ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Salut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0dd

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Salut

Hi, I'm another person new to all of this. At 54 I'm probably a tad older than a lot of the people here. I guess it may take my old brain longer to learn new things. Anyway, until a few days ago I'd never even heard the term "contact juggling." But I've always enjoyed regular ballistic juggling. I taught myself basic 3-ball juggling when I was a teenager, and although I never became especially good at it, I've always been secretly proud of having learned it. I also do a little sleight of hand magic--mostly coin stuff--as a hobby. I was looking at some juggling videos on YouTube and in the "related videos" list I saw the title "contact juggling," and the term seemed odd, so I had a look. And a look was all I needed before I was certain I had to try to learn this. I'm still like a kid that way.

So I did a little digging, found this site and others, looked at many more YouTube videos, and decided to start in. I ordered a couple of clear balls--not the best quality acrylic, the hybrid stuff--which I'll probably get in a week or so. I got the 2.75" size; I'm not sure why. I have fairly large hands, so I probably should've gotten 3" balls. And while I'm waiting for them, I got a Kong doggy ball, which is in fact 3".

It's really interesting to me how at first it feels so completely alien to have a ball balanced on the back of my fingers, but by the end of my first practice session, I began to have a feel for it. It reminds me of when I learned to rolls a coin across my knuckles, which also felt odd and highly improbable. I walk around the house with the doggy ball in the cradle, occasionally tossing it or rolling it into the cradle of the other hand. I think this is probably the best way to get a natural feeling for it holding the ball this way.

I'm able to do a very jerky butterfly now, after a couple more practice sessions just doing individual moves. It's going to need a lot of practice. When I look at video of people doing elbow stalls and body rolls, it looks utterly impossible.

So, hello to everybody. I'll try to read through the forum and get up to speed on what's going on here.
sylver_cat

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Welcome around!

It's always nice to have new cj'er willing so much to learn the beauty of it (it's hard work, I promise, but hard work worth it). This forum (and people surfing on it) have been a great source of information, help and inspiration to me.

I use a 4'' and have pretty small hands so it made me smile when I read your 2.75'' and large hands. Well it works nicely enough for me... so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you. Everything is practice-practice-practice-practice...

Nice meeting ya!

ps: I've got a couple of my friends learning Esperanto, but I've always been too lazy to really get myself into it.
T0dd

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if there's any advantage to starting with smaller balls. As I think about it, probably not. One of the striking aesthetic aspects of CJ, from what I've seen in videos, is the way the ball seems to float, especially in isolations. This effect is probably helped by the weight of the ball canceling slight hand tremors and other random movement "noise". We'll see. For the time being, the doggy ball is the thing.
daisylou

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:

hi todd welcome! it is mesmorising to watch isnt it i was watching people at a convention the other week and am totally hooked back on it so much i want to learn now. enjoy

daisy x

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

welcom T0dd and good luck with the practice
juggling_maniac

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject:

welcome have fun
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: