ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
UV wristband
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cant_think_of_a_name

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: UV wristband

Hope this works

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/53d617d39a_0.02MB
cant_think_of_a_name

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't think it did. I'll put it up as my avatar
ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. Interesting idea! I'd love to see a video of how it looks with the ball in motion. I'd imagine it's not much use for body rolls, but could look quite nice for palm spinning!
cant_think_of_a_name

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:

My cameras not very good but once ive got some more led's I'll get my friend to film it.
Saulie

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it does have a nice effect.

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:

How large of a bump does the LED create? Does it make arm rolls difficult?

You mentioned getting more LEDs. What is your plan? More LEDs in one wristband? LEDs in other places besides just the wrist? I'm intrigued!
Saulie

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:

And I was making things difficult and over thinking that situation. I was going with an acrylic with a hole in it to fit glow lights... lol

ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:

The problem with fitting glowlights, LEDs or any other sort of lighting device inside of a ball is that it creates points of reference. One of the keys to the magical appearance of a lot of contact juggling is that the ball has no point of reference. This means that a viewer cannot see how the ball is spinning as it rolls. It appears to just glide and float as opposed to rolling. Once you add multiple colors, or lights, or anything of that sort, a good portion of the magic goes right out the window.

As a contact juggler, (and to a lesser extent an audience member), the tricks and moves can still be enjoyed and appreciated for the skill. But the magic is lessened. It becomes more like watching a toss juggling act. Mind you, I'm a toss juggler as well, and there is nothing wrong with performing this kind of act. But I think a big part of what makes CJ so beautiful and impressive is the illusion.

That's why I like the idea of the LED wristband so much. The ball moves through the light and will be illuminated as it passes. Similar to the way stage lighting shines through the ball as it is moved about. I really want to see how this works out once Can't gets it finished![/quote]
silver

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Link

a lot like this.

1 blue 1 green in each band + red head torch downlighting

playing with the idea of white uplights as well.
ljcoombes

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Very nice! Thanks, Silver! Have you played with the idea of putting some lights on the back of the wrist as well as on the inside? This would add more light when you do moves with the balls on the backs of the hands. Though, it might just have the effect of blinding your audience since there would be a lot of light shining with nothing in front of it...
Saulie

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject:

thank you for the advice on the illusion aspect. And I completly understand, it was something that I unfortunately did not consider. None the less I would still be commited to giving it a try. Just to have something like that.

I supose that a cloudy sphere would be better than a clear for my idea, as the light would be slightly more obscured and reflected within the sphere.

I watched Mike do the fire sphere one night, as well as a couple others. And I loved it! But I want something that I can work with like a regular sphere, and not have the wrist bands or anything that would get into the way for body rolls.

Silver.... thank you so much for the vid. That was a GREAT idea for palmspinning. As always you inspire me to work on my palmspinning.

saulie

ljcoombes

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:

Saulie,

There are a lot of different light up balls on the market which can be used for that purpose. Most of them use internal LED lights and a silicon skin to diffuse the light fairly evenly over the surface of the ball. They still tend to have bright and dark patches, but are pretty decent. They are also fairly decently priced and pretty durable. I have a bunch of them that I use for toss juggling and the occasional CJ.

There was a company that used to make some light up balls that utilized a passive charging technique so that there was no "plug" where the charger attached. They had, from my understanding, a completely even glow over the entire surface of the ball. I wish they were still being made, but apparently, the company went out of business.
Saulie

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject:

Ok. Good info.

Do you remeber which website's? I would love to have something simple like that to at least start off with for CJing.

ljcoombes

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject:

Saulie wrote:
Do you remeber which website's? I would love to have something simple like that to at least start off with for CJing.

The one's that Neon Husky sells are the best I've seen. I don't actually have any of these exact ones, but they are VERY similar to what I use.

The first set I ever had were from a company in the UK called Mathmos. I got them as part of a show I did in Vegas, for BBC Technologies, with Ferret and Chico back in 2000. They are quite nice, but super expensive ($75.00 each). Since then, a number of other companies have used the same design to create very similar balls for MUCH cheaper. I bought a bunch of them from Target a few years ago for about $15 each.

The ones I linked above are better quality than the $15 balls and are made with jugglers in mind so will be nice and sturdy. They look great, even though they STILL have a bit of uneven lighting. But as far as I know, they are the best you can get as of today.
ljcoombes

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject:

Sorry about the thread hijack here... But I just found the contact info for the guy that made the passive charged juggling balls. I called him and left a message. I'll let everybody know (in a different thread) if anything comes of it.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Random threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: