ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Create a new move
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stick Man

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2024 1:44 am    Post subject: Create a new move

I want everyone to think really hard about all the different tricks and moves you’ve seen people do since you’ve started contact juggling or sphere manipulating. And then describe in detail one that you have never seen done before. This isn’t the, “I just learned a new move” thread. You don’t need to be able to do the trick you describe. It just has to be physically possible without the help of wormholes, anti-gravity machines, mediclorians or any of that kind of stuff.

I really just want to see the directions different people want to take this art form. And get some new ideas out there for people to work on in the new year.

So because I’ve been obsessed with arm rolls recently, a move I’m going to create is a top of arm, arm roll, that goes in a triangle around your head. With one point of the triangle behind the head.

1) Start with right arm parallel to chest with palm down.
2) Place sphere in an outside elbow stall.
3) Line up elbow of left arm with fingertips of right hand. Left hand should be palm down behind your head.
4) Roll sphere from outside elbow stall on right arm, to top elbow stall on left arm.
5) Bring right hand behind your head palm down, so fingertips of right hand meet fingertips of left hand behind your head.
6) Roll sphere from top elbow stall to cradle on left hand.
7) Pass from cradle in left hand to cradle in right hand behind your head.
Bring left forward, palm down, parallel to chest. So fingertips are lined up with elbow of right arm.
9) Roll sphere from cradle in right hand (behind head). To top elbow stall on right arm.
10) Pass from elbow to cradle in left hand. Then do a top arm roll to outside elbow stall on the left arm to complete the triangle.

Take out all the stalls and you will have a smooth top arm roll that moves in a triangle around your head slightly over shoulder height.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject:

thats very niffty. its kinda hard though. i cant really do it. im finding that all of the top of the arm works alot from regular for arm work. this one may take some practice.

heres one to try,

start out in a left or right elbow stall, then roll down to your palm, lift your leg up really high, then transfer the ball to your other hand and roll up to your elbow and stall.

ive never tried it , but it might be easy.

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject:

you could even extent that into a full chest roll, with the hand transfer under the leg.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject:

hey that would be cool. im going to start working on it
EdHughes

Location: Where darts are thrown at baloons and nothing is what it seems... the carnival.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject:

How about a knee stall? I bet a lot of you guys already do that one, but I've never seen it.

Do mysteries actually exist? Some say "maybe".
Others aren't so sure.
Spare

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject:

Unless you're envisaging a different kind of knee stall, watch "Franc at some convention" in the videos section of this site...

...'cos I'm damned if I can do it.
EdHughes

Location: Where darts are thrown at baloons and nothing is what it seems... the carnival.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject:

..um yeah... that's pretty much what I had in mind, plus more.

Others aren't so sure.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject:

that dude is one crazily insane french guy. the knee stuff doesnt really tickle my fancy though
EdHughes

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2024 3:31 am    Post subject:

It's kind of hacky-sack, but it's all good.

Others aren't so sure.
Chad

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject:

If we are talking popping a ball into the air using the knee...be very careful. It is a fun move but if you hit the knee cap...dear light that's painful. Especially with 4'' acyrlic. Start with stage balls or tennis balls.
simply_inexpugnable

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Eeyah. My knees give out on me easily. If I smash my shins, I'm fine, I don't feel pain in them, but knees are entirely a different matter.
Chad

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2024 3:16 am    Post subject:

*sigh* Reading about knee-popping a sphere got me into trying that movement again. It's been about two months since I last did one because that was when I hit my knee cap with my 4'' acyrlic. I used 3'' acrylics (what I learned to use for these in the first place) and hit many nice ones. Of course, I also hit both knee caps again. It wasn't terribly bad (The 4'' caused a limp for the rest of the weekend.) but I've got some nasty bruises coming in. Be very careful with these, like I said, a tiny mistake will lead to some serious pain and the distance can be hard to measure if you are throwing the sphere into the air before the "pop".

New moves...hmmm. Tonight I was playing with some, atleast to me, new moves. Both are aerial transitions for two ball play.

The first started as me looking at starting with on sphere held on a right outer elbow stall and the other sphere in a left-hand cradle. The elbow stall ball is popped to the left in a high arc and the cradle ball is flicked in a smaller arc to land in the elbow stall while the first ball is caught either in a left-hand cradle or in the palm. This could then be repeated forever. It was a pretty move that showed off skill with thrown elbow stalls. Then I tried to speed it up to try out another idea. I wanted to create a circle effect between the popped elbow sphere and the thrown cradle sphere. It worked well for a good deal of time till, almost like practicing toss juggling patterns, the throws become uncoordinated.

The second was me looking at what the CJ Part II dvd called "forking" but what I always called "A two finger stall with a palmed sphere". (There's is a bit less of a mouthful.) Start with one sphere in a right-handed two finger stall and the other sphere in the left hand's palm. Then slap the palm ball into the palm of the right hand near the fleshy pad near the wrist. (If you slap the sphere near the fingers you will probably catch the digits in between both spheres and it is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced while contact juggling.) The force of the slapped ball should pop the two finger cradled ball into the air in a short arc that can then be caught in the left hand's two finger cradle. The move can then be repeated over and over again. Because the one sphere is caught in the palm facing down, most of the sphere is obscured and because the arc is rather small the move is not very pleasing to watch at high speeds. I believe that by slowing it down so that instead of slapping the sphere you roll it up the palm, across the fingers, and into the upside down palm that aspect will look more pleasing. The cradled sphere could then just be flicked off into the arc and probably into higher arcs.
EdHughes

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject:

simply_inexpugnable wrote:
Eeyah. My knees give out on me easily. If I smash my shins, I'm fine, I don't feel pain in them, but knees are entirely a different matter.
Mwahaha..I'll remember that in case we ever have to fight to the death.

Others aren't so sure.
simply_inexpugnable

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah sure. Actions speak louder than words, Ed.

Unless you shout.
EdHughes

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject:

OKAY, I'LL KEEP THAT IN MIND.

Others aren't so sure.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: