ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Add a New People Read This First section?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorn

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject: Add a New People Read This First section?

Hey guys, I was thinking, it seems guaranteed that people who come to this site frequently ask questions that they could find the answers to very easily if they read the sticked threads in the various sections of the site.

However, having been recently(ish) new myself, I can attest that its all a bit overwhelming.

What do you think to having a section that is First at the top of the list, above CJ Discussion called "NEW CONTACT JUGGLERS ORIENTATION" and put all the sticked threads in there. One for what balls to use and the merits of various types, the 'where can I buy balls' thread, the 'where do you find tutorials' thread, etc etc.

If it's all at the top of the forum labeled specifically for new people with all the basic questions in there already, maybe it would cut down on that sort of thign.

What do you think?

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
su-nami

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject:

i concur, its hard to know where to start sometimes, so the same questions get asked over and over and wreck heads. (sorry for my part in the head wrecking =) )
Spazzle

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

Good idea Thorn - Its also a shame that posts with great newbie info and advice get buried pretty quick in amongst topics for the more experienced CJer. Perhaps just create and fill a pure newbies section with sticky threads and those great posts you come across after a bit of digging?
mot
admin

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

Do you mean like this one?

http://contactjuggling.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=34

In my opinion people tend to ignore the annoucements and read me things. True there are a few too many on this site, but I reckon it's part of being a new user. It's nice to get a personal response to your intial questions even though they have been asked and answered before. It creates more of a personal connections to the older users on the site.

I'm quite against the "do a search" and "thats been discussed before" responses. I dont think they give a good intial vibe to the new users and probably scares a few of them away. So i my eyes a few friendly words and a careful nudge in the right direction is the best option. We were all new and we all asked the same questions before, it's just part of the package.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject:

I think Thorn meant like a new forum section, some sort of airlock to the forum, have a whole section for those uber newbie questions. Seems like a good idea to me. HOP have just introduced something similar.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE

Last edited by PorcuBrine on Thu Nov 01, 2024 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Thorn

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject:

Mot, when I was new, I never noticed that thread at all. That's my point. Create a room that's clearly marked New People Stuff where they can find those things and read, but not let the new people twist in the wind.

Totally having the regulars reach out and be welcoming is one of the things that charmed me most when I first got here. If new people post things in the New Person Forum, that doesn't preclude the rest of us from being welcoming and helpful.

Illumilatte

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject:

And if someone is sick of answering ball questions, they don't have to read those posts

I think it's a good idea Thorn. I felt the same way...I did read the stickies when I started, but typically I read the first post or two in each sticky thread when I suppose I should've kept going further down but I just thought it was people responding/whatever.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a good idea to me too.

A new forum section entitled something like 'New to CJ?'

Would be great. then all those annoying ball questions would be all in one place and I don't need to look at them, unless I'm in a strangely helpful mood.

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
Drew

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject:

perhaps this could be developed
http://contactjuggling.org/wiki//Beginners_guide_to_contactjuggling
nioupy

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject:

[quote="mot"]Do you mean like this one?

http://contactjuggling.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=34

In my opinion people tend to ignore the annoucements and read me things. True there are a few too many on this site, but I reckon it's part of being a new user. It's nice to get a personal response to your intial questions even though they have been asked and answered before. It creates more of a personal connections to the older users on the site.

I'm quite against the "do a search" and "thats been discussed before" responses. I dont think they give a good intial vibe to the new users and probably scares a few of them away. So i my eyes a few friendly words and a careful nudge in the right direction is the best option. We were all new and we all asked the same questions before, it's just part of the package.[/quote]

I totally agree with mot on that

but i also think that a forum for beginners would be a plus, that way, when a new member (i hate this "newbie" word, it sounds so much like it's a bad thing, to start a new activity and bother those who know) ask something that's been asked and asked again, we can quickly (and politely) refer him to the correct post in those thread.

And because I am really optimistic, there might even be a few newcomers who will read those posts before asking more info
rkbaker
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I have been thinking of a special section where the most useful posts are moved. Do you think that this approach would accomplish what your after?

Your ideas and input are always appreciated.

/r
mot
admin

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Yup, that plan would actually cover the problem.

Solution

As far as that post grading/nominating thing goes, we'll have to see how we get that working. But an intial forum could be whipped together pretty quickly. A mission for sunday, unless someone beats me to it.
Thorn

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, sounds good.

ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Site Suggestions / Development / Bug Findings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: