New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 behind the neck rolls
Author: michael glenn 
Date:   06-03-02 22:37

I've been having pretty good success with my behind the neck rolls. You know the one that the sphere rolls behind the neck! :>)
I see that Silver is doing it and rumor says that Daniel has it also.
How about anyone else?
Because inquiring minds want to know.

Be Well,

Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Re: behind the neck rolls
Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   06-03-02 23:17

The first time I ever tried one (with a 100mm Mr. B), I did it perfectly-- I was like-- 'whoa, that was easy!' ... ... how do you say, uh fluke. Since then I haven't really been working on them at all. My favorite way-too-hard thing to practice at the moment is head stalls and rolls.
Cheers,
Robin

P.S. When do we get to see that gnarly stack, roll, switch, stack thingy, Michael?

Reply To This Message

Author: seb 
Date:   06-04-02 00:21

hey mike any tips on how to go about learning these rolls would be great. i keep crashing the ball into my neck when i try do these..
cheeeers
seb

Reply To This Message

Author: Kae Verens 
Date:   06-04-02 10:43

I can do it, although, as Robin says, it's sometimes a matter of luck.

As for instructions - roll the ball as if going for a chest roll (backarm roll, the ball goes across the front of the shoulder, above the armpit).

As the ball approaches the chest, duck your head under it.

If you roll slowly, you'll have more control.

Use a large ball at first.

If the ball rolls down your back, cross it deeper at the shoulder, and duck your head lower.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Author: Arron 
Date:   06-04-02 14:40

Not real good at these but I get one to work once in a while. My approach is sort of like a point to point method. I start with the ball in the right cradle position and aim the ball towards my right elbow. I try to almost halt the ball at my elbow, at least slow it down a little and then aim the ball for the next point which is the little pocket on the back of my neck between my shoulder blades. If I can get to this point, behind my head, then I can usually get the ball the rest of the way around.

My advice, for what it is worth, it to experiment tossing and catching a stageball behind your head, on the back of your neck. Once you build up that control point, you should be closer to getting the trick down. If you are having trouble catching the ball in this position think of it as sort of a bow from the waist up. Toss the ball in the air, watch it until the last possible moment, duck and bow your upper body and raise your arms straight out to your sides. As you raise your arms your shoulder blades will form a little pocket for the ball to roll into. Raising your arms out to the side will make the trick a lot easier. Again I think it is a matter of building up control points and then "connecting the dots."

Reply To This Message

Author: Ryan 
Date:   06-04-02 18:57

I have a different approach to this trick.

There are two variations. One is a body roll like the outside arm roll posted in the moves section, where the ball rolls up the arm slightly higher and, after dropping the head down, it travels behind the neck instead of across the chest and down the other arm. The trick forms a circle in front of you.

Another way of attempting the rolls is more like a piroette. With the ball in the right hand cradle, hold the arm out, crossing your arm in front of the chest so the hand and ball are on the left hand side of your body. The ball rolls down the back of the arm while you step and turn 'into' the roll. Turning 180 degrees, the ball rolls across the back and down the other arm, and the body turns another 180 degrees to come back to facing the audience The tricky part is adjusting the amount of 'stepping into the roll' to get the trick. Step in too much and the ball will cross the back and roll off the front of the left shoulder, step in not enough and the ball will roll down the back.

Hope that made sense.

Reply To This Message

pirouette behind the neck rolls
Author: silver 
Date:   06-04-02 20:03

now and again i find i can (particularly with a basketball) do a perfect pirouette on my left foot and a behind the neck roll going from the right cradle.

the snag is only when i'm not thinking about it.........................

this is a trick daniels put a lot of work into.

p.s. there isn't a behind the neck roll on the vid!

pps there might be but i don't think i was so wasted i've forgotten.........

Reply To This Message

Re: pirouette behind the neck rolls
Author: mdamelio 
Date:   06-04-02 22:50

Yes and from what I understand Daniel has gotten it mastered pretty well, at least that was the update from some friends who went and hung out with him for awhile. He attempts this in his comp vid from cjc, if I'm not mistaken.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Daniels Pirouette
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   06-05-02 01:28

I appologize for not posting the last time this question came up.
Daniel has sent me a tape with some great pirouette's on them.
So I would post them.
But, the camera is still travelling on the world dvd tour and it is the only camera I have right now.
So I will have to wait until it returns to post any of those images.

If anyone else is interested in being involved in the DVD let me know.
I am still interested in putting as many people on the DVD as possible.

To all of those people working on things.
Please let me know how it is going.
You know who you are.
To everyone else interested just email me.

I hope to be able to post one of Daniel's pirouette's soon.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Re: Daniels Pirouette
Author: michael glenn 
Date:   06-05-02 03:26

Thanks for all the response,

Robin I can't figure out how to save things as an avi. or mov. file, so I'm having diffuculty with posting any of my stuff yet. Lance suggested saving it as a mov. from quicktime, but I can't figure it out still. Any advice would be appreciated!

Onto my tip for a behind the neck roll, I treat it as a body roll but when it gets to the bicep I duck my head forward and shift towards the sphere. That's the key to me is moving towards the sphere once your neck is down.
I hope this helps!

Be Well,

michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Author: Daniel Kerr 
Date:   06-05-02 13:26

Hi Rich,

My friend has just splashed out on an £800 digital camera and he can film up to 60 seconds with it. Shall I just film some moves and send them in now (piroutte, neck roll, shoulder roll) or shall I wait for you to send them in. When would you be able to send them in? When Rich? When?

Let me know so that I can decide whether it would be worth doing. Also is the server on this site messed up, if so then where shall I send them Rich? Where Rich? Where?

BYE BYE

See you all in Florida, god willing,

I've been busking in York lately and my street act is getting better, so maybe I'll make enough to get there.

Reply To This Message

Camera Time
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   06-05-02 15:51

Daniel

If you can re record with a friend you may want to.
I have not been able to get a hold of the camera or a time for the camera's arrival for a few days now.

So I won't have it back for a little while I think.
That is the When answer.

As soon as I get it I will post one ASAP.

As far as where to send the files.
If it is small enough. Under a meg.
You could email it to me and I can post it on a server.
If you are posting it here at .org I would ask Kae the best way to do that.

Sorry for the delay.
I hope to see you in FL. Would Andrew be coming too?

Talk to you soon.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Re: Camera Time
Date:   06-05-02 16:34

I will have the external moves thingy working in about half an hour, so you can mail them to me, Daniel, and I'll place them on Infinite Illusions' server so .org can link to them (finally found a great way to take advantage of the sponsorship!).

Kae
ps: thanks for the space, GReg, and doing a "df -h", I notice you have a _lot_ of space on your servers!

Reply To This Message

Author: Shifty 
Date:   06-05-02 16:36

Lemme know when the external Moves linking submission is done on your end Kae, I'll test it out over here.

Shifty

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-05-02 16:59

sorry about that - it's been done for almost half an hour - fire away!

working on the upload at the moment.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shifty 
Date:   06-05-02 17:07

Nope, doesn't work either way still, Linking to a new move, or Linking to an existing move, Submitting it didnt yield anything else either.

Shifty

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Author: Daniel Kerr 
Date:   06-05-02 17:15

I won't have the moves done till this weekend anyway. Good luck with sorting those problems lads.

BYE BYE

P.S-Yes Rich, Andy is also on a mission to make it to florida.

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-05-02 17:50

I think I know what the problem is...

as you can see here:
http://contactjuggling.org/test.html

PHP4.0.3 is used on this server. That's a primitive system (not only that, but it's in CGI mode instead of module!).

open_basedir, upload_tmp_dir and file_uploads don't have values.

*sigh* I think this is all recent...

next week, I hope to have a new server ready, with my own personal configuration on it, so all problems should be gone.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-05-02 17:53

oh yeah... Shifty, you should be able to link external files in now. There's still work needed doing to link to existing moves, but the new ones should be working fine.

the reason you couldn't do it a short while ago is that I was using "post" as the method for uploading instead of "get", and the server doesn't like "post" + "multipart/form-data" (another reason we can't upload...)

Kae

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   06-05-02 19:29

Hey Michael, what format CAN you save them in? Let me know and maybe I can help convert them.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   06-05-02 19:30

Hey Daniel, if you need to, you can send the videos to me and I can host them for a while on my page.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Neck catches, from head roll
Author: Tom B 
Date:   06-12-02 12:26

I am suprised that no one mentioned getting into a neck catch, from a head roll. Basically roll it from a forehead balance over your head, then balance in the neck catch. Its hard, but possible. I have landed it maybe 2 or 3 times, out of hundreds of attempts.
I have also seen some one go from a temple balance around the side of the head to a neck catch, then around to the other temple.
Tom B

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    Work your weaker arm, twice as much as your strong one..