ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
alarming trend in contact juggling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan
Ministry. Just like Colin
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject:

It is a trend, yes. I think people are making interesting discoveries with illusion stuff...

LTC is right to point to the 3 areas. I would say there are 4, actually (we can maybe make a division between ''hand rolling''=butterflies, cages, palm walks, etc'' and ''body rolling''=using arms, head, legs, etc) In each case, the history of this site has shown that these areas have come in and out of focus at different times. Multiball had its day here on .org during the late 90's.. it was chico and marco (old marco, not new one) and kae and shifty and others.. the moves section exploded with 2-8 ball tricks, and THATS ALL PEOPLE POSTED/TALKED ABOUT. It dominated.. was the main focus. Other things ''existed'', but weren't as interesting to the community.

In the earliest days, hand rolling/butterfly stuff ruled. Rich Shumaker was in his element. People talked endlessly about ''back/palm/back/back'' transfers. JK_theCJer wrote a ''CJ notation'' system. People used terms like ''fluidity'' and they listened to new-age music.

The current trend of isolations/illusions is exciting to me... but lets keep in mind that it is just that, a trend. Nothing to be ''alarm[ed]'' about. I'm really enjoying watching Nika, Colin, LTC, Pich, Drew (and does anyone remember isolationist classics like ''I want to Buy you Flowers''' or that one with the kid on the swingset who did jumpkicks at the end of the video?) And yeah.. In Isolation is coming out really soon, so expect there to be a bit more fuss on the subject... but it might not last
<anyone notice my avatar is fading away?...>

Dont worry! I recon the bodyrolling revolution is coming. Jea9 is out there busting out mad s@#t i dont understand. Colin is threatening to release his ''real'' bodyrolling stuff (as if his isolation videos are just a cute side-note).. Greg is working on CJIII, rythmic gymnasts are starting to notice all the fuss, and, god forbid, people are realizing that isolations, while looking cool, arent really very ''Fun.''

I look forwards to whatever is coming next. Off in the distance, i can see a hoop revolution... but that might not be for a few years.

r
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 2:28 am    Post subject:

Ryan wrote:
that isolations, while looking cool, arent really very ''Fun.''

I beg to differ- Watch LTC's vid again. ok not the best example there, but its his stuff with isolations which made contact fun again for me. Dang we really did miss out on a opportunity for great footage around christmas

speaking of hoops, I have some ring stuff out there, its a bit weak and all old manips, and I can't get the threading illusions to work out properly.... but just yesterday I was thinking of the hoop/ring coming into trend soonish. not years, well for the body rolling of rings.....yeah, but the isolation stuff is there.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject:

trends do seem to come and go. i havent been here for long, i was around about a yeay ago, but didnt have the nerve to sign up until last september. Jea9 is freaking crazy! she will most deffintly start something up. dont forget about face/head rolls as well. those also seem to be coming into style as well. several of us are working on that now.

tony duncan had some awesome face rolls in his xmas video. rings/hoops will be trend in the future as well i predict. there are some body rolls you can do with hoops/rings. ryan does the head/face roll in his ryan and remy christmas video, and theres another group of performers out there ( vuadvillie something or an other ) and they roll hoops down there back and get 3 them going ina shower pattern. i'll see if i cant find a link.

ryan... when is your video coming out? release date yet? and will Dube or Todd smith or a place like that carry it?
Stick Man

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 4:40 am    Post subject:

Ok, I just read this entire thing. And let me tell you, I think that time could have been much better spent practicing.
Although, this....
ncfiala wrote:

Durbs: Of course dancing is exploring your body, but contact juggling is about exploring your body with the ball. According to your definition, masturbation is contact juggling.

made me laugh. I would call it object minipulation, but I'm immature.

Secondly,
Colin, that one post of yours. The really long one. Has 1912 words in it and takes up 5 pages in Microsoft Word. Just thought you might want to know. There are few things in this world I care enough about to write 5 pages about. I’m impressed.

C,
It seemed there was a lot of talk about copying people and ideas. And it was said that, “doing 2 things at once isn’t creating something new.” I was once told that every new idea comes from the combination of 2 previous ideas. And if someone can give me an example that disproves this please do. I can’t think of any.

IV,
When I CJ, probably 95% of what I do falls into the Hand work/Body roll category. Because that is what makes me happy. I’ve tried to get into isolations, but it just doesn’t excite me. Maybe its because I’m American or maybe its because I don’t feel I’m a proficient enough dancer yet and dancing around the sphere, is excatly what make iso's so beautiful and magical too me . But either way its just personal preference. Damn, too tired to think and type at the same time. I’ll finish this later. Sorry.
Fuero

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject:

Well, I think the main thing is that there has to be a combination of it all.

Body rolling, Isolations and whatnot are all going to be connected somehow and we will get the all-round cjer.
I like doing body-rolling and the iso's so I will do both, and it will someday become to look like one whole....

Well tere's a quest for ya....
Drew

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject:

In summary:
Original post was a very opinionated and in a way neo- imperialist post saying:
"I (ncfiala) think dancing sucks, and I (ncfiala) think you should all be doing more nody rolling."

In reply I say...
Whatever.
Let people do what they want to do.
If they want to dance - Great, if they want to learn big rolling tricks thats cool too.
I guess i'm with fuero on this one

LTC I liked your last post. (yes, and " it is coming" )
Colin I think within a year it will become clear why pure isolationists contact is in the opinion of both Ryan and I sometimes a little bit boring. But enjoy the excitement now.

On a side note: IMO ball contact is not a form of juggling.
seriously go look at some geeks with long white sock and shiney shorts standing in a sports hall juggling 5 balls in a cascade. Then watch LTC or Colin's recent videos, or a good video of multiball... can you really clame that these are the same thing.

Yea they both use round things. but thats not enough to make something juggling. golf isnt juggling, soccer isnt juggling.
Even M Moschen doesn't think that its juggling.

IMHO Ball contact is a form of manipulation.
I use the word contact as a shortening of "contact manipulation".
While juggling is really about "tricks".
Manipulation is about making thing dance.
and if you wish to - dancing with things.
uno is ewan

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Drew wrote:

On a side note: IMO ball contact is not a form of juggling.
seriously go look at some geeks with long white sock and shiney shorts standing in a sports hall juggling 5 balls in a cascade. Then watch LTC or Colin's recent videos, or a good video of multiball... can you really clame that these are the same thing.

although there is evidence that men in socks do something that they call "contact juggling"

just watch "contact juggling part II" if you need your memory updated.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 11:39 pm    Post subject:

As requested by spazzle, bump for fascinating reading and some of the best written posts in dotorg history.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Spazzle

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject:

I just giggled my way through that with a cup of tea and a box of malteasers! Really amazing thread- a great read, thanks Brine!
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

This was a good read again.

Drew's last post, there's quite a bit of truth in there, you know.

One year on from my crazy isolation phase, and now I spend more time with a ball on top of my head than I do in my hands.
silver

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject:

don't worry, it's just a phase you're going through.......
Thorn

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone ever manage to CJ while on a pogo stick??

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
Royal

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject:

You should be the first, Thorn. Oo
Thorn

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Royal"]You should be the first, Thorn. Oo[/quote]

Oh my stars and garters...I'd kill myself and anyone foolish enough to watch.

@.@

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject:

CJ on a pogo stick! That sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I mean, Contact juggling, and pogo stick?

Saying that, I'm almost there. I can manage a few jumps with a ball balanced on my head... the next obvious step...
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> The Isolation Chamber All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: