ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
organizing bodyrolling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stick Man

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: organizing bodyrolling

Ok, Basically I’ve been working on organizing Bodyrolling into a class system similar to the ones used for Poi Moves, Staff Moves, and all living organisms. This explains it pretty well

So in this system, you start with manipulation. Then, “contact juggling” is a type of “manipulation”, and “bodyrolls” are a type of “contact juggling”, and “bridge rolls” are a type of “bodyroll”, and “bruno’s bridge” is a type of “bridge roll”.

So far, I see the main types of Bodyrolls as:
Head Rolls
Bridge Rolls
Chest Rolls
Matrix Rolls
Arm Rolls
Leg Rolls
Foot Transfers
&
Butterfly Transfers

Almost all bodyrolling moves to date could fit into one of these categories or another. We just need stronger definitions for them, so the moves that borderline two categories know which way to go.

For Example,
“The Straight arm Behind the Neck Roll”
Is it an “arm roll”, a “chest roll”, or are “straight arm rolls” a category of their own?

So in the off chance anyone actually followed any of that, what are your thought?
Is breaking down bodyrolling into -,8,+ types of moves a good/bad idea?
Mithy

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a great idea - as has been discussed breaking things down better and unifying names is needed.

As a relatively new Cj'r I don't have a lot of background to base this on, but those categories seem fine, and I think "Straight arm Behind the Neck Roll" would be a chest roll (as you have defined Neck rolls into Chest rolls (as per other post)) and the majority of the move is based on the neck roll, the straight arm is like a variation on the neck roll. [unless im thinking of something else]
mot
admin

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject:

This too is going to get itself wiki-ed with your approval.
Stick Man

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Go ahead and Wiki away, I looked into putting some stuff in that thing. But it confused and scared me.
A moose

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

I think this would be a good idea, and should be done with all the other types of moves as well.

The way it is now, all the names of all the different moves are really confusing, and you mostly see a new move and never hear a name for it, which leads to confusion. However if there was some sort of classification, you could go through defenitions and eventually find it.

Also a uniformation of names would be good, as well. Several tricks go by multiple different names and it is very confusing.
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion a behind the neck roll is no variation of the chest roll but a category of it's own. Same with over the head rolls. That is because they travel a different path than chestrolls. only the arm-part is the same

I would define a straigth arm behind the neck roll as following:
a combo of three arm rolls, a straigth arm cradle to shoulder roll, followed by a shoulder to shoulder roll, followed by a straigth arm shoulder to cradle roll.

That would make most rolls into roll combo's though

Opinions?

IMP
Mithy

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I think that's over complicating things. It's almost as bad as having no solid naming system, because you're going to have so many sub sets of sub sets of sub sets that trying to find the name of that cool new thing you did or naming it becomes a challenging endeavor.

Essentially everything will be combos besides a few basic maneuvers which will be the base. Then how do we divide up combos into sections? Or just hold them in one section? Putting them together would be equivalent to the current system so that's no good.

I think Stick Man's in the right ballpark on this one. If we just extend the definitions of "chest roll" for example to include anything where the ball rolls in the area contained by an invisible cube going from shoulder to shoulder and base of collar bone to top of head then the system would serve to divide things up better.

Perhaps in this case the term "chest roll" would have to be changed - but that may be more than difficult seeing as it is burned into the minds of all veterans (and newbies alike). But naming conventions just come down to definitions, so redefining terms will be more effective in separating moves into manageable categories.

I think at this point i'm now ranting and repeating previously stated arguments so I shall cease!

~Miffy
shadoes

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree that overcomplication should be avoided. that being said I can see rolls being divided up into several categories like arm rolls, chest rolls, neck/head rolls. Those being defined as

arm rolls- any roll done on the arms without the chest or neck/head area
chest rolls - any roll done utilizing that square from shoulder to shoulder OFF the arm/shoulder.. this is considering your shoulder to be part of your arm and not your chest. This would include back of the chest(ie Back) rolls as well or back rolls could be seperated off.

neck/head rolls - any roll that goes behind the neck or over/around the head. - the mentioned behind the neck roll for example.

In the above system the Straight Arm Behind the Neck Roll would be put into the neck roll area. Broad categories I know but simpler for the newbie(like me) to understand. And as I understand it straight arm behind the back would be a combination arm roll/neck roll/arm roll.

Something along those lines.

My two coppers
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: