ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Principle and theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

http://www.kelvin-kalvus.de/

Quote:
Why not continue to borrow what works from other arts?

Because this is something I see in most peoples work, and at first glance it makes obvious sense to take (borrow lol) from other arts. if it ain't broke don't fix it. No sense reinventing the whewl.
I would like to rephrase it. Why, not why not. Why continue to borrow what works from other arts ? Reinventing the wheel might beyond most of us. :shrug:

My experience with principles in tai chi is they won't do any good unless they were transmitted by a family member or disciple. And cannot be manifested until skill and technique is ready to accommodate them. Knowledge can be as much a hindrance as it is a danger.
he4rty

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Not sure I've fully understood the question and have no knowledge of martial arts, but here we go

1 performer is always in control of the ball/balls even if from audience perspective they might not appear to be.

2 there should be some kind of relationship between performer and ball.

3 believe in what you are doing and the audience will believe more what they see.

thats my few pennies.
hippypete

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:

as everyone is different they will all look at this discussion from a different view, i believe that there is a relation from within your own lifestyle and surroundings as to how you with present yourself whilst practicing or performing. for example say you have had an incident prior to your practice session or perfromance which has annoyed you. before bringing CJin into the equation an average person would listen to agressive or faster music, or do something as aposed to sitting down, relaxing and listening to love songs. so when you relate your music to your style it becomes faster. and as you practice, and learn, you will learn according to the feelings you were feeling at that time, resulting in your style being a part of you. each move learnt in a different mind set brings togeather a compolation of your skills and emotions. this all is expressed through your stlyle. and this is what makes us individuals. it may look as though we are doing the same thing, but very little can be related from that point onwards.

now i'll shut up
peace peeps
Keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, s**t snort and blaspheme
Let the heads cool and the engine run
Because in then end everything we do...
Is just everything weve done
(Forged Youth)

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Well... this is a pretty informative thread. I think that cj is not supposed to be defined by any one principle because there is no reason to limit yourself in something that can be so broadly expanded. Different techniques and principles should be used in a sort of balance and i don't think we should be putting certain things above others. We should not look at techniques in cj as being greater then another and i thought thats what you guys thought and its one of the reasons i love this community. I think these things because it seems that this site has been creating a sort of peace among each other and that most of us get along pretty well. It's one of the few places i've found that allows people to grow in a great art form and express themselves freely because of the un-definition and endless limitations. This site should create freedom not law...

O ya, and you should'nt lable certain types of thinking as being "hippi" that doesn't add to anything.

(F Y)
khan

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't have Drew's book in front of me at the moment, but there is a line in it along the lines of "you're not so much moving the ball, as creating a space for the ball to move into." (Sorry Drew for paraphrasing poorly.) That line comes specifically in the discussion of palmcircles, but I think can be generalized to serve as a cj principle.
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Kelvin
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: