ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Practicing, first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loco Dantes

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Oh! Ive done the whole "Yoink a croquet ball paint it black and amazing CJ ball!"

Things I found out. I suck at sanding, and I didnt make it perectly round. And the little pock marks from croquet Bugged me. Also, when I would drop it, bits of the clear coat would flake off, and leave a white mark.

That being said, here are some other links that might make yer life easier

http://www.craftparts.com/mall/Balls.asp - Wood
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=ROM704-S/346.0 - Metal, Good size, but light
nagini

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2024 3:07 am    Post subject:

you'll be surprised about how fast the left hand can learn.
to me it happened the same, at first i thought "i'll never be able to learn with the left hand, i feel like i'm not even able to move it properly"...
But... SURPRISE!.. it was much easier than i thought..
Illumilatte

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject:

I love House I don't think I'd learn anything else while watching it, because I couldn't give it attention. Moves sometimes suddenly 'click' not like "I can do it perfectly now!" but 'hey, I CAN do it somewhat and I should be able to do this good one of these days if I ever practice' ;-P but don't be like me...you should actually practice.
T0dd

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject:

[quote="Loco Dantes"]Things I found out. I suck at sanding, and I didnt make it perectly round. And the little pock marks from croquet Bugged me. Also, when I would drop it, bits of the clear coat would flake off, and leave a white mark.

That being said, here are some other links that might make yer life easier

http://www.craftparts.com/mall/Balls.asp - Wood
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=ROM704-S/346.0 - Metal, Good size, but light[/quote]

One of the advantages of being, ahem, older (and there really aren't many) is that I already know that I suck at sanding and related craftsy things. So when I saw this, http://www.neonhusky.com/JShop/product.html/55/4/fa2d65d22ff9df6215c6cde8fd511aca in another thread, I immediately decided it would be better than trying to rehabilitate skanky old croquet balls.

I've looked at those gazing globes, but they really are light.
Elven Baller

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject:

stuped ren fest people selling wooden balls for well... more then all of the ones above now i feel like i got jipped
Illumilatte

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Haha, I saw you on the lernu! boards for Esperanto T0dd
ThatBallGuy
Nomadic Techno-Gypsy, Scavenger-Symbiote

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
stuped ren fest people selling wooden balls for well... more then all of the ones above Sad now i feel like i got jipped

Well you have to take into account that we're retail, and that site is mainly wholesale.

We buy our product at wholesale, and have to pay to have it shipped (which in large orders is quite substantial), and we still have to make a profit margin to where it's worth our time/effort, and we can still eat.

The extra cost in retail is for the convenience (being able to buy 1 ball instead of a half-dozen, not having to wait/pay for it to be shipped), plus a profit margin so we can stay in business and continue to offer our products and services.
T0dd

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject:

[quote="Illumilatte"]Haha, I saw you on the lernu! boards for Esperanto T0dd [/quote]

Shhhhhhh....I don't want people here to think I'm, you know, a crackpot.
Illumilatte

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject:

The only time I felt ripped off was a year ago when I first saw the CJ booth at renfest. Me and my friend could only afford to buy 1 of the cheaper balls. I suppose all the stage balls were sold out at the time. So we asked which would be better for a beginner a small metal ball(maybe 2 inchs at most) or the big wooden ball. I think he was in a hurry or just wanted to make a sale because he told us the small metal one and well...considering that thing was lethal and difficult to use since it was so small I didn't use it much and my friend didn't use his either

Luckily at Scarby I think That Ball Guy sold me a purple stage ball. I really like that one ^_^
Dizz
Not so Normal

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Buy the metal one off your friend and multi!
sylver_cat

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea..... hum.... multiball - I just receive Drew's book this afternoon. I am soooooo happy!!
T0dd

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Dizz"]And like a rubber ball, I come bouncin' back to you.[/quote]

Bobby Vee?

God I'm old...
Dizz
Not so Normal

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I love that song. I guess I could make my tag line:
Rollin' rollin' rollin' Keep those dogies rollin' Rawhide!
T0dd

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2024 1:00 am    Post subject:

Continuing this thread....maybe should be second impressions now.

It's slow going, but starting to smooth out a bit. I'm still working almost exclusively on a few basic moves: butterfly, palm2cradle pass, some simple isolations. No rolls or stalls yet. I want to have a few things looking more or less presentable before I move onto more.

I don't put as much time in as I should. We had a house guest for almost three weeks, and she was ill. That didn't stop me, but it slowed me down. Still, I manage to get some practice in, even if it's only ten minutes, every day.

I don't worry about stage balls, croquet balls, or any of that anymore. The 3" hard rubber Kong doggy ball is fine. It's round, is a decent size, and has enough weight that I can use it. I sometimes use the 3.5" acrylics, but not so much indoors, because I still send them flying a bit too often for comfort. The 4" acrylic isn't going to be an option for a while. The 2.75" acrylics are about the same weight as the doggy ball, and I play with them sometimes too.

The thing that I notice about this is...the same thing I noticed when I was learning simple 3-ball juggling a looooong time ago. To get better, I have to push and keep doing a move until I drop the ball. I can't keep stopping to play it safe. So if I'm practicing butterflies, I have to keep it going as a continuous motion until I lose control and drop. Initially, this happens quickly, but gradually it takes longer and longer before I lose it.

Obvious? Um, yep.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: