ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Flexibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saulie

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject:

I guess I just do everythng the hard way. lol

Saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
su2po

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Flexibility

[quote="T0dd"].

I've often noticed that regular ballistic jugglers tend to be lean, wiry people. I don't know if this is because they tend to be starving artists, or because juggling itself has a selection effect, favoring that body type.
.[/quote]

i know what you mean but i dont think body shape has anything to do with it flexibility is just practice, do some streches and youll be surprised after a while
jstntlvr

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I found a youtube video the other day with some hand stretches I know a few more beside whats on it that I use befor I play my doumbek

linky
Kakihara: Listen, when you're giving pain to someone, don't think about the pain that person is feeling. Just concentrate on how good it feels to be causing someone pain. That's the best thing you can do for a true masochist!
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:

good stuff jstntlvr; have a watch people, it may be about bass but he makes a whole load of important points and a new stretch which I haven't seen before.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
jstntlvr

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm just glad that as an amiture I can find something to contribute on occasion
Kakihara: Listen, when you're giving pain to someone, don't think about the pain that person is feeling. Just concentrate on how good it feels to be causing someone pain. That's the best thing you can do for a true masochist!
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:

Try the mineshaft with DDD boobies, THEN talk to me.

Seriously, though! Yoga is the way to go. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm. And sometimes you just have to adjust and work with your body.

jstntlvr makes a really good point... my art teacher REQUIRED all of us to do these hand stretches before, after, and during our work. She developed some major problems from DRAWING... yeah, not very hardcore, yet it permanently ruined her wrist. She can barely grip things anymore. And, surprisingly, because of doing these stretches daily... fingers end up being able to bed backwards and kiss their own butts, seriously.
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I am not that young any more. but have recently been able to put both legs behind my head. something I havent been able to do since I was about 14 lol
jstntlvr

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: caution wen stretching

Quote:
fingers end up being able to bed backwards and kiss their own butts

pleas be careful with this, that may mean you're stretching your tendons and they don't recover like muscle. You have greatly increased the anterior flexibility of your hand but possibly at the cost of grip strength and possible permanent tendon damage. you should only stretch to the edge of comfort not to the edge of your pain threshold ( I don't mean to say this is what you have done just that it can happen if a person isn't careful) stretching is a careful balancing act between good flexibility and good tendon strength. Week tendons make joints more prone to injury and stretched tendons are week

The above is mostly my slightly educated opinion
su2po

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Colin"]I am not that young any more. but have recently been able to put both legs behind my head. something I havent been able to do since I was about 14 lol[/quote]

wow i'v never been able to do that.
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
pleas be careful with this, that may mean you're stretching your tendons and they don't recover like muscle. You have greatly increased the anterior flexibility of your hand but possibly at the cost of grip strength and possible permanent tendon damage. you should only stretch to the edge of comfort not to the edge of your pain threshold ( I don't mean to say this is what you have done just that it can happen if a person isn't careful) stretching is a careful balancing act between good flexibility and good tendon strength. Week tendons make joints more prone to injury and stretched tendons are week

Lol no worries, I didn't quite mean it literally (I rarely do). ;P You're always to be very gentle with these stretches, never forcing anything. This is all it requires, and it increases your flexibility muchly~
jstntlvr

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject:

glad to hear it
by the way why did you get rid of the lecherous pikachu
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject:

jstntlvr wrote:
glad to hear it
by the way why did you get rid of the lecherous pikachu

Why, you likey?

*POOF* it has changed again, as if by some sort of magics.
dpizarro159

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

wyahahhahahaa stewie.....
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: caution wen stretching

[quote="jstntlvr"]
/quote]

something like that. the more you stretch the less of a rush you will be when you do it. I am less likely to go in for the pain threshold if I am keeping up on my health.

Also probably more important than range of flexibility, is alignment. when stretching, keep you feet pointing in straight lines, hips squared, back erect, things like that.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

I do hand and wrist loosening/stretching stuff before I start. I'm a drummer, so I do stuff we did on the drum line to limber up; wrist rolls, arm rotations, stuff like that. I know one I do (take it easy with this one if you're wrists aren't so limber) is I hold a stick with both hands palm up, pinkies together, then rotate the stick in and down so its now under my arms, then extend my arms out again. If you're wrists aren't all that loose, I would recommend probably not extending your arms out totally straight, and maybe not having quite as tight of a grip on the sticks so your wrist isn't rotated over quite as far. I'll also do the same palm up grip and just rotate the stick straight up (or past) each direction. That gets my wrists nice and loose, and I just to a little bit of regular stretches for the rest. I usually do some of the finger exercises that Shifty was showing in the Playing in the Multisphere dvd (which I believe were from www.handhealth.com) especially if I'm going to do multisphere stuff.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: