ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Flexibility
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0dd

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Flexibility

I didn't think flexibility would be that much of an issue, but for certain moves....it is. I'm (a) not young, and (b) pretty large in the upper body. As a result, a simple position like the "chalice" position, i.e., arms in front, bent in L-shape, forearms touching from elbow to wrist, palms up, fingers out (the position you'd be in to do a "circle" pass)---is actually pretty difficult for me. I can do it, but my elbows want to separate, pushing my hands in toward each other.

I've often noticed that regular ballistic jugglers tend to be lean, wiry people. I don't know if this is because they tend to be starving artists, or because juggling itself has a selection effect, favoring that body type.

I don't know if there's a preferred body type for CJ, but no one has ever accused me of being lean and wiry.
Redster

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm not lean by any stretch of the imagination, and probably count as very out of shape. I used to be pretty flexible in my teenage years, but lost that in the past few. I think it's coming back now I'm actually making an effort to use long-forgotten muscles and the like. Maybe working on increasing your flexibility with yoga or something would help and you might find that you're better able to get into positions?
aramis

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, if there's one thing Contact Juggling teaches us, it's that there is nothing our body cannot do if it is properly trained.
Saulie

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I am lean and I have a difficulty with that one. It strains my shoulders and is quite uncomftorabe for me.

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
rollingphysics

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I took up yoga specifically to help with CJ - it helps with flexibility, but more just to make you more aware of how your body moves. The connection between yoga and CJ is more spiritual than directly practical. Sorry if that's not terribly specific, it's just how I see it!

I still "cheat" on that move, though - I don't see a large reason to keep the elbows together if it's uncomfortable - the eye focuses on the ball and the hands.
nagini

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject:

i don't know anything about yoga...

but i have a "big" (VERY big ) friend who's very skilful at CJ, especially in body rolls.

he told me: "that's because i have more "surface" on wich i can make the ball roll"
dpizarro159

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject:

i alsways stretch a little my muscles before grabbing the ball, then i warm up like 30 minutes playing and take my time to strectch all muscles frommy body, then i play for a looooong time a cuple of hours, and finally when im done a make a last stretch... it has help a lot to know what muscle and you feel much more light
Cybele

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

whats a ballistic juggler?
Saulie

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Wow DP. I wish I had that time to prepare. My warm up consists of picking the ball up off the floor from droping it. Because I start with the moves that I do not have down at all. Once I am properly warmed up from bending over to the floor a dozen times or so I go with the things I have down pat.....5 min later(if that) I go to those moves that I am working on.

I am lucky if I can get in a full 30minutes a day, or every other day.

saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
dpizarro159

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject:

try stretching at least your arms muscles and fingers and wrist... its impressive how you learn and polish your moves...
T0dd

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject:

[quote="Cybele"]whats a ballistic juggler?[/quote]

The kind of juggler who tosses the balls in the air.
T0dd

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject:

The trick seems to be stretching the shoulders and wrists. Also, it's a matter of figuring out what height is best for certain moves. I note in videos a few people doing CJ sitting down. I find I can't do much of anything while sitting; I have to be standing up (Of course, even then I can't do much, but I'm making progress, bit by bit).
he4rty

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

I know a few warm ups, but maybe someone could post some warm up exercises on the wiki (hint,hint) for us real novices.
Jowze

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

Saulie, I read somewhere that it's not specially good to start with the moves you don't have down : when you're not warmed up, you drop more, then you drop even more if you practice on the moves you don't have down. This can teach your muscle memory to overreact to the falling ball.

Then I don't know, I just read it ...
dpizarro159

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject:

i found various sretching heres on this forum a cuple of months ago.. dont know if they are still here
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: