ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Has anyone seen these yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sou

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Spazzle"]On the subject of customs and the ridiculous prices of UK acrylics, I emailed the folks at Dr Bobs magic shop about international shipping and they replied: "We send as Novelty / Juggling Balls and have not heard of any Customs Charges - but I think VAT is added."

The stuff i want from America costs £110 inc P&P;, same items from UK comes to £260!!! Also, every time i try to do anything on Firetoys it crashes my laptop and that makes me reeally mad!!

sooo... senarios on a £110/$220 order of acrylics from America to UK:

Best case - only VAT is charged at 17.5% Order Total: £130

Worst case: 17.5% VAT is added, customs duty is payable at around 12% and Royal Mail handling fee is charged at £8 Order Total: £151

Am i missing anything? Just want to make sure i dont get landed with a whopper of a bill [/quote]

I don't know if there's anybody in the States you know well enough to be comfortable with it but you could always buy stuff have it sent to someone stateside and have them send it to you with a note saying it's a gift. Then you don't have to worry about customs. I'd definitely be willing to help you with this.

--Brine Child
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the offer Sou, i may get in touch very soon!
Kerry

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't know if there's anybody in the States you know well enough to be comfortable with it but you could always buy stuff have it sent to someone stateside and have them send it to you with a note saying it's a gift. Then you don't have to worry about customs. I'd definitely be willing to help you with this.

*cough cough* Some shops also do that if you ask (sometimes even if you don't)...
kerry(at)contactjuggling . org
http://www.myspace.com/puka_gruagach
shadoes

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject:

The Magic Depot linked above is located here in Tulsa, they do have a small stock but I did pick up one of the 3 inchers and it is quite nice and the staff was very helpful and friendly and seemed interested. Point being if there was a viable market they would probably be open to trying to stock more CJ stuff.
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone seen these yet?

[quote="PorcuBrine"]spotted these on the firetoys website:
http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/white_uv_acrylic_contact_juggling_ball.html

And I want, I want a lot. Has anybody seen them in the flesh yet, wondering whether they're any different to the usual white acrylic.

Or different enough to warrant buying a couple any way.[/quote]

I like.

However. Its getting increasingly harder to buy matching acrylics since the more recent influx of Chinese made acrylics coming from places like here...hmm where is\that address. ah- http://www.asia.ru/en/Catalog/?company_id=79371&category;_id=7866 http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10490275/Glass_Crystal_Ball_Beads_Acrylic_Contact_Juggling_Balls.htmlThey are seemingly producing metric sizes to the nearest imperial equivelent. So 76mm becomes 3". Which it is not. They should be 76.2mm. Plus the quality will likely not always be like what is produced from american manufacturers. Luckly I can usually spot where things are being made just from the color range, price, and clues from the sizing info that is available from the outlet. The best thing to be sure is know where the balls you want come from. Or as I would, buy a matched set from one manufacturer. My money goes for true 3" and American made for multiball. Havent found anything that beats it.
It is essential for pleasure that balls are highest standard and in no circumstance can they be even .2mm size variation. Well that is very minute, but you get the idea. anyway not sure about what babache sizes are like or where they are manufactured.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject:

sou wrote:

Doesn't always work, I'm afraid.

I ordered 24 acrylics from EL, and had them sent to my sister in Florida in order for her to label them gift and forward them. I got stung for 25% of the value...

They were labelled as gift, but also labeled as being worth a few hundred bucks.

Luckily, the pound was rather good against the dollar at that point...
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: