ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Another UK n00b

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redster

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Another UK n00b

Hey there. I'm Red, currently living in Lincolnshire in the UK, in one of the parts in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. So, to cheer myself up, I thought I'd try playing with colourful balls, and have a go at contact juggling because it looks pretty blimmin' amazing.

I'm really interested in trying out multiball, but I'm getting a little confused with what balls I need to get exactly. I know it's not safe for me to use acrylics right now (mainly for the poor acrylics, my monitors, TV, windows, cats, random sheep, etc), and looking at various juggling sites I can't tell which of the practice balls would be okay, and which would be too grippy for multiball. I picked up a stage ball for playing around with one ball, and I can tell that's going to be way too grippy for multi. So, if I were to order some balls for multiball from, say, firetoys.co.uk (or any other suitable site, I'm not picky so long as postage to the UK isn't a killer), what kind should I get? Sadly, online is my only option right now, because of the middle of nowhere thing (sheep just don't cut it as decent transport). Any and all advice gratefully accepted, thank you.

Now, I am off to stare longingly at my stage ball. The cats will murder me if I start playing with it because they've already been scared to death by the bonfire night fireworks, poor things.
Spazzle

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject:

Hi Red welcome to the forum!

I think i may be able to help with some of those questions. Im a newbie too and went about CJ the same way - started with one ball then took an interest in multiball but had no idea where to start! well i asked a lot of questions and with some guidance from fellow forum members ive just ordered 4x70mm acrylics and Drews book Multiball Contact from firetoys. Broken down the advice was buy at least 4 balls to get started with multiball to get the most out of it, have a look at this link to work out what size balls are best for you: http://www.ministryofmanipulation.com/Book/Multiballsizechart_appendix2.pdf and Drews book is a must have for anyone learning multiball or CJ in general. As for what type of balls I may be wrong but as i understand it its ok to start out with acrylics or metal balls, im not sure there are any recommended practice balls because of the friction issue you mentioned.

Hope this helps
Redster

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 1:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Spazzle, that's very helpful. I'm getting the impression that multiball is a much more expensive hobby than the single ball variety of CJ. Plus, there's the fact that I'm like a magpie when it comes to shiny things, and acrylic balls look very shiny indeed... this could be a very slippery slope I'm about to start on.
munkie

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject:

Hello redster, im new here too. im sure you'll love it here, everyones been really friendly and helpful to me since i joined. love this plac already
Loves Christmas Day
(LCD)

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hello Redster, welcome to dotorg!

Heh, loads of new UK people joining, we must have a CJ convention soon..

Tea? Coffee? Biscuits?
munkie

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject:

sounds good to me
Redster

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the welcome - you all seem so friendly.
Illumilatte

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject:

Welcome Enjoy your stay here!

If you need a cheap option for Multiball you can get wood balls. Do some searches on this forum and there are some posts about getting them cheaply I believe. Also if you are interested in multiball I highly recommend Drew's book on multiball. It's excellent. I'm sure he would recommend it too .
dirtyballs

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

hey Redster, im new and from lincolnshire too. spooky eh!

i bought 4x 65mm balls for multiball a while back and i have to say they were way too small and light. I ended up returning them, but thats always gonna be the problem when you have to use mail order since you can't try the balls first.
Redster

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject:

Ah, another Lincolnshire prisoner? You have my sympathy, dirtyballs. We could probably lob balls at each other from miles away - god knows it's flat enough round here. Though if you're in Lincoln itself, the Wolds are probably in the way. Plus with my aim, I'd probably hit a stray sheep.
su2po

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

hello

dirtyballs

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Ha, i live on the lincolnshire cliff pretty much. (google it, we really do have a "cliff" in lincolnshire) and im sure we have more cows than sheep - which are far easier to hit
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: