ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Observations after five days

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redster

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 2:49 am    Post subject: Observations after five days

Well, five days at this, and I'm feeling pretty chuffed, as I'm picking this up faster than I hoped I would. I think this is probably due to Brinechild's awesome tutorial videos and browsing through these forums. I'm still very slow and fumbling the ball, but it seems to come easier every day I practice (surprising how something clicks into place by sleeping and starting again the next day). I also started CJ because I thought it would look cool. I had no idea it would feel cool, too. It just feels really nice and soothing having the ball roll over my fingers and hands.

Anyway, my newbie observations:

Suggestion for other newbies like me who wear glasses - try taking them off. I'm pretty dang blind without my goggles, and even I can manage to see a stonking great red ball in front of my face without my glasses on. I found that my eyes were feeling a little strained, and it was kind of distracting having the ball go past my frames and the like. I think it's causing my peripheral vision to get a bit confused, if that makes sense? Just taking them off made my eyes relax, followed by my body, and I actually find that I'm not having the need to focus on the ball all the time. It seems to make the learning progress go a tad smoother, too.

Related to that, CJing with your eyes closed is kind of awesome. I'm better with my eyes open for the most part, but it's like your sense of touch gets heightened, and then you hit this zone where it suddenly becomes smooth without needing to see anything, because your hands know what they need to do and where they need to be. Then you realise that you're doing it, fumble the ball and shatter the illusion.

Music - slow and soothing is most certainly the way to go for we beginners. It's surprising how much your body will pick up on beat and tempo without you even being aware of it. Even music that's not that fast in the scheme of things can cause me to speed up a tad too much for comfort, and it all goes wrong.

I had no idea that this would be like a workout. Okay, it's not as intensive, but it gets your heart rate going, and really works your arm muscles. I see my diabetes nurse next week, and will honestly be able to say that I'm getting exercise. The gods only know what she'll say when I tell her it's contact juggling. Maybe I should take my ball with me.

Finally, a couple of questions.

1) I notice that Brinechild seems to be drinking tea in a couple of his tutorial vids. How necessary is tea in the art of contact juggling, and is there any preferred blend? Is there also a preferred biscuit for dunking in said tea? I feel these are important things for we baby CJers to know.

2) Is it wrong to sleep with your ball?
aramis

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 2:56 am    Post subject:

Wow, very insightful post. I've been into this for a few months only, but I believe I have the answers to your questions.
1. Tea only becomes useful to the very advanced juggler, first learn the basics, palmspins, Isolations and the like, and then you can start learning how to drink the tea. Each thing in it's own time. Juggling is a very complex artform.
2. I think it would be wrong to sleep with any other ball than yours.
Saulie

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 3:00 am    Post subject:

I tend to go with an earl grey - hot... Just like Captain Peckard. And I dont sleep with my balls. I sleep with my Captain Peckard Action Figure...

The Borg cant assimilate me that way...

Welcome to the CJing Family.

saulie.

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
Aimee

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 4:16 am    Post subject:

You're right about the specs. I once met an artist who told me that if I ever got stressed out or had a creative block or anything, that's what I should do - just take them off for a while, and see the world the way it really isn't. The brain doesn't know how to handle those lines in front of your eyes; it's so busy trying to create an illusion of reality that having such a blatant visual reminder of your own presence confuses it. I don't wear them at all any more, it's great - after dark all the streetlights look like fireworks!

Pfft, music. Listen to Radio 4, it goes with the tea (Earl Gray, totally). Seriously, having something distracting on in the background has the same kind of effect has closing your eyes. One minute you're learning all about the ten thousand mistresses of Robert Burns, the next you look down and, hey, you're contact juggling! When did that happen?

Oh, and - custard creams. Yes indeed.
he4rty

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject:

But, but if I wear my specs its a good excuse not to even attempt any head rolls or holds.

As for the tea, ginger biscuits are the best.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject:

Tea is possibly as important as the contact juggling itself, ideally it should be earl gray with lemon, no milk though, that will only make you sluggish and unresponsive.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Kitsune_Whisper

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

black chai tea. Nothing is better.

I use CJ as a zen technique. WHen I need to ground, i pull out the 4" and start working on my tai chi inspired routine. SLow and fluid and everything else goes away. No kids, no school, no work, no worries mate.

That along with the new medication I have taken and I haven't seen a bad manic/depressive cycle in almost 4 months.

Hmm 4 months, that's how long I have been CJing.

Keep it up mi amigo nuevo. CJ is good for the soul.

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here

-ee cummings

http://www.myspace.com/kitsune_whisper
Drew

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

1) Yes. Tea. Although there are hardliners on a caffine drip. - Percol Fairtrade Coffee

2) LoL !!!1! Ministry Official Approval Granted

3) S2 IS great camera, and I dig what you've been doing with the supermacro
(ok I'm off topic but I checked your site)
Keb

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I confess, I sleep with my ball too. But I'm not that good yet...I think I need more practice.
munkie

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject:

uhoh, no more metal music for me...that may explain the slow progress, haha
Redster

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
aramis:
I think it would be wrong to sleep with any other ball than yours.

I'd never sleep with anyone else's ball. It would only make my ball jealous and sad.

Quote:
Aimee
I don't wear them at all any more, it's great - after dark all the streetlights look like fireworks!

Sadly, I have to wear my glasses most of the time, as I just can't function without them. I love the streetlamp thing, though, especially when the local town puts coloured bulbs up all over the place and we drive through it at night. So cool to take my glasses off and watch the floating spheres.

Quote:
Drew:
S2 IS great camera, and I dig what you've been doing with the supermacro

thanks! I feel all happy now that someone looked at my photos. My camera is the other thing I sleep with, and I predict future fights between my camera and my CJ ball over which of them gets the spare pillow.

Quote:
munkie:
uhoh, no more metal music for me...that may explain the slow progress, haha

Are you incorporating headbanging and moshpit performances into your CJ? But yeah, I think heavy metal would throw me off a bit as it'd probably work me up too much.

(any reason the quoting specific people function seems broken?)
GreenMonk

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject:

[quote="Keb"]I confess, I sleep with my ball too. But I'm not that good yet...I think I need more practice.[/quote]

Don't worry. Sleeping with your ball comes fairly naturally to most people. You shouldn't need to practice that much to be able to sleep with it.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: