ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Newbie from the UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2024 2:22 am    Post subject: Newbie from the UK

Hi all, Newbie here, 21f from Gloucester in the UK

First off - WOW, respect to all of you out there who have mastered CJ! Ive recently started practicing and i'm finding it really really REALLY addictive! Got a 80mm and 100mm stage ball and a 85mm acrylic which im staying well clear of for the time being! Hurt myself a few times already and scared the cat a few times, she has a wariness of all balls now, moving or stationery lol.

Cant wait till i can freestyle, must be amazing to sense the movement of the ball and wing it!

Was wondering how long it usually takes before you can safely use acrylic on concrete?! By my progress i think that time is a loooong way off!

Thanks for reading peeps
sylver_cat

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I think it depends on three things:

1- If you feel safe using the acrylic on a concerte ground (I still don't and it's been 4 months)
2- How much you love your acrylic (how much your scared of hurting it)
3- And how much you're willing to practice with it :p

btw, welcome in .org! And be carefull with your cat, hurting them is the last thing we want. (Dropping an acrylic on their head could kill them....)
Drew

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Gloucester you say
Thats only a little way down the road from Brizzle
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Herrow there, welcome to the forum. I'm headed that way on the 1st of November, classic car show anyone? I'll probably be looking official on the door.

Shepton Mallet here I come.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Brizzle?! lol i like it! Yes im not too far away here in Gloucester - the ming of the South West! (gloucester not me lol!)

PorcuBrine - thanks loads 4 the youtube tutorials, just been watchin your multiball, VERY COOL! Was wonderin actually, how many contact balls do you own? Got this serious need to own balls in every colour out there - picking is driving me nuts! Ive seen somewhere some1 doin multiball with spiral patterned balls but havnt seen them about - ne ideas where you can get them?

Oh i must stress that i havent ever dropped an acrylic on my cat! She just gets startled when shes drifting off and balls start whizzing by along the carpet - she now leaves the room for her own peace of mind when im practicing! In fact this emoticon pretty much sums up what my cat and partner feel when I get out the ol' babaches -->

Before i forget again -I have a question ive been meaning to ask! Does a 1mm size difference in balls screw up learning multiball? I really want a coloured acrylic to go with two clear but the measurements are different between them. They do have 65mm for both colours but is that going too small? What about 75mm clearx2 and a 76mm coloured?
Illumilatte

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject:

As far as I have heard...stick with the same size. It took me awhile to find some 2.75" in colors I wanted and a price I (sort of) liked.

Someone more experienced should be able to tell you...I am not sure about 1mm, but I know it's best not to mix sizes.
Spazzle

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the advice Ilumilatte - i rekon you're right, best if I stick to the smaller ones of the same size than risk a mix n' match disaster!

Im not sure peeps are even reading this intro now cuz its gettin a bit old but i have another question if theres sum1 out there!.. Ive got a practice routine going with my one ball work and I want to try something new but with xmas cumin up my new balls fund is sadly lookin a bit barren

Basically i need to make up my mind exactly what im gettin and the funs gotta last me til new year! Im thinkin buy 3 2.5" acrylics and learn palmspinning? 3 or 2 to start with...or 4 even?! Thats the part im stuck on, dont wanna buy three then realize all the funs in four - or, damn i only need 2 for now and this 110mm UV acrylic was seriously unnecessary!
Loves Christmas Day
(LCD)

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject:

I love your avatar spazzle, it makes me smile!

I'd avoid the 1mm difference, it will be very noticeable after a while.

And if you can, go for 4 2.75", the 2.5" are really small. Four is best, you limit yourself with anything less.

There are quite a few new peeps joining from good ol' Blighty.

We need a convention...

*edit* am I correct in saying you have a UV 110mm acrylic that is "unnecessary"? I'd give it a good home if you want, name your price...
Spazzle

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Elsie I think ill go for 2.75" x4 acrylics then.. til the new year of course when i can blow the budget!

Unfortunately i dont have a 110mm UV but im getting my palmspinning acrylics from Dr Bob and they have got clear acrylic 100mm UVs for £19.50 so i know i wont be able to resist!

My avatar started life as a wallpaper actually, its very cute to have as a desktop, i will have a look round 4 the link...

A convention would be awesome!

Edit: Found it! its 3D and gorgeous big: http://www.fantom-xp.com/wallpapers/12/3d_-_Smiles.jpg

Edit Edit - Just lookin for 110mm UVs but no luck, Dr Bob has got 120mm clear acrylics however - £40 incl P&P; to UK. Thats a seriously good price is it not?
daisylou

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr Bob? You have a web address? This looks tempting

welcome aboard spazzle

*edit* oooooo i know what I might be spending my christmas money on a 90mm purple acrylic and a 100mm uv acrylic inc postage = £45

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject:

http://www.magicstor.com/files/acrylic.htm
Royal

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Ah yes, I love those acrylics. It's funny how much his visitor number jumped once Thorn first put the link up.
Drew

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Spazzle, We might have a small gathering of contact people in Bristol one day in the new year, are you interested?
also I go to the Bristol Uni club to train most sundays.
silver

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

sounds fun, can i come!
Drew

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject:

sure silver, Don't have dates yet, I've just decided I want one, You're not living in Brizzle anymore are you! but your profile says you are
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: