ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Starting a juggling group - Advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenMonk

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Starting a juggling group - Advice needed

An idea jumped into my brain several weeks ago and hasn't let go yet. So I guess I should either do something about it or wallop it into leaving me alone.

I was thinking about how much time I make to practice CJ (nowhere near enough) and decided that the only way I'll make the time is if I have some type of structure to it. And the best way to do that and hold myself to it is if there are other like-minded people around me doing it too. So, I was thinking I should start a local juggling group.

I'd like it to encompass all forms of juggling, not just CJing. There are lots of things in the juggling world I'd like to learn (clubs, poi, diablos, sticks, etc.) I figure a juggling group would be a good place to learn. It would also be a good place to teach (not that I can teach a lot just yet) because you learn more while trying to figure out how to teach it to other people.

So, does anyone have any advice on starting / running a juggling group? How often should it meet? Once a month? Twice a month? Once a week? Any suggestions on where I should hold it? Or how I should approach potential organizations where I might hold the meetings?

Any and all responses would be appreciated.
ljcoombes

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject:

The first thing you should do is check to see if there are already any juggling groups in your area. The Juggling Information Service is a good place to start.

If there isn't already a club nearby, then starting one is your next best option. The answers to a lot of your questions will depend on your location, and social climate, though. I see that you are in Texas. If you are near a decent sized city, your chances of building a successful juggling club are fairly good. Meeting once a week generally works well. If you have good weather, then meeting at a local park works well. I know of some people who work out deals with local churches to get practice space in exchange for doing a few juggling shows throughout the year and teaching juggling to the youth groups. Some schools will also be willing to provide space for a juggling club, if you are a student, or can get a student involved who is willing to start the club.

If you are in a more remote area, you will have a difficult time finding enough local jugglers to keep a club going. In that case, you will need to CREATE more jugglers. That is a lot easier to do if you are a student, or have a lot of social interaction where you can get people interested enough to come play with you. If there are very few people around, then your best bet is to get a friend interested and practice with them.
Illumilatte

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject:

where in TX are you located?
GreenMonk

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject:

[quote="ljcoombes"]The first thing you should do is check to see if there are already any juggling groups in your area. The Juggling Information Service is a good place to start.[/quote]

Yes, I've checked the JIS and there are three existing clubs in Houston. One at Rice University, one at U of H, and one other one. None are terribly close to me and I'd like something a little more 'local'.

There are several community colleges in the area but I don't know anyone attending them that might be able to help get a group started on campus. Not to say it wouldn't be impossible but I don't think it would be as easy as if I could follow your suggestion.

As for my friends, none of them want to learn to juggle. Thus the need to start a group.
Royal

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject:

Maybe have meetings in a public place like a park or something? For one thing, the grass is good, for another people may come and ask what you're doing? Bam, new member!
Cameron

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I started a club a few years back at a park i no longer run that because i talked some of my early members into takeing over and we now have 3 clubs in the area all at student unions at the differnt collages in the area! GREAT PLACES to build members quickly and get funding if some of your members are students... official club status is a DAMN Good thing! If you know any jugglers at a collage get the involved... pick a semi populated space and just start juggling there on a weekly schedule... and tell people that ask that its the new juggling club... and you will be there every week... and teach them to juggle... once they start they cant stop... we have more girls at the one club then guys... its nice.. =) haha It makes me quite happy... mind you all the guys take it more seriously and are better but some of the girls are starting to get good too =)
su2po

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2024 11:23 pm    Post subject:

if your in college thats a good place to start, ask if you can start a juggling socioty in the college and you may even get funding for eqiuptment, tho im not sure how all of that works in the u.s. if your not in college then ljcoombes idea bout the church halls is your best bet or community centers in my experience local art councils love this sort of thing. tis just my oppinion anyway, good luck spreading the jugglyness
GreenMonk

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject:

[quote="Royal"]Maybe have meetings in a public place like a park or something? For one thing, the grass is good, for another people may come and ask what you're doing? Bam, new member![/quote]

I'd like to have the meetings someplace where we could play both inside and outside. Parks would be great but Texas heat in the summer (not to mention the mosquitos!) would make practicing outside difficult at best.
GreenMonk

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2024 4:05 am    Post subject:

There is a local community college in the area. I'll check with them and see if there might be a place on campus I could use. Failing that, I'll look into some of the churches in the area and see if one of them might have some space I could use.
Royal

Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject:

Ah yes. Mosquitos. I always forget about those cause none really live in my area. XD
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: