ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
lil' jw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil' JW

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: lil' jw

hey every one, i started cj'ing yester day and im fimdin rolls and stalls realy hard.i can roll the ball from my palm to my elbow but i cant keep control of it on the way back down. i can do some things realy well on my right hand but not on my left. oh and i would realy like some advice on palm circles. cheers
Cybele

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:

with the rolls i guess its just practice practice practice!
make sure you don't pamper your left hand, practice things on your left just as much as you would on your right. another peice of advice would be just to learn the rolls on your left hand first because your right hand will always adapt to it more easily.

as for palm circles, you have to learn to do it un-isolated first
like this: http://www.contactjuggling.org/mx/index.php?page=6&mode;=article&k;=119

when you've learnt to do that you sort of push your hand forward and around. i cant explain it so well but once you can do an un-isolated palm circle it soon becomse apparent how to isolate it!

good luck!
Redster

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Wow - it sounds like you're trying to do everything at once. First (and best advice that everyone gives, because it's true) is that you need to do the moves slowly. It makes it easier to feel what you're doing then, and will make learning the moves much easier in the long run.

You might also want to start out concentrating on one move until you've got it worked out before starting on a new one. It's less confusing that way, plus it's nice to have a move you can do to practice with when learning a new move gets frustrating. I think if I had several moves on the go to start out with, I'd get very confused and it would take me longer to learn, and it might have made me give up from frustration. It's worth nailing a move before starting a new one.

Try learning a move with your left hand first. I found that with most of the moves I've been learning that if I start with my left hand, my right hand seems to know how to do the move without much practice! The only time that hasn't happened so far is with the palm circles, where my right hand needs more work.

I only started palm circles a few days ago, but I find they're much smoother when I'm not watching the ball all the time. Practicing that while watching telly or reading a book or even just closing your eyes really does seem to help. Palm circles seem to work much better by touch and feel than they do with eyesight.

So take your time, take the moves slow and steady, and be patient; you won't be able to do everything at once overnight, but you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll pick moves up if you spend time and effort on them individually.

Other than that, you really need to check out PorcuBrine's video tutorials, because they're excellent and will really help.

http://www.contactjuggling.org/wiki/index.php/1_ball_tutorials
Somnilocus

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject:

If it were easy, every one would do it and it wouldn't be such a beautiful, magical thing to watch. Of course, like anything, it takes practice, practice, practice... and, I promise, even if it's hard and you feel like you're getting no where, with every attempt at a new move, the more muscle memory you develop and the closer you get to perfection.

This is your FIRST DAY Slow down and start with the basics: learn to balance the ball, without moving it, in the cradle position, as well as some stall points if you'd like... and then learn to walk around and such while maintaining balance in these stall points. Then perfect the butterfly...

Edit~

And as for your left hand not being up to par, well.. of course you're a righty and your left hand will take that much more work. Again, it's just a matter of practice.

And I totally agree with Redster: watch Briney's videos. Srsly.
Cybele

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:

the butterfly doesnt have to be the first move you learn or perfect, but you'll probably want to learn it eventually.
Somnilocus

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't have to be, but it's the backbone of many other moves and is good for learning balance.
nagini

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject:

to learn the butterfly, after i've learned to throw an catch the ball, i worked on the move without the ball.
it's a little bit boring (but the first months are always boring and frustrating with CJ... it takes passion to move on), but then the movement will be much more "clean".
Lil' JW

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: hi

cheers for your advice everyone i can almost do rolls perfectly and i can nearly do the inner elbow stall perfect aswell. im still finding isolations hard but i can do hand flips perfectly. i hav been eperimenting with head stalls and i can put the bal on my head and ballance it but i cant get it there. i am doing a christmas vid with spazzle. cheers.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: