ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsp

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: newbie

Hey everyone,
I have very bad anxiety, and I was looking for something that will take focus. I recently started to learn how to play Piano, Guitar and Bass. But here at work it is very silent and alone, which is bad because it gives my mind a chance to run wild. Ever since I was little and saw Labrynth I was fascinated by the crystal scenes. I never knew what it was called, untill now. Only problem is I don't know where to buy contact balls or what to do to start. Any guidence would be great. Thanks.
Saulie

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to a whole new world.

Lets see... You want to start off with something to CJ (contact juggle) with. Most CJers use a Acrylic sphere, or a Stage ball. I like to get those from the Dube online. www.dube.com

But you do not have to limit yourself to just those. Grab an orange. It is very round in shape and its inexpensiveness means that you should have no fear of droping it on the ground. So you can practice the cradle and transfers with no worries... And you have a nice snack as a treat for the hard work you have done.

No I am not kidding. I have used oranges a lot of times before. You can also use baseballs, bacche balls, softballs, billiard balls(pool que). anything that has a little weight and is spherical that you can work with is the perfect CJing sphere.

but one day you are going to want a Cjing sphere that you have bought that was made just for Cjing. for acrylics, I use 3 and 4 in acrylics for my body rolling. I would think (and some people may disagree) that the 3in acrylic is just about the standard size for Cjing. It is great for palm spinning (the milti ball in one hand from labrinth) and body rolling (the the one ball 'looks like its defying gravity' from labrinth).

Keep in mind that a 4in acrylic is VERY HEAVY........at first... You become acoustmed to it after some time though. And I love my 4in acrylics for body rolling.

But when I am working on new moves or want to save my wife and cats from getting hit by a giant billard ball(acrylic) I like to use my 4in Dube stage ball. its light, hollow and does not break tv's or computer when droped upon them.

You want to know where to start? Check out the essays section here. Have a lot of great information on how to start and proper positioning. I always sugest "The First Five" by Ferret, and "the newbies guide to starting contact juggling" by Shifty. Great information there about beginning and moving forward with CJing.

Also there are several contact juggling videos out there. If you can afford it, give it a try. They are all VERY WORTH THE MONEY!!!

There are also tons of Vids of performances from Cjers here online. Just familarize yourself what what is possible, you may be suprised at the ability and versatility of Cjing.

Otherwise, dont be afraid to ask questions if you have them or need something explained another way or better...

Cheers.

Saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
tsp

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Wuts better to purchase when beginning a stage ball or acrylic?
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I reckon you're best off buying a stage ball to start out with, then when you get an acrylic you'll be able to keep it nice and shiny.

Whereabouts are you based? In the UK get an Oddballs contact ball to practice with, in the states babache or dube are worth checking out go for a 4" or 100mm to start out with, anything smaller is just going to make learning harder.

Head to the wiki section off the main page and look at the moves in there then have a poke around youtube and see what you can see.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Cannonballjames

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject:

when I started, I used a 3" acrylic. Now I use a 4" mirrored stainless for most of my performances, because I'm typically over concrete, and they're a lot cheaper than my 4" acrylic, not to mention they're lighter, so I can still feel my arms after several hours of street performance. But depending on hand size, I usually recommend 2.5" to 3" for most beginners. If you have access to a store where you can hold one that is best, just try rolling one around in your hand and see what seems to feel the most comfortable. Learn the cradle (back hand hold) first, so you can try that with your prospective sphere, it needs to rest there easily. Personally, I do not recommend a billiard ball unless you are ONLY using it over nice soft carpet. Do NOT use them over hard surfaces like concrete. A friend of mine did learning multisphere work, and dropped one. A piece of a ball broke off and flew up sticking in her eyebrow about an inch above her eye.... NOT worth the chance. I have used a bocce' and though I usually don't mention them to people in my store (because I want them to buy one of mine, of course..) they do work pretty good for learning, and don't even look too bad if your audience is at a little bit of a distance so they can't see the markings of the ball. They can be a little big for starting, but not too bad. Learning with things like oranges can be fun because you can really trip some people out at the grocery store...
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject:

2.5" for beginners? I'd say that's too small, you'll be making life much more difficult for yourself.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Royal

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject:

I agree with Briney. Bigger is better. It will be easier plus it will look better.
tsp

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject:

I can't seem to find the essay on the first five steps can anyone help me!
rollingphysics

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject:

It's buried several pages deep on the essay page - Ferret's first five

It might also be worth reading the intro to ball theory essay and the beginner's guide

Have fun! I find CJ to be a very calming influence.

-Brian
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: