ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
clarification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: clarification

I would like to try and clear up something if I could. From some comments I've received, I'm thinking I might be coming across as arrogant or a know-it-all, and that is NOT at all what my intention is. I am far from that, and I know that. I don't mean in any way to portray myself as a great cj'er or expert instructor. I just really enjoy CJ, and am eager to help people new to the art. I do not have years of experience, and my techniques are certainly not as smooth and graceful as people who have been doing this for years. But I do have understanding that could be helpful for beginners. I'm not trying to say "this is how its done" or anything, I'm simply trying to explain what worked for me to learn them. I mean, my newness has been pointed out, and yes, I've only been doing this for about 2 and a half months or so. But that means the learning of these tricks is fresh in my mind. Maybe some of my techniques might not have the greatest finished appearance, but if it helps someone learn, isn't that a good thing? Several hints I've offered to people are not the way I perform the tricks now, but they aided me along the way. I've been told by several people that I've caught on and learned very quickly, and I attribute a lot of that to breaking stuff down to simpler versions of harder tricks, learning the basic concept, then using tips of more advanced people to refine and make them look visually appealing. Everyone learns differently, and everything I'm passing along are things that were passed to me. Some people might be able to just practice the final maneuver over and over until they get it, but that didn't work for me. I had to start small, and add to it piece by piece until I arrived at the finished piece. Anyway, I just don't want anyone thinking ill of me or anything like that, so I thought I'd try and clarify myself a little.
Jowze

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't think you as know it all or arrogant, it's sounds fair to be eager to share your experience, a lot of people do here and that's part of what makes this forum so cool and welcomy and a nice learning platform.

I'm a "noob" myself too as I will just reach my first year in december. I'm still real fresh to contact and think sharing my beginner experience can be helpful to other newcomers as well.
Though I can have opinions on some stuff that can be misguided, or I might have taken "bad habits" with time away from experienced teachers, and I might not have the experience and knowledge to be a fair critic to the way I manipulate the spheres, and to notice flows in others...

You're right there is no dogma in the way ball contact have to be done and thanks the holy rabbit for that, there are different ways to learn moves and buttloads of styles too. there are people here from different parts of the world and "schools of contact" that have been rolling balls for years and years and discussed it a lot too, and that sounds right to me to listen and take lesson from their experience. Like for the chestroll discussion thread.

I'm sorry if this doesn't come out too clear, english isn't my mothertongue .
Anyway, that's nice to see someone hooked like you on contact, with such a will to share, keep having fun !

J
silver

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject:

your posts do have a certain authoritative tone that your experience doesn't merit.

I accept that this comes from enthusiasm, and that enthusiasm is very welcome. I don't want you to think less of this forum or the people in it, but I do want the standard of advice to stay at the highest levels and i don't think your advice deserves the weight you put on it. This is probably down to the tone of the posts. Yes, you've got my back up over this.

Quote:
Everyone learns differently, and everything I'm passing along are things that were passed to me.

Advice has to have context, have you seen enough people learning to be sure you are putting the right advice in the right place?

you are unusual, remember that, normal for you doesn't apply to the vast majority. Different standards and methods apply.

I also appreciate that you think you have a closer view to a beginners point of view than those of us that learnt many years ago, and indeed that might be true, if we weren't constantly teaching and refreshing our memories of how it began, what mistakes and bad habits we never needed to make or learn.

Please find a way of channeling your enthusiasm into the site without jumping in on every thread with a do this or a do that.

ps i noticed in another thread you mentioned getting behind the neck rolls 1 in 20, try this:

get your chestroll shape good, preferably in a similar fashion to the description i gave xdavidx, do a chestroll. do a second chestroll with your face down in that space in between your arms. make sure you don't hunch your shoulders. think about the shape you are asking the ball to roll over.
relax as the ball comes down your receiving arm. repeat.

now every time you want to leap in with some advice go and do 10 btn rolls in a row, think about whether you need to talk or listen, and if you need to talk then work out what you need to say and how to say it in a way that doesn't come across as know it all and arrogant.

Silver, site admin.
jstntlvr

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

CannonballJ you don't come across as arrogant or a know it all just helpful thank you and keep it up

and Jowze you write in English better than most Americans I know including myself
Kakihara: Listen, when you're giving pain to someone, don't think about the pain that person is feeling. Just concentrate on how good it feels to be causing someone pain. That's the best thing you can do for a true masochist!
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't have guessed English wasn't his main language without being told... but now looking back, I can see that. Someone that it was their main would have used a lot more bad english, acronyms, slang, and such... not such eloquence... hehe.

As far as my tone, its not intentional. I by no means intend to portray anything other than someone enjoying what they do, and what I explain is nothing more than things that I picked up that helped me out, and do with it what you will. I'll try to better pay attention to how I word things though. I suppose my meaning is more of a "hey, this helped me out, you might give it a shot and see if it works for you" not a standard "this is how to do it". I agree 100% on your (Silver's) comment, "normal for you doesn't apply to the vast majority. Different standards and methods apply" which is why I like seeing such diversity in peoples styles and ideas. For example, I'd never heard anyone say to practice chest rolls with your back against a wall, but I tried it, and I can see how that will them really smooth if I keep at it like that. Anyway, thanks for the advise on the behind the neck. I asked the ball to roll over, and it said "no"... perhaps I can learn a new way of asking
silver

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the consideration, it'll make the whole world a nicer place.

Silver.
Illumilatte

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject:

I don't see you as arrogant, but I haven't read all of your posts or anything either.

Personally the thing I hate most about the internet is that you lose a lot of meaning in text because of the loss of tone and body posture.

You might say "Do it like this" like a laid back surfer dude and it would seem more like a suggestion. Or you could say it like a Nazi and it would be a command. Extremes I know, but it illustrates my point.

Me personally I have the crutch of emoticons ...I suppose they get the job done though
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Random threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: