ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How often do you switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xdavidx

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: How often do you switch

Like I said in my last post I just got my stage ball. I'm using it more for practice than for show, if I was going to perform I'd use my acrylics(IMO they just look better). That being said, how often do you all switch from practicing with your acrylics and your stage ball? I figure if you practice with one or the other too often you'll end up getting used to that ball and not do so hot with the other.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I much prefer Stage ball over acrylics.

but switching balls is Good, I reckon. I switch between four or five different types of ball every practice session.

each different type of ball has different properties, which makes them better for some things and worse for others. constant switching helps give you an all round better control and feel of what you want to do.

Different brand of balls have different properties too...

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
Jowze

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I've got only a little bit less than one year of practice but here it is :

I got 80mm acrylics and 100mm stage balls.
I tend to use both acrylics and stage balls for armrolls cause I start to have some of them kinda solid.
For chest and behind the neck roll which I still need to improve I don't use acrylics : I would crash rooms and kill people. Once they'll be solid and going
with the bigger softer ball I'll give it a go more regularly with acrylics.
For Palmspinning, acrylics most of the time even if I goof with my stage balls.

So yeah : "solid" moves I practice with both and others with stage or RG ball. When I feel cool with a move I switch but keep practicing with stage ball cause it feels good.
nagini

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject:

i think that, once you've tried the acrylic ball,
it's hard to return to the stage one:
the acrylic is heavier and rolls better on your hands and on your body;
and, last but not least, looks better than the stage ball.

but even when the moves you've learned are improved, be careful with the place you choose to perform.

i've just broke my acrylic ball on a little stone... (i didn't think it could be possible!!!)

So avoid the places with little stones on the ground, if you want to CJ in a park, be careful of stones hidden under the grass .
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject:

for multiball..not really. though I suspect I would like and use a set of 80mm ones just for hand health and making 3" feel tiny But not really for long sessioning I would think. :shrug: (need shrug smilie)

Yeah practice with a few types of balls. but imo sticking to the ball you perform with/like the most is my advice. But if you are a acrylic person practicing with a stage ball is very wise.

I roll a 3"acryl and a 100mm stage. I am going to get a 100mm solid practice ball. Oh and I use 80mm stage balls a lot these days too. I just like lots of balls.
T0dd

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I still use my 3" Kong doggy ball for most practice, since when I drop it, it bounces and I can usually catch it. It's about the same weight as a 2.75" acrylic, which is small for one-ball work, but that's okay. The progression is: practice a lot with the doggy ball, then switch to the 2.75" acrylic, then try a heavier acrylic. I seem to be getting things just a little bit smoother each day now. Still a long way to go, but I finally have a sense of making progress. I keep a small acrylic in my brief case too, so that when I'm in my office and I have a few minutes, I practice a little. It's a good way to clear my head.
Cameron

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject:

Fooy on Stage Balls They Feel Like Garbage!

No but in all seriousness I hate them!

I do have some 4 inch rubber balls i got form kenetick juggling or what ever its called Sky rocks shes a cool lady. there solid and they weigh semi close to the weight of an acrylic... I barely ever use them either but I use them alot more then my stage balls. Practice how you Perform... and Preform how you Play... Or something deep like that...
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject:

I recently practiced for about 3 months solidly on 2 100mm acrylics, now I'm trying to re-learn all that good stuff with 75mm and it's done great things for my control.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
simon_a
simon

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject:

i started out on 80mm practice balls and moved up to a 100mm as soon as i saw one!!
then got a 100mm stage ball, and then a 100mm acrilyc just last month and im finding it hard to ajust to it so i almost just stick to my stage ball for most things and use my acrilyc for isolashions!!!
the hardest thing is finding a safe place to practise with my acrilyc (now that the weather is getting worse!)
Crash

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject:

Stage for any rolls/ catches (although I use both once I get it down good)

Acylics for 1 ball work and multiball ('natch)

Isolations I start with my stage ball (tell marks baaaahhhh!) then graduate to my 4" acylic (shiny gooooddd!). It's just hard as hell to do some of the fancier finger-oriented moves like enigmas with an 4" acrylic.

I am weak, dammit!

But when I'm just messing around I switch between all of them and try to do everything with every different type. 2.75", 3", 4", 4" stage, 3" stage, the 88cent rubber ball I found at a store, and various types of round candy.

edit: Oohh, can't forget to mention: Stage ball when I want to practice while standing behind the sound board at my college. (I sound-tech for my college's band). Acrylic there is a definate no.
Cameron

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Ok I love isos and i dont use much but a 4 inch acrylic and havent for a long time except multiball and i use 3 inch for that... But I reckomend to everyone learn your iso with a smaller ball... the smaller the better well odviously theres a limit id say just under 2 inches and your gona be fighting seriously uphill... but ill also say this a 4 inch acrylic doesnt give me any problems and deffenly not for enigmas...
Aimee

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

I've got a stage ball kicking around somewhere (it used to be orange.. why do they pick up stains so easily?) but it's rubbish, much too light and not nearly dangerous enough to be exciting. That said.. when I started learning palm isolations with an acrylic after struggling with that thing, it was like magic. Probably it's better to switch a lot more than I do, if only to remind myself how much fun the acrylics are.
Saulie

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I have never realy used iso's that much. But when I do I like my 4 in for them. I should realy work more with iso's and palm spinning. But I have always liked the fluidity and movement of the body rolls and whatnot.

But after i started getting different spheres I come to realize that each one seems helpfull in its own way.

I always use my 3 in acrylics once I have a move down. It has always been my belief that smaller spheres help fine tune rolls. So I will start with a 4in to learn. Then move to a 3 in to master.

For Palmspinning I have heard to move up in size to get better.

saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: