ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Isolation with respect to. . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatBallGuy
Nomadic Techno-Gypsy, Scavenger-Symbiote

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Isolation with respect to. . .

So seeing as how I've been bed-bound for two weeks running (due to a back injury at work) I've started working a bit with isolations (something that I don't have to go chasing down and running after).

I started by considering walks

I originally hypothesized (to myself) that there are 3 classes of walks:

1) One in which the path of the ball is allowed to continue as it seems "normal" (a walk where the ball is not isolated, simply allowed to travel forward with respect to the manipulator)

2) A walk where the ball is moved in the opposite of it's apparent directional path (starting a forward walk on the palms, with arms extended, then pulling them in as you perform the walk)

3)An Isolated walk, where the ball is maintained in an isolated space with respect to the manipulator.

Then I started wondering about the whole "with respect to" bit. As is shown in Ryan and Remy's Christmas vid, Ryan shows a gripped isolation with respect to the surrounding environment (he's going up the escalator, but isolating the ball in one spot for a moment before moving it up).

So the question of this post (since I have been rather negligent in my isolations up to this point), can an isolation (of any species) be defined without specifying its relation to something?
Ok, so there's another question. . .can something be isolated with respect to a certain axis? For example, if one is doing the "palm circle" isolation, but moving the arm so that the ball is on a perfect left-to-right vector, is that considered an isolation with respect to the x-axis, or does that cease to be an isolation altogether?

Sorry if this has been covered before. . .I'm in a brain-fog due to medications, so I'm going to blame it on that. . .
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject:

i see what you mean with the whole axis thing,
so if you were to do a gripped iso that switched from X then to Y then to Z, it coulnt be any of those i think.
i think that an isolation is an isolation, with respect to everything that could play a factor, except moving isolations, becuase if your gripped iso, and then walk around it and keep it isoed still, its still isoed, know what i mean?
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll try to answer your 3 questions....don't expect too much info from me, I'd expect the new book will have a chapter on isolation.

1) In terms of manipulating an object, No. Isolation needs a referance point. Actually the most basic isolation I know is to hold a ball a still as possible....try it, its not that easy to be PERFECTLY still, even while trying to do nothing with the ball. its a good indicator to how isolated you can possibly get a ball. Its isolated in relation to space itself, you, the room, ect.

2) sounds like a moving isolation (what ever they are ) of sorts, maybe :S. If thats still the same as a vanilla isolation I doubt it.

3)and I'm not sure how much we want to stretch the deffinition of an isolation.

Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject:

isnt the book on palmspinning though?
Ryan
Ministry. Just like Colin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject:

err... sort of, Arnar.
There are 2 books, you see.
Palmspinning book will be out first
r
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject:

ah ok. both are by drew im assuming..?
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Wait, since when is isolation not a part of multiball? Or is that being saved for the 1 ball treatment
Elsie Dee
(LCD)

Posted: Tue May 30, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Awwww, mate, sorry your back's knackered again, I can really sympathise.

Get well soon!

At least you don't have the lurgy otherwise you'd REALLY know what isolation is all about.. heh heh..
ThatBallGuy
Nomadic Techno-Gypsy, Scavenger-Symbiote

Posted: Wed May 31, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the responses. . .and I'm looking forward to these books you mentioned.

The thing is, I have all this free time to mess around and practice, and yet I'm heavily medicated so inspiration is severely stunted. . .it's like its own form of torture.
Morhandir

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject:

As I see it, the essence and appeal of an isolation is the contrast between motion and stillness: a hand moving while a ball stays still has a very different feel to it than both the ball and hand moving, or both staying completely still. So, yes, an isolation needs to have a point of reference, or it misses the point. However, depending on how experimental you want to get, that point of reference could be any of a range of things. A ball can be isolated with respect to absolute space (like Ryan's escalator thing), or with respect to the manipulator's body (think the overhead walk/back slide iso), or with respect to another ball (two ball stuff where they both move, but stay exactly the same distance apart), or even with respect to a single body part (classic mime stuff with pushing the ball, or even tracers with pulling the ball).
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> The Isolation Chamber All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: