ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Black Speck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xdavidx

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Black Speck

So I've been checking over my balls lately because I've aquired quite a few heavy scratches on 'em and been going over and over with 1) should I buy some Novous and 2) should I get a good practive ball so I don't destroy my acrylics? Well I'm looking at my clear acrylic and there's a small black speck inside the ball that wasn't there when I bought it, like a speck of dirt. I know it might sound far fetched, but is there any way dirt can accumulate inside a ball?
Ashamalee

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject:

I don't believe so, as they're solid. Maybe it's been there all along, and you just didn't notice?

*Edit*

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Acrylics (Polymethyl-Methacrylate or PMMA) is an amorphous thermoplastic which is optically transparent, unaffected by moisture, and offers a high strength-to-weight ratio. Common trade names of acrylic include Plexiglas®, Lucite®, and Acrylite®.

GENERAL PROPERTIES
Acrylics offer high light transmittance with a Refractive Index of 1.49 and can be easily heat-formed without loss of optical clarity. Prolonged exposure to moisture, or even total immersion in water, does not significantly effect the mechanical or optical properties of acrylic. Most commercial acrylics have been UV stabilized for good weatherability and resistance prolonged sunlight exposure.

Acrylics are unaffected by aqueous solutions of most laboratory chemicals, by detergents, cleaners, dilute inorganic acids, alkalis, and aliphatic hydrocarbons -- however, acrylics are NOT recommended for use with chlorinated or aromatic hydrocarbons, esters, or ketones.

--EL

So they never fully set, but there's also no way for anything to get inside of it that wasn't there before. Interesting, though: does anyone have any really old acrylics? It sounds like they might eventually begin to change color as they are exposed to sunlight over long periods of time. Of course, most acrylics probably don't live that long...there are too many sidewalks in this world.

Last edited by Ashamalee on Mon Oct 29, 2024 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
xdavidx

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 12:34 am    Post subject:

[quote="Ashamalee"]I don't believe so, as they're solid. Maybe it's been there all along, and you just didn't notice?[/quote]

that's what I was thinking. It really iritates me, I held it up and inspected before I bought it. Course, out of all the dings the ball has, the one thing that really bothers me is a little dirt inside the ball.
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject:

It would be a question of quantum tunneling, it is possible for a fleck to make it through to the inside of an acrylic but the probability of this being able to happen are incredibly small.

When you go quantum its wave function that determines the probability of a particles location -meaning particles act as probability waves when they're not being observed. They exist only as 'likelihoods' of a particle being at a given point in space at a given time. When the probability waves of the fleck meets the energy barrier of the acrylic most of the wave will be reflected back but there is a little tiny probability that a small part of the wave will leak/tunnel through.. tada....new fleck old ball theory!

Lol, sorry to waffle on but i just did a long stretch of quantum physics as part of my degree and i found it really fascinating. Anyone interested in that kinda stuff should check out What The Bleep? Down The Rabbit Hole. Its a complete mind boggle and especially enjoyable if you're a fan of the ol' wacky backy....or so i hear

Royal

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject:

Spazzle wrote:
It would be a question of quantum tunneling, it is possible for a fleck to make it through to the inside of an acrylic but the probability of this being able to happen are incredibly small.

When you go quantum its wave function that determines the probability of a particles location -meaning particles act as probability waves when they're not being observed. They exist only as 'likelihoods' of a particle being at a given point in space at a given time. When the probability waves of the fleck meets the energy barrier of the acrylic most of the wave will be reflected back but there is a little tiny probability that a small part of the wave will leak/tunnel through.. tada....new fleck old ball theory!

Lol, sorry to waffle on but i just did a long stretch of quantum physics as part of my degree and i found it really fascinating. Anyone interested in that kinda stuff should check out What The Bleep? Down The Rabbit Hole. Its a complete mind boggle and especially enjoyable if you're a fan of the ol' wacky backy....or so i hear :wink:

:D :D :D

What the frick did you just say? Oo
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject:

Lol! sorry Royal! Its just stuff traveling through stuff was mentioned and i couldn't contain a science waffle! I really do highly recommend that dvd though for anyone interested
Royal

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject:

Haha, I'll forgive you.... this time...
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: