ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Wierd Stalls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Wierd Stalls

Ok, I've got a friend who's fairly new into cj, and he has really taken a knack to isolations and stalls. He's got one stall that I haven't seen before (maybe you have, I dunno...) but if you hold your hand like a karate chop the 2 little bones off the base of your thumb make a little cup, and he can roll the ball and stall it there. My wife is a sign language interpreter and the two of us have been working on coming up with some kind of stall or hold for each of the letters of the alphabet in sign language. I think we've got the positions figured out maybe, just have to figure out how to get from one to the other smoothly. Anyway, anyone else have/do/know any wierd or unusual stalls?
NOISEassault

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Damn, that's some impressive balance to get the ball to chill on that spot of the thumb, especially rolling into it.

The sign language thing reminds me of my attempts to use the ball to spell the word "Smile" in cursive by means of different butterfly variations....

Anyhow, as for my own stall, I've found that you can stall the ball on the back of your arm just a little bit before the the shoulder when you hold your arm to your side like an upside down "L".

Discovered it by accident when I first started practicing behind the neck rolls

edited to remove the brain fart

Last edited by NOISEassault on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I can't get the karate chop stall... (just named it that now, if there isn't a name, hehe) but his thumb bone thing really sticks out. He'll get one on each hand like that and walk around. I can set a ball there if I'm not moving, and sometimes I can get it to stay for a little bit... thats it. I'm going to try to make a single collage image of the signlanguage stall collection. And you mean with your arm in like a flat L infront of you palm down sort of thing? I was feeling around and I think I found a spot between 2 muscles that seemed like a possible stall location. looks tricky. I learned a collarbone hold kinda like that, by accident while learning regular chest rolls.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:

one more thing... I just noticed your avatar.... um, yeah.... need I say more? lol
NOISEassault

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:

sorry about that, I meant "upside down", not "backwards"

and now it looks like I'm going to have to start trying to figure out the collar bone stall.

Thanks
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:

it was pretty easy for me... just mess up, get the ball too high up on your arm, and hit yourself in the side of the face when you do the roll... when you wince, your muscles will tighten, and that little spot on your collarbone will hollow out making a nice little cup. To get out of it, I kinda nudge my shoulder out/down-ish enough to get the ball rolling back to the cradle.

Ah, I think I follow you on the arm stall, your forearm dangles down?
NOISEassault

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the forearm does indeed do the downward dangling thing.

and thanks for the advice on the collarbone stall
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Mmm... weird stalls...

James, I can't work out which stall you mean.

there's LOADS on the hands. Seriously, loads. I wouldn't be surprised if it was reaching over the 50 mark.

Dangling arm... kinda sounds like a bit of an awkward movement for a shoulder stall...

there's between 12-20 stalls on your head, probably even more, with some awkward positioning.

I've found a few between hand and elbow (palm up and palm down)

Anywhere with some muscle definition will produce a stall or few.

try finding some on your knees, legs, and feet. what about along your back?

When you find them, try to move around, change height level etc. will help make them more solid. I can jump down steps with a ball balanced on my head now.

You got's a whole body. Use it.

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Look!_This_Chånges! wrote:
I can jump down steps with a ball balanced on my head now.

Wow! What part of your head? I seem to have a really rounded forehead. I can balance a ball there, but it is so precarious that I don't see it ever becoming a solid move. It's like trying to balance an egg on it's end. I do a lot better if I make a grouchy face, so the ball has some bunched up skin to rest in, but it's still really shakey. I'm sure that I could get it if I spent a LOT of time on it, but I could spend that same time and come away with 20 other tricks instead. I think that head rolls will always be something for me to admire in others.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject:

I could maybe jump up and down steps doing a head stall if my fedora was involved... I never really had a huge desire to learn head rolls until I saw a guy do a full arm roll up one arm, over his head, then down the other. I think because I'd seen basic temple to temple rolls and stuff by 'normal' jugglers for years, and just never was all that impressed with the look of it. But incorporating it into body rolls rocked.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Top of head, dead centre. It's my favourite stall. I try to hold a ball there whilst doing as many everyday tasks as possible.

My secret? Make a dent! the soft tissue that covers your skull will gladly depress enough to sit a ball in comfortably. The most common place for people to have stall points on the top of their head is around the fontanelle (You know, where the soft spot was when you were a baby, and the bits of bone fused together). other than that, it's not too much hassle to make a stall point anywhere you want it up there. all you need to do is HOLD (not bash, contrary to popular belief ) an acrylic wherever you want the stall point. gravity will do the rest, and I reckon after five or so minutes, you should be able to start 'feeling it'. It is one of those practice every day things, along with footcatches. My aim is complete freedom of movement. Well, almost complete freedom. as long as your head maintains that straight line between the ball and gravity, the rest of your body can do anything it likes.

Lance, for the forehead, try looking upwards, or raising your eyebrows. relax your shoulders, and be loose in the knees. practice it enough, and the ball will create it's own resting spot, and it will be super effortless.

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm... It's been years since I spent any time or effort on headrolls or stalls. Maybe I'll give it another go. I was never able to get anywhere with the raised eyebrows, but the grouchy face made enough loose skin to get some semblance of balance. I've found that a few other people have benefited from this discovery as well. The raised eyebrows works for the vast majority, but for some people, it seems that the grouchy face is the key. Same idea as the raised eyebrows. Just creating enough loose skin for the ball to rest on.

But perhaps holding the ball in place longer will help. I hadn't really tried that, before.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

ok, got that collage of stall pics done. doesn't want to make an inpost pic for me, so here's a link. Best I can do atm.

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/156/41a/15641a01-fa82-4bd6-9ba7-8c58da942a87

if you don't know ASL, the letters are in order, and the blurry ones are J and Z, because you move to do them. Can't roll from one to another on many of them, which is the ultimate goal. And the P and Q back of the wrist stalls suck... those are going to be the hardest to roll into I think. Most of the others I've rolled into at least once.
Dizz
Not so Normal

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I like that collage!
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: