ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
how long did it take for you to
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsp

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: how long did it take for you to

Master the butterfly? I've only been doing this for 2 days and its vary frustrating, perhaps its the ball I'm practing with? I went and purchased a baseball to practice with until my stage ball comes in from dube. Anyway I was just wondering if this trick was frustrating for anyone else?
dirtyballs

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Im still finding it hard to get a nice consistent and fluid movement on a butterfly, and ive been CJ for a year. Yes its frustrating, and yes things get broken more often than not when i backhand the ball across the room.

I have no idea about a baseball, but im guessing its a bit light. I find it much easier with a heavier ball (not too heavy!), as this eliminates the bumping that makes it look messy.

the only other tips i have to offer are the painstaking obvious ones. do it with the bad hand, and slow it down so you can pick up on weak spots.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

I've learned really fast from what most people I've talked to, and it took me a week of practicing a lot every day to get the butterfly in both hands, and that definitely wasn't 'mastered'. I know other people that it took well over a month to get a decent one. First lesson in CJ, DON'T get frustrated while learning. Take it all together as a package. You can teach someone a basic juggling cascade pretty quickly, probably a matter of minutes just for a simple toss & catch thing, but CJ is a whole other thing and takes a LOT more time and work. But the results are far more rewarding in my opinion. Pay attention to everything, you can learn new moves from your mistakes sometimes. When I was learning full arm rolls, I accidentally caught the ball on my collar bone and was like "Wow! wonder if I can do that again?" so I tried, and a few tries later, got it, then worked on rolling it back down the arm to the cradle again. Since then, I've found that the trick was already being done, but to me it was new, I hadn't seen or heard of it before that. You might find it easier to start with hand flips, where instead of doing a full over the tip butterfly, you're doing a smaller version with your hand pointing forwards and rolling the sphere over the side of your index as your hand flips over. Get the feel of the sphere rolling and stopping in both holds, then try going over the fingertips again. I know some people that learned by making a V between their 1st and 2nd fingers to make a track for the sphere to roll on when learning to get the idea, then closed their fingers together once they got the hang of it. Just a couple ideas to try, see what works for you. But stick with it, you'll get it. Don't get mad, get glad...
Kitsune_Whisper

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

It took me a few days to get a basic butterfly and a month to make it look good.

It depends on how much you practice and I found that it was much easier once I got my stageball.

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here

-ee cummings

http://www.myspace.com/kitsune_whisper
hippypete

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

anyone got any tips for forearm rolls on the top
its hackin me off
in a non frustrated sorta way
ive been doin them for ages and reli cant get th hang of it
tips please
Keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, s**t snort and blaspheme
Let the heads cool and the engine run
Because in then end everything we do...
Is just everything weve done
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I learned with a 6" hollow stainless. Light weight and big surface area made it easy to balance. I kinda hold it in the cradle, tip it back towards my wrist and move my arm out under the sphere. The big ball definitely helped, gave me time to correct myself. I tried with my 3" acrylic at first, and that wasn't happening... I learned most of my arm/body rolls with that 6". I know a basketball is often recommended, but I don't have one. But either way, learn big then go smaller.
hippypete

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject:

i hav a 3" acrylic and a 2" ive been using the 3" and ive got underside fore arm 1s. but th movement and angle and everything just seems weird with top side.
i dont have any bigger balls tht i can get my hands on this minute and its raining.
so it works better if i almost isolate it by moving my arm under it insted of rolling it along my arm?
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I would advise trying to get something bigger, something else I use is actually a dog toy... its a 4" tennisball looking ball, but its heavier, and its not squishy like a tennisball, more harder rubber. Basically, its about the same feel as a stageball with fuzz on it. Also, it was $1.99 at the local pet store. It's lighter than the acrylics, so it won't try to fall off quite as easily, and though not as much area as the 6", its still alot easier. are you working on rolls with your arm straight out, or more sideways like an arm drag?
(Forged Youth)

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject:

from what ive herd on other articles people usually start out by moving their arm under the ball (for top of forearm rolls) instead of letting the ball roll and gradually get to were it can roll easier. Just what ive herd..
hippypete

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:

im tryin to get genie rolls and wher you have the ball infront of you and roll it along the fore arm upto th elbow, thn onto the other hands cradle and reapeting it
it just wont go,
on th genies it keeps hitting my chest which is annoying
xdavidx

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

It only took me a few days to get a decent butterfly with my right arm. Of course I had seen someone doing CJ when I was in 6th grade on a school trip and ever since then I had been trying to duplicate what I had seen. Once I figured out what CJ was and really tried to learn I got it right off. However, it took me FOREVER with my left hand. I'm still not sure how I got it. I honestly woke up one day and tried it and BAM I had a nice butterfly with my left hand.

I was using 3" acrylics to learn on at first which was fine, but the balls started to get damaged from dropping. Then I got an MB 4" Stageball and things just fell into place. They're INCREDIBLY light, but because of the size you feel more of the ball and can really feel where you're messing up and can do something to fix it. Doesn't hurt that the stageball's going to do less damage to whatever you accidently through it in to which takes that nervousness away and helps you learn better.
Jowze

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry guys, are you talking about windshieldwipers
http://www.contactjuggling.org/mx/index.php?page=6&mode;=article&k;=148

Or Butterflies
http://www.contactjuggling.org/mx/index.php?page=6&mode;=article&k;=75
maybe this one looks a bit like the windshieldwipers, it could be done a little more "wavy" I'd say.

If it's butterflies... Man, I wish I could have gotten it in a few days... My left hand is still stuck at the windshieldwiper (alright I don't practice butterflies but still I'd like to pull it of left and right. i'm such a lazy ass sometimes)
dirtyballs

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:

i called my unsteady windscreenwiper a butterfly for quite a while

the more a practice with my bad hand though, the smoother the good one seems to become.
Jowze

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Yes I did too until I saw a proper graceful magical real butterfly pulled of. It killed me. So now I'd say I windshieldwip left hand and Butterflies right hand, but one can always get better.
dirtyballs

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:

my left hand is embarrassing, more like a bumblebee in the wind than a butterfly. well, at least my path to improvement is clearly signposted.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: