New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 aerotech vs. mathmos
Author: joha 
Date:   05-16-02 02:33

I have a mathmos tumbler, and I just love it, tho I can't imagine attempting to CJ with it ;]
I wanted to get a bubble or a globall. The bubbles are only one color, and totally nonprogammable, but the are 3.1 inches vs. the globall at 2.5. I was wondering what people's opinions were of each, and what they ended up paying. Thanks guys.

Reply To This Message

Re: aerotech vs. mathmos
Author: Matte Black 
Date:   05-16-02 03:25

I love my Mathmos balls...

My major issue with the Aerotech balls is that they're just not big enough. They're perfect for juggling, and I'd give my left bicuspid for a set of 5 red/blue Glo-Ball Pros, but they don't have the size and weight for really decent contact.

I took my Mathmos balls out to a trance party in London last Friday - great stuff, except they get very slippery once the sweat starts and again, I'm used to the weight and feel of acrylics. Until someone comes along with acrylics with invisible fibre-optics inside, I'll have to be content. Gadget Shop just dropped their price on Mathmos balls to £30, while globalls start at that range and just go UP and UP in price...

Happy drops. Aerotech balls are also notoriously hardy.

-=Matte=-

Reply To This Message

Author: Shifty 
Date:   05-16-02 04:21

Matte, so there is a shop by you that sells them? What colors, I am looking into getting one, but I would need someone in the UK to buy it for me and mail it over here, I wouldnt need the charger just the ball, you think you'd be able to do that If I can scrape some loot together? I played with Ferrets blue ones and they are indeed great for contact juggling, pretty decent balance, and a good weight. I'm about to make another Major Acrylic purchase soon though.. But this one is one of a kind thank god.. But anyways, Lemme know if you think youd be up to it.

Shifty

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Author: ian pugh 
Date:   05-16-02 12:08

you can buy them in the states now, shifty. theres a store near where i perform that sells them called 'dom'.

i can contact juggle just fine with a 2.5 inch ball, so i dont have the dislike for areotech's ball size that matte has. i would rather have a larger ball, too, however.

it depends on what you want to do with the prop. they both look very nice. the areotech ball is considerably brighter. it also doesnt get dirty as easily and is much easier to clean...

areotechs gonna be more expensive, but mathmos arent cheap, so for the price difference, im a fan of the areotech balls (if you can hang with the smaller size)

Reply To This Message

Author: Shifty 
Date:   05-16-02 16:37

Ian How much does the store sell them for?

S

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-16-02 18:04

75 bucks.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-18-02 17:11

The Mathmos balls go for anywhere between £30 and £40. Bear in mind as well that they don't have a consistent glow all over the ball, it does look a little patchy. They come in blue, red and green, green the brightest, red the sexiest, and blue just a little bit of sneaky class (at least that's how I see them).

I can pick them up easily enough, if you like I'll see what it'll take to mail them. The Mathmos site does say that they should be available in the States, but you might have to look around a bit.

Yours in balls
=-Matte-=

Reply To This Message

Author: Teo 
Date:   05-18-02 18:51

Ok, I am, trying to piece all of this together because these last two posts have been my first exposure to either mathmos or aerotech balls, so someone just let me know if I have all of these facts straight....

1. Aerotech manufactures globalls. (Now, are they programmable or is the only way to change colors when you tap them?) They can be purchased in the States (that is where I am), but are more expensive The downfall being the size, 2.5, but they are much brighter and change colors.

2. Mathmos makes the bubble ball. They are not programmbale and cant change color. They are however 3.1 inches, more like an acrylic, but not as bright and have a dull spot where you plug it in. Less expensive and only available in the UK.

Is this all right? Just trying to make sure I got all the info correc about these, because I am looking into buying some and wanna know all the little details before I do... thanks a bunch with puttin up with and helping the uninformed buyer! ;)

Reply To This Message

Re:
Date:   05-19-02 08:12

well fyi: i got my mathmos tumbler from a candian company called lamp lust, at www.lamplust.com
they have great service, and they deliver in the states (where i live) for free, or they did a while ago.
they have the bubbles for 110 canadian, which is about 71 us dollars. and the globall's from aerotech are 79 pounds or about 115 us dollars, and i dont think they come with chargers whereas the bubbles do. the bubble also charges faster and has 6 hours of life, which is at least 2 hours longer than an aerotech. although the bubble isnt programmable, and is only one color, it seems to be a much better price. but what im wondering is, how do they "feel". i'm pretty broke so i'm leaning toward the bubble, but if anyone has any other glowing recommendations regarding the globall id love to hear them :]

Reply To This Message

Re:
Author: Twilight 
Date:   05-19-02 14:15

I checked the Lamplust site and they don't seem to carry the Aerotech anymore. Does anyone else have a source to get them in the states? Also, for an extra fee does anyone know if it's possible to pick your own color combinations?

Reply To This Message

Hey Twilight
Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-19-02 18:39

Hey Twilight!! Haven't seen you around in awhile. This is Mickey, you met me and my Fiance Melissa at cjc. You going this year??

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Author: Rob 
Date:   05-19-02 20:36

Teo, I have used both the Mathmos and the Aerotech balls for contact juggling. The Mathmos balls are 3 1/8 inches in diameter and are made of silicone, though they don't feel anything like the silicone balls used for bounce juggling. The surface is quite soft to the touch and fairly pleasant to handle/contact juggle. They are not perfectly spherical, there is a flat bit (just under 1/2 inch in diameter) where the charging socket is and a slight depression on the opposite side of the ball where you squeeze it to turn it on and off. These slight deformations don't really present much of a problem for contact juggling though. They glow very brightly when fully charged, but the glow isn't that even - you can see where the 3 leds are and there are dark areas where the switch and the charging socket are. This means that you can see it rolling rather than it giving that floaty weightless look of a ball with no reference points on it - it is still pretty though. For palm spinning they are OK providing you can keep them separate, 2 is fine, 3 of them is fairly tricky but definitely possible - I find it a bit of a stretch on the hand as they are slightly larger than would be ideal.

I don't know how much abuse they can take, but I would say definitely not as much as the aerotech balls, which were actually designed for juggling. The Mathmos balls are just supposed to be lamps.

The Aerotch balls are just over 2 1/2 inches in diameter and feel much more solid. They are coated in some kind of slightly rubbery plastic and they are very hard to the touch. They are perfectly spherical apart from the fairly large hole where the charging socket is. The glow is bright (not quite as bright as the Mathmos) and more even then the mathmos balls (they have 4 leds rather then 3) but still not completely even. They are a similar weight to an acrylic of the same size, and quite good for palm spinning, though obviously you need to keep them separate because they really stick together.

The Mathmos balls retailed at £39.99 last year when I got mine, but I believe they may be cheaper now. Aerotech balls cost from £30 (red, orange, yellow) to £79 (programmable red/blue) - see their website for more details.

I hope this helps you decide,

Rob

Reply To This Message

Author: Teo 
Date:   05-19-02 20:42

Thanks Rob, that helps a lot :)

Reply To This Message

Re: Hey Mickey
Author: Twilight 
Date:   05-19-02 22:13

Hi Mickey
I've been here. Yeah, I'm going to cjc this year. See ya there.
Twilight

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-20-02 05:30

my globall pro is much brighter than my mathmos ball, even when i have the mathmos plugged in.

i can do most isolations with the globall pro when i have it set to a fast strobe, as this makes any dark spots disappear and keeps the ball cahnging so you cant see the differences well enough to make out reference.

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   05-20-02 21:35

Oooh. Fast strobe! That sounds really cool! Okay, I may have to break down and get me some of them!

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-22-02 01:17

Don't get me wrong, the Aerotech balls are lovely. For juggling. They can be as programmable as you like if you pay the extra for all the chips and whatever they put in them, and you can just get the strobes for less than the full-on programmable capabilities.

But, the mathmos balls are bigger and we know that bigger balls are better for both handling and visibility. That's why a friend of mine has a set of 4" acrylics and I hate him for it :)

Easiest way, find someone who has one or three of any of them, try them. I think this is another one of those Personal Preference things. I like my Mathmos balls, but I'd love a set of globalls because my 3-ball juggling has recently reached new heights/levels/technical whatever.

I don't know. I'll go back to sleep now...

0-=Matte=-0

Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-22-02 02:16

Hey CJC seems like a good place to check out these various balls, I know that ferret has a few mathmos balls and someone can bring some globalls, and we'll see how they fare. Can't wait.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-22-02 06:57

well i went ahead and ordered a mathmos ball cause i just couldnt wait, and i wanted one of larger size. ill let you guys know my opinions ;]

ps: i got a blue one...seemed to be the best color, how bout you guys?

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-22-02 17:41

green is my favorite color of the mix from mathmos, blue my second favorite tied with red. the blue ball has a shorter glow time than the other balls...the red ball stays bright the longest, all of them glow for a very long time none-the-less.

as for visibility, with light up balls, visibility isnt an issue. people can easily see me three blocks away with the areotech balls. but when you get use to larger balls, downsizing does suck to get use to.

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    carry your balls wherever you go.