ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Online Shop Reviews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twisthem488
Holder of the Titanium Spork

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: magicstor.com

I recently trashed my old 4" at the ren fest letting noobs play with it so I decided I'd order some more. Its a business expense right?
Anywho, I went with Bobs Magic Shop mainly because they were super cheap. $33 bucks for a 4" compared to the $80+ most people sell them for. Anywho, I ordered them online mid day and got a call from Bob about an hour later. I turns out I messed up some of my mailing information and he wanted to call and get it corrected. Good quick serverce. Points for that. I believe it was shipped that day (monday). a littl over a week later I emailed him back notifying him I hadnt recieved the ball. I asked for its shipping status on his end and for a confirmation code. He called me this morning with the code and said that after checking it online it had been attempted to be delivered but no one was home. A notice was left telling me to pick it up. Thats where the confusion lay. Either someone got in my box and took my notice, or I never got one. Right after Bobs call this morning I ran across the street to the post office and picked up my nice shiny balls

They were nicely packaged, each ball in its own box and both boxes covered in packing peanuts. Inside the box each ball was covered with seran wrap. This seems to be the industry standard for not scratching balls.

The first ball I opened has bubbles that I noticed right away. Some small ones inside

and a larger one right on the surface. You can actually feel it if you rub your finger over the spot. See how it sticks out?

The other ball has some very very very tiny bubbles. They are only visible if your looking real hard and the balls not moving.

Both balls are very clear. Compared to my old 4" acrylic they have the same clarity. They look much clearer though because of all the scratches, but its evident they are clear acyrlic. If only they had no bubles. Well, you get what you pay for I guess.

Guess which ones the old 4"

Pro
*Very cheap! Less than half the price of other 4"
*quick shipping. 4 days for one of the cheapest options
*good customer service. Bob was on top of things the entire time and always got back to me quickly
*good clear acyrlic

Cons
*Bubbles!

Conclusion

If you want cheap acyrlics or good practice balls, definately buy them from magicstor.com If your planning on doing shows where no one will be within several feet of you and you dont mind defects, buy the balls.

If, however you are completely occjd and you must have perfect balls I recommend yoyoguy.com His 4" arent always in stock, but they are still cheap at $52 dollars. No defects, very clear very pretty. contactjuggler.com also has cheap smaller balls.

I like the store for cheap balls. I dont think I'll shop there for any more performance/close up balls, but for practice and extra's i'd be more than happy because of the low prices. Its up to you for what you want. I hope to get some 3" there for learning multiballs soon
Drew

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

wow, now thats an indepth and useful review. Thanks!
Heimdall

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Sorry this isnt quite a review but i just found this and had to show you all
http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=95
scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a 4" acrylic for a extremely generous price of $246.40! wooot soo i wouldnt reccomend this site for cjers. thats a serious hole in your pocket
duploh

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject:

new and doubts :

i would like to buy a 100mm CLEAR UV acrylic
and i'm still not sure from wich company i should buy:
dube.com or magicstor.com (or maybe the starter kit from neonhusky)

*magicstor is cheaper , but then i only have the ball.

*with dube i would like to order, polish, the ball and the in isolation dvd.

*or the neon husky starter kit (if this one has the 100mm UV clear). then i have a bag , ball, dvd , AND full polish kit for 60euro's (shipping costs not included) (but not the 'in isolations dvd though)
but i looked around on this topic and there seems to be quite some people who have 'bubbles' in the balls from neonhusky ?

can someone give me some advice on this ?
thx

Dream on. Dream off.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

A Firetoys Review: www.firetoys.co.uk

Of the British based juggling suppliers I tend to use Firetoys, they seem to have the largest range and in terms of delivery and customer service they're pretty much spot on.

For my last order I requested 2 white UV 76mms (which I've been coveting for a while); unfortunately I got a call the day after my payment saying that the person in charge of shipping had noticed something odd and measured the balls, recording them as around 70mm.

Disappointing but fair play to them, they knew about their products and what their customers need from them, rather than just sending it off.

In the end they offered me a replacement, I went for UV clears. They arrived the day after the phone call (here was me expecting to wait another day) and they're nae bad, quite bubbly (very fine bubbles and only noticeable on very close inspection) but after having two orders mess up before this (white UVs and HomeOfPoi) I think I'm just going to keep hold of these.

All in all? Firetoys are great and thoroughly recommended to all Brits

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Spazzle

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Ordered some aqua acrylics from firetoys on Tuesday and confused as to why they hadn't arrived yet i checked my email to find an 'order held' message. Apparently they're out of the free acrylic pouches and wanted to know if it was ok to send the acrylics now and send the pouches later when they were back in stock. I only bring this up because Wednesday morning i had a 'your item has been shipped' email which is obviously automated and not actually true. Keep checking your email when ordering from them! Ive been sat eagerly for the postie today and yesterday and now ive gotta wait until Monday
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” G.C
Somnilocus

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Review of NeonHusky.com

First ordered a set of practice poi (which are nice for the price), and a 4" Blood-Red Acrylic.

I got my order almost three weeks later. When held up to the light, the acrylic is filled with tiny specks. When palm-rolling, I noticed a raised imperfection that was pretty annoying... I took a look, and there was a spot roughly the size of a, um... Skittle? that looked like a pair of pliers or something had pressed down on it before it had cured.. it was textured.

NH explained that the specks happen with deep colours, it's concentrated dye... ok, I could live with that. They said the raised, textured mark was a problem they've repeatedly received complaints about... ok, so, I wish these things had been mentioned on the site before I bought it.

They gave me a 10% store credit.

I decided to go ahead and order the set of polish, three 65mm clear acrylics and one 65mm lime green acrylic.

After placing the order, I received an e-mail from them to let me know that they were out of 65mm clears (again, wish this had been mentioned on the site...) and they were expecting to get a new shipment the first week of October. This was on September 21st.

Into the second week of October (9th), I hadn't received an e-mail so I contacted them. They said that the shipment was being held for extended customs inspection and would be there at the end of that week or early next week.

October 21st, still no news. Contacted again. The "latest news" was that their order arrived without any 65mm clears. They said they had "spoken to the source" and that they were sending them out immediately, and "might even be there today." They said my order would ship "within the next couple of days."

November 2nd, once again, no update. Contacted them.

"After several reminders to our supplier, I finally have a few 65mm
balls on their way, they are due to arrive Wednesday and your order
will ship either Wednesday or Thursday."

Thursday I e-mailed to confirm that they shipped. Saturday night and I've yet to hear from them.

I wish they would have sent me updates all along without me having to constantly ask for them. It would have also been nice if they had offered to send the rest of my order while I waited.

Selection: 9/10 (why I chose them in the first place)
Quality: 4/10 (especially frustrating that they have had consistent problems and haven't done anything about them; good for practice, not for performing)
Shipping: 4/10 (decent prices but fairly slow)
Customer Service: 1/10 (extremely frustrating...)

Won't be buying from them again.
imp39

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject:

on bob's magic shop, i have bought a few different balls from them. I have a few three inchers that were perfect, but a 4" that had a very small artifact, you definitely have to be looking for it. Bob however, will exchange them if something is wrong, so you can get perfect for cheap!
Thorn

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject:

[quote="imp39"]on bob's magic shop, i have bought a few different balls from them. I have a few three inchers that were perfect, but a 4" that had a very small artifact, you definitely have to be looking for it. Bob however, will exchange them if something is wrong, so you can get perfect for cheap![/quote]

That's because Dr. Bob is a sweetheart. ^_^ It's really nice to finally meet one of our suppliers of Acrylics. He's got a good business and they work like mad to make sure we are happy.

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
Lirnyk

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey there,

I just wanted to say, I've been buying from Husky for 4 years or so now, and their quality and service is usually fantastic. The recent customs thing got him really frazzled, so things were upset for a while there. Their acrylics (except for the newest colors/varieties) are usually 8 or 9 out of 10, and they're customer service is usually excellent. The Magic Shop is definitely nice for the practice stuff, but I think you just happened to order from Husky at a bad time.

My 2 Cents.

[quote="Somnilocus"]Review of NeonHusky.com

Selection: 9/10 (why I chose them in the first place)
Quality: 4/10 (especially frustrating that they have had consistent problems and haven't done anything about them; good for practice, not for performing)
Shipping: 4/10 (decent prices but fairly slow)
Customer Service: 1/10 (extremely frustrating...)

Won't be buying from them again.[/quote]
Dizz
Not so Normal

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Ouch.
Illumilatte

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I have ordered a couple of colored 2.75" Inch acrylics from Husky once, the balls arrived very quickly(2 days) and are pretty. I didn't order my clears from them though, because I have heard about issues with their clears.
Somnilocus

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject:

Although the quality of the 4" blood-red wasn't AS nice as I had hoped, it was still decent. It's definitely not something others notice, it's one of those little things that drive only you nuts because you know it's there.

I admit, I was getting frustrated, because the site didn't say they were out of stock, and was repeatedly told that they would be there "on this day, and shipped the same day" and then there would be another problem. The communication problems turned out to be an e-mail problem (e-mail didn't go through on his end), so I will edit that out of the last post. Their customer service HAS been very good, they're nice people.

He did offer to make up for the long delay by upgrading my order to three UV clears instead of regular clears.

The first order arrived very quickly, so, yeah, it was probably just a "bad timing, bad luck" sort of deal. The order just arrived today and the quality of all the balls (UV clears and lemon/lime ball) are VERY nice, clear, no bubbles, etc. So I'm quite happy with them.

Quote:
That's because Dr. Bob is a sweetheart. ^_^ It's really nice to finally meet one of our suppliers of Acrylics. He's got a good business and they work like mad to make sure we are happy.

I just put in a large order from there, can't wait to get 'em.
Somnilocus

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject:

AWWWWW CRAP! I just took them under some light (night here and I just got them). Well, I guess I spoke too soon.. here are two UV clears...

One has a yellow-ish tint... Also, the lemon/lime one is slightly larger.
Somnilocus

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Just so you guys are aware, Neon responded about the difference in size between the balls I ordered that were all supposed to be 65mm.

" As for the size difference, all the balls we sent in this
latest shipment came to us as 65mm. There is sometimes a difference
of 2 or 3 mm from ball to ball. We're aware of the problem and are
working with the factory to correct it."

So keep that in mind if you're ordering different colours for multiball... the difference between my clears and lemon-lime is VERY slight yet I could feel the difference (which is the main annoyance; the visual difference is so slight you don't notice unless you get up close and LOOK for it) as soon as I started playing with them together. Haven't gotten a response about the funky UV yet though.

He's offered to exchange (again) but to be honest I could have bought another acrylic for the costs of return shipping for a 4" and 2 2.5" inchers. =P
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Buy / Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: