New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Practice time?
Author: michael glenn 
Date:   05-19-02 15:34

How many hours a week do you spend practicing?
For me if I don't practice 15 hours a week I feel pretty lame about my efforts. Anyone else?

Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Re: Practice time?
Author: Chico 
Date:   05-19-02 19:20

Now adays I'm lucky to get in 7 or 8 a week. Back when I had little else to do, I'd put in between 30 to 70. I think Ian practices an ungodly ammount with some consitency.

Chico The Showoff

Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-19-02 19:25

I practice about 15 I'd say. I can do it at work when I'm bored which is alot, so maybe even more. Good thread Michael.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Author: thegoldenchicken 
Date:   05-19-02 20:30

Jeez.

Well, when school is out, I try to get in about at least two hours a day (this is toss and CJ, I go between the two) So that adds up to about 14 or 15 hours a week.
When I have school, I'm luckey if I get to practice 15 or 20 minutes a weekday, and maybe an hour or two on the weekends, so on a GOOD week, I'll average about 3 hours a week. (Again, of both toss and CJ.)

Yeah, that's why I suck. (-;

-|Joe|-

Reply To This Message

Author: Arron 
Date:   05-19-02 22:16

It kind of varies.

I have my stage ball with me at work and I pick it up whenever I'm bored, so all told probably get in at least 20-30 minutes a day. The great thing about contact juggling is that you can do it just about anytime, so I practice whenever or wherever I can.

One thing that has helped me was something that Shifty once told me about practicing. Shifty said that he practices a lot in front of people and it gives him confidence when performing. So over the last year or so I have made a concious effort to call a little more attention to myself when I am practicing, I try to draw a bit of a crowd, it's usually just my friends at work, but it is a crowd never-the-less. As a result I have become a little more confident about peforming tricks in front of people, I now have a better grasp of the tricks that I can perform in front of people confidently and those that still need some work. Just thought I would pass that along, and thanks Shifty, by the way.

Reply To This Message

Author: Axl Rose 
Date:   05-20-02 04:06

Well, I practice all the time, walking the halls in school I do butterflies and transfers and such, during class I palmspin (have to be careful not to let them clack too much), and during lunch I do body rolls and such because we have a nice lawn to eat on. I do admit it is harder both to walk and to CJ when you do them at the same time but it really helps your balance on your hands. Also, as said before, it gets you out in front of people so you become used to performing in front of a crowd. I never leave the house without at least two balls. I do admit, though, that carrying all those balls can be a bit tedious. (I sometimes carry three 2.5 inchers, four poolballs, and a 3incher. It depends on my mood whether I take them all, though.)

Reply To This Message

Author: Brad 
Date:   05-20-02 07:22

Axl, I never leave the house without at least two balls either. I usually take my 3" acrylic too.

About practice time, I'd say maybe once or twice a week I actually sit down for a solid hour or two and practice. This past week I got in at least 3 of those sessions, so it was a good week. But aside from that I'd say I spend at least an hour with my ball, in broken up bits and pieces because I'm walking to and from class, or just walking around campus or something. Last week I had a good experience, I was stuck in the airport for several hours waiting for a flight, so I found a spot and practiced for probably 2 hours. Also while in Denmark I had a couple times where I sat by the fountain for an hour or so while waiting for my brother to get out of class. But now I'm back at school and have tons of work to catch up on, so I probably won't have as much free time to play with my balls.

Reply To This Message

Author: Veikko Sariola 
Date:   05-20-02 10:08

thih,

one day I realized I'm carrying too much juggling equipment because my backpack couldn't hold anything but my balls and clubs :) Nowadays I always carry twelve balls (three silicones and nine bean bags) with me, because these are all around balls (ok the silicones aren't really but if I juggle indoors I rather use silicones than acrylics). I'm too concerned about my acrylics (I recently bought a 4") that I don't have the guts to use them everywhere. I practice with it only in parks (never even at home) and use it only on special occasions ("performing" although I don't really perform, I just entertain friends and people at parties and such), oh and back to the topic, I practice a few hours a day, maybe something like 20 hours a week. Depends on the mood.

Oh btw, I just remembered how cool palmspinning can be last weekend, because I got to do 5b work :) I own only 4 2.5" so I haven't had the chance to explore this field. Back to juggling store ->

- Veikko / Pestis

Reply To This Message

Author: Shifty 
Date:   05-20-02 16:37

Well I've found that palmspinning is much easier to find time to practice than bodyrolling. You can palmspin while watching tv, doing homework, driving a car (not recommended unless your a nutball like I am), or sitting in class like Axl. I carry 8 acrylics with me at all times. 5-2.75's , 1-3 , 1-3.5. I don't even consider it a bother anymore. They are in a bag I picked up at WalMart for 4.99 and it hangs behind me. Because of this I don't think I could tell you how much practice time I get in. Basically if I have a hand free, I'll give it something to work on. And if both arn't busy, then I'll do some bodyrolling. I have to take into account where I am, and who is around. I'm not gonna practice chestrolls in a glassware shop, and like the tip I gave Arron, if there are people around, I want to make sure to practice things that will grab their attention.

I can say that each night while I am laying in bed, I practice palmspinning for 30 minutes per hand before I turn off the TV and fall asleep. My left hand practices from 2:00-2:30 while Bugs and Daffy cartoons are on, and my right hand gets its time when Tom & Jerry are on at 2:30-3:00.

Ok, thats enough mindless Jabber for now.

Shifty

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Author: michael glenn 
Date:   05-20-02 17:07

You guys rock! Just reading these posts inspires me to practice even more!

Be Well,
Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Author: Ryan 
Date:   05-20-02 17:26

Well, like many of the other people hear my house is littered with balls that I can pick up at any time and mess about with. And new things are often discovered by this, but I don't know if I'd really classify it as practice time. When I practice, its really focused and organized. Right now my week is divided between countless hours of experimentation at my house, 10 to 20 hours of street preformance and only about 8 hours of solid practice. Maybe not as much as the rest of you, but it is a balance that works for me...

Reply To This Message

Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   05-20-02 20:12

I do 7 to 20ish hours a week. Of course I mix Didjeridu and Shakuhachi in with my practice so probably 7 to 15 solid hours of spheres. I'm on a computer all day (sometimes 16 hours straight ) so have to really "juggle" time on my tendons and muscles. It's a bit annoying sometimes when I simply can't allow myself to practice because I've already over worked my hands on the #$%&ing; computer. This is where the didj practice really kicks in and makes it all ok.
Cheers,
Robin

Reply To This Message

Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   05-20-02 20:24

Yes he (Ian) must put in an ungodly amount of practice-- his routine is disgustingly tight-- flawless and ballsy. How much do you practice, Ian? I'll be down on the promenade on the 1st with a fellow didj player and a vioilin palyer doing a variety of things, hope to see you there.
Cheers,
Robin

Reply To This Message

Author: ian pugh 
Date:   05-20-02 21:52

when i was first learning, i was like chico, sometimes 70 hours a week....but i was getting paid to practice so that makes a huge difference. nowadays, i practice for a few hours a week....though i count performance time as practice also, as im always trying to make things better even when im working, so that adds up another 20 or so hours a week.

i'll be out every weekend, robin, so i'll see you out there. i look forward to your show.

e

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   05-20-02 22:10

Geeze! I'm such a loser! I hardly practice at all!!! I probably put in an hour a week or so. Sometimes more, sometimes none at all! I USED to practice a lot, but I have stopped for the most part. That's why I have such a limited number of moves. I just have too many dang hobbies! Between, cj, toss juggling, rock climbing, skating, tennis, musical saw, watching movies, accordian, fan manipulation, yoyos, computers, kid, girlfriend, work, camping, and whatever else I happen to be playing with... I just don't have much time for practice. If I happen to be sitting in my living room, I will often pick up a ball and start practicing arm rolls or something, but it is a rare occassion that I just happen to be sitting in my living room.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Author: Twilight 
Date:   05-21-02 01:40

Wow, I really need to get to work and find more practice time. I know what ya mean Lance about having too many things to do. I have two kids and with school letting out soon I need to find the time now if I want to have good progress before cjc. Heck, I have to find time before my summer series of shows start since I have a contact piece in it. Anyhow, I only get in about 7 hours each week when I'm lucky.
Twilight

Reply To This Message

I suck and now I know why
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   05-21-02 03:18

I too in the early youth did 70 hours a week when I could. I am old now. But Ferret is older, and he looks better, DAMN!

I even stopped watching TV for a while to CJ. Before I found out about Palm Spinning in front of TV.

These days I don't practice enough and it shows.
So I will ask Ian the question.

How do I, (Insert your name here) get a gig to practice and get paid?(7 bucks an hour is cool by me.)

Thanks for any help Ian.

My only advice to any budding CJer who look at this thread is be consistent.

Even if you can only do 10 minutes a day. Do that. Don't say "I will get it tomorrow, twice as much." Cuz it ain't better to do it that way. And I should know.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Author: Matt 
Date:   05-22-02 02:35

I try to pull at least 7 - 10 hours of straight CJ, but that's tricky when factoring in all the other stuff I love to play with. Learning clubs has really cut down my practice time, but as I get better at that I'm getting back to the other stuff I love.

Ahh, the life of a newbie juggler! So much to explore!

-Matt

Reply To This Message

Author: K'Tesh 
Date:   05-22-02 09:49

I too count performance time as practice time, I do two to four hours at Saturday Market (Saturday and Sunday both) typically, and then practice as I can on weekdays/nights
I figure I probably get in about 8 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Keep on Rolling
Qapla'
K'Tesh

Reply To This Message

Author: weightless 
Date:   05-23-02 09:01

rich-
i "work" as a night auditor and get paid $8 an hour to sit here for a solid 5 hours in the middle of an 8 hour shift. it was really sweet. unfortunately, i pushed my palmspinning WAY too hard and have been down with tendonitis in my right wrist for the past three months. it's been back to the footbag for me.

Reply To This Message

Author: Marz Kelly 
Date:   05-29-02 23:13

I personally practice, on average, 2 hrs. a day on weekdays and 4 hrs. a day on weekends. However, I feel I must qualify this so as not to make others think that they practice too little. Most of my practice time comes while just 'walking around', I bring 4 three inchers with me wherever I go and always whip them out at the most inappropriate of moments. I must say though that if you learn to do a good fast routine (40-45 moves a min. for me) on a moving subway train, then you can do it anywhere. I also spend 1/2 to 1 hr. a day with random manipulations: long fire staff, two short staffs, poi, fire fans, sticks (single ended staff, like a juggling torch but 3" longer), or doing spins with a 3 1/2 foot, mirrored, square pipe framed openwork cube I constructed some time ago (That thing is damned cool.). I switch around a lot as I dont want to neglect one skill and suddenly find out that I suck. *Grins*

Oh, also, I seem to sleep not much more than 4 hrs. a night.

Marz (Tare@boxfrog.com)

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    Brush your teeth with the other hand-- no really..