forum
FAQ
events
Valid XHTML 1.0
Valid CSS
Be kind to your Neighbors
this site is sponsored by Infinite Illusions

General
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Contact Juggling Juggling
Author: Sky 
Date:   04-03-02 03:21

I was trying a few things with the balls today and I just started juggling, because well... I can juggle. (Not contact juggling, just juggling three balls, pins, etc) Now I'm curious.. does anyone add three (or more)ball juggling into their contact juggling routines?

-Sky
Reply To This Message

Re: Contact Juggling Juggling
Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   04-03-02 20:19

Yes. A lot of us do. I have a few things that I do to mix them, thegoldenchicken has, from what I understand, worked on a bunch of stuff. I know a lot of others have worked on this as well. It produces some very nice results.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.
Reply To This Message

Author: David Kaplan 
Date:   04-03-02 21:01

I try not to, just 'cause i really dont like dropping the acrylics, plus I dont think they look nice when tossed. They lose some of their magic when they are not floating accross an arm. When tossed, the spectator realizes that they have weight, and that gravity does apply to them, so they are less likely to think "hey, that thing is magical"
-David Kaplan
Reply To This Message

Author: Matte 
Date:   04-03-02 21:34

I find it's part of the magic to throw them around - your audience always appreciates a quick burst of (apparently) clumsy juggling with (apparently) crystal balls, and if you can throw in a butterfly or two in a pattern and then end with an inside-elbow catch, or even better a three-ball rolling cascade on your arm, you've got it made.

I also tend to drop my acrylics a bit for a quick *gasp* value, a bit of bounce to reveal they're not actually fragile - but then again my balls have only recently received the attention of polish after three years or so of abuse. If you're not a good juggler, it may not be such a hot idea on concrete surfaces...

-=Matte=-
Reply To This Message

Date:   04-03-02 22:23

I very rarely drop durring a show, and usually it isn't while toss juggling, it's while trying to pull a particularly difficult contact trick. So far, I have had nothing but compliments on combining the two forms and have pleased a larger audience. Not everybody likes contact juggling as much as toss juggling and vice versa. The toss juggling that I incorporate with my cj consists of mostly flowing patterns and extreme movement which fits in with my show well. I use a LOT of body movement in my cj AND my toss juggling, so it all flows together smoothly.

--
Reply To This Message

Author: ian pugh 
Date:   04-03-02 23:04

i dont know, watching someone juggle 5 three inch acrylics is a beautiful and magical looking thing. i think the prop is incredibly versatile. on the right surface, you can even do some fun bounce/drop stuff with them.
Reply To This Message

Author: Aaron A. Gitzen 
Date:   04-03-02 23:15

Yeah good smooth patterns to really sell the idea of weightlessness also the feeling of motion and rolling. I think lance is onto something there. Three ball Mills Mess has sort of a rolling feel to it. There is another three ball pattern that I call the windmill which is sort of a half mills mess, I think that it is described in the Charley Dancey book. Both of these patterns seem to fit really well into a routine. You can also do a normal three ball cascade and catch the incomming ball on your fingertips, then allow it to roll down your arm and off the elbow. Charley Dancey calls this "ball surfing." You might want to check out Dancey's book, if you are an ardent toss juggler you probably already have it.

The Draillion video tape of Cirque de Soile has a juggler by the name of Victor Kee who does a lot of this sort of thing. You can order Draillion from amazon.com, they have it in stock. Victor does a lot of body rolling, but be warned his style is VERY gymnastic. I get pulled muscles just watching some of the stuff he does.

Tony Duncan is another performer who combines CJ and toss juggling. Occasionally he will pop up on a tape of IJA performances. He does a lot of palmspinning in his performances.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just dont' want to be there when it happens."
Reply To This Message

Author: Aaron A. Gitzen 
Date:   04-03-02 23:37

Okay that's pretty bad spelling even for me. It should be Cirque de Soleil, they are a performance group based in Canada and, the name of the performance is Dralion.

Also I looked at the Borders website, they do have it in stock.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just dont' want to be there when it happens."
Reply To This Message

Re:
Author: ICU812 
Date:   04-03-02 23:43

eh? what sort of surface can you drop an acrylic on where it won't make that God-awful sound?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Re:
Author: David Kaplan 
Date:   04-04-02 00:18

Actually, its Cirque DU Soleil.
As for the the "Magical surface" it does exist. They have it at the Yale gymnasium. It was some type of rubbery track surface. I remember being able to bounce the acrylic a fair height, and not have it make a sound. Believe it or not.
-David Kaplan
Reply To This Message

Re:
Author: ICU812 
Date:   04-04-02 00:36

sweet, why aren't sidewalks made of this stuff???

And yeah Le Cirque Du Soleil kicks ass.

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle
Reply To This Message

Re:
Author: ian pugh 
Date:   04-04-02 03:06

personally, i think the sound of acrylic on concrete is a pretty cool sound. just try to listen to it and not think that you are damaging your property. its a cool sound...loud, but cool. on smooth concrete, i have not had any appreciable damage to my acrylics. with the sound and the high return on the bounce energy, there are plenty of cool things that can be done, especially with toss combos.

e
Reply To This Message

Re:
Date:   04-04-02 03:23

I've also done some acrylic bounce juggling on the big, smooth, polished stone tiles they have in some areas of downtown Sacramento. Very little damage to the balls, REALLY freakin' loud, and pretty fun. I wouldn't recommend doing it with a performance set of acrylics, though. It doesn't cause the nasty scuffs that other surfaces might, but it DOES put very light marks on the ball.

--
Reply To This Message

Bounce CJ
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   04-04-02 22:17

So does anyone do bounce CJ. There are several falling up tricks such as the elevator in Contact Juggling. Does anyone roll the ball off the back of the arm. Then pick it up off the bounce on the ground. If done at the apex of the bounce it would seem to float even more then it already does.

I was also amazed at how high acrylics bounce especially since I paid a lot for silicones and acrylics do pretty well for a ball not designed to bounce.

Mini trampolines used for fitness give a good bounce to acrylics. I have one of those fitness matts that I will bounce the ball on later to see how it does.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com
Reply To This Message

Re: Bounce CJ
Author: zxenor 
Date:   04-05-02 04:31

One of my favorite combos with bouncing/toss/CJ is my signature "orbit toss".

It just involves spinning the hand in a circle quickly around the acrylic before catching it on the cradle.

With this, you can bounce an acrylic, do an orbit around the ball, catch it on the cradle, or if you want: bounce it once, spin your hand around it once, twice three times, then let it bounce again, spin your hand around it again, etc until the ball is close enough to the ground that you have to eventually catch it in the cradle before losing control of it.

What you described with that "rolling off the back of the arm" reminds me of one of these orbit tricks I like to do...

1. Outside arm-roll to-*gasp*- roll off the end of your arm and bounce off the hard surface you're working on.
2. Double orbit spin around the ball to
3. Catch in cradle.

Looks kind of crazy, but it sure gets some fun looks.

:-)

-=)zxenor(=-
Reply To This Message

Author: seb 
Date:   04-05-02 09:32

hey lance, i downloaded a copy of your lodi.wmv... very nice. i agree with the sentiment that your extra body movement and toss juggle combination is pretty damn cool.. one question though, several times throughout the routine you do a wee little flourish after a butterfly or something... it looks really cool, what is it and how do you do it?

your friend seb
Reply To This Message

Date:   04-05-02 20:36

Thanks, Seb! ^_^ Yeah, that flourish is one I get a lot of questions on. I have filmed it to submit to the moves page as soon as that becomes possible again. In the meantime, I will try to give a quick description of what I am doing.

The flourish is easiest to learn as a combination move where you move the ball through a number of "holds", but don't actually stop at any of them. Start off with the ball in your palm. Butterfly over to a two finger cradle. Start rolling the ball back over the fingertips, but as you go, start dropping all of your fingers into a fist, except for the index finger. Your index finger will split from the rest of your fingers and go AROUND the ball. This motion is the same motion you would use to get into the "cup" hold. Instead of bringing your index finger all the way in to make the "cup" with your thumb, you will stop when it is parallel to your thumb, with the ball sitting between the index finger and thumb. You have now created a new "track" for the ball to roll in. From here, roll the ball to the fingertips. You could roll it all the way to the tips and perform a tripod hold at this point, which is a nice looking finish to a short routine, but to finish the flourish, you will need to just pass over the fingertips and then let the ball roll into your palm.

I'm sure that these instructions are very difficult to follow. This flourish really isn't that difficult, but it is a bit hard to explain. I made a really crappy video of it quite some time ago which I put up on my page so you can see it if you like. There is a link to it on the bottom of my scrap page.

--
Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

this site is ©2001 Kae Verens. extracts may not be used unless permission is granted. images & text are © their submitters.