ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Beginner Knowledge Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessi2

Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Beginner Knowledge Question

I just picked up my first sphere today and now that I am browsing the forum and playing with the sphere that the ball I got might be too big for my hands. It measure 8 1/2 in around and I have small hands. On the other hand (no pun intended) should I not be worried about size but just get comfortable with the sphere and the whole concept first before I go out and buy a different size? Also figuring if I can learn tricks with a ball that might be bigger than usual any smaller ball would be easier not considering body rolling or what have you.

And ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-noob 101
Jowze

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject:

Hi !

Someone once told me : "If you can hold it, you can manipulate it". (well he said that in plural talkin about 3 4 inches !!)
I don't know the size of the ball you bought, nor what you're trying to d with it. But the size isn't a big issue for 1 ball (except maybe that a 4inch acrylic can get pretty heavy).
if you're trying multiball then it get's different.

I would suggest you to get used to the ball. But still I don't know the size of it, maybe it's an acrylic the size of a basketball or somethin. Anyway, a smaller ball is harder to bodyroll, usually people start with a big ball (even rythmic gymnastic balls) and get smaller and smaller when they start to get used to the move with the bigger ball.

I you check this out http://www.ministryofmanipulation.com/book/sample-pagesand look in appendix 2-which size the ball, you'll get something interesting, but then, it's for multiball, not one ball.

Have fun,
Jowze[/url]
jessi2

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks Jowze I remeasured and I am pretty sure I have a 4in acrylic. ( i wish the juggler I was buying it from would have suggested smaller but I suppose it would have been less money for her) For multiball looks like I would need 2.5 or 2.75 in. So I figure for right now I will just play around with the one I have however I was reading the other posts and for practice they said a lacrosse ball. Would that be a fine substitute for my purposes?
Thorn

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

[quote="jessi2"]Thanks Jowze I remeasured and I am pretty sure I have a 4in acrylic. ( i wish the juggler I was buying it from would have suggested smaller but I suppose it would have been less money for her) For multiball looks like I would need 2.5 or 2.75 in. So I figure for right now I will just play around with the one I have however I was reading the other posts and for practice they said a lacrosse ball. Would that be a fine substitute for my purposes?[/quote]

If you have small hands and are not used to the weight of a 4 inch ball *ALWAYS* be sure to warm up and carefully stretch your finger, wrist and arm muscles before you practice or you will seriously hurt yourself. My hands measure barely seven inches from the base of my palm (right before it turns into a wrist) to the tip of my middle finger. My 3 inch ball is often too heavy for me. The perfect size turns out to be a 2.7 inch ball for 1 ball work and 2.5 for multiball.

For just practicing the move to learn it, you may want to try a stage ball (www.dube.com) to get the muscle memory down and to cut down on possible injuries to yourself and damage to your environment. (It's easy to break stuff with a free flying 1 pound 4 inch acrylic).

I started out with a 4 inch glow in the dark slobber ball I stole from my dog. You can get them super cheap at pet stores. Also, the oversized tennis ball works well too, especially for learning body rolls.

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
Ryan
Ministry. Just like Colin
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

A four inch acrylic is a very special prop; the ball of choice for many performers who have a lot of skill with one ball.

Part of the reason for choosing this ball is because they isolate beautifully. The size and weight make for a large, clear illusion. That being said, its not easy to LEARN isolations with a four inch acrylic. Much of the learning process involves repetition of very small movements of the hand, something that a big heavy ball isnt good for...
jessi2

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:

The total beginner I am I think I might have measure the sphere wrong it is about the size of a baseball maybe a tiny bit bigger. That would be a 3" right?
Thorn

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:

[quote="jessi2"]The total beginner I am I think I might have measure the sphere wrong it is about the size of a baseball maybe a tiny bit bigger. That would be a 3" right?[/quote]

I'm not sure. It might even be a 3.25. It's more likely a 3 something than a 4 though, if it's baseballish.

jessi2

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Seems to be that way. Which practice ball type do you recommend in the 2.5" seeing as the stage balls start at 3"?
Thorn

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject:

[quote="jessi2"]Seems to be that way. Which practice ball type do you recommend in the 2.5" seeing as the stage balls start at 3"?[/quote]

Well, the thing about stage balls and the rubber dog ball thing I mentioned before is that they don't weigh as much. That's the main killer right there if you're not used to it. If you're only doing one ball work to begin with, smaller in size is actually a problem.

jessi2

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Okay sorry If my questions sound silly just trying to learn as much as I can.

So for one ball play I will get the slobber ball to practice I will hold on to my 3" acrylic to play with once I perfect some of the tricks and If I decide to do multi-ball I will go to the 2.5 inchers?

So for one ball play my 3" and a practice ball should be all I need?

Lets see if I finally got this right.

btw thorn thanks for your help
Jowze

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject:

For one ball a practice ball or a stage ball is cool combined with your 3" acrylic, as in "when I feel ok doing this move with my practice ball I give it a try with my shiny supa cool acrylic" (still be careful with it, it's still a heavy prop even if it isn't 4"). If you've got a garden I suggest to practice in it, if not, try a park, if no park is around, find a padded room.
when you'll start longer rolls like chest roll or other harder stuff, you might find a rythmic gymnastic ball usefull, or a half basketball.

That's it.
Thorn

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject:

No trouble at all! And you're questions are not stupid. ^_^ I haven't been doing this that long myself, but everyone here is really great and helpful and patient. This is an awesome hobby and you want to start out right.

Just remember to warm up before you practice so you don't strain your fingers. It can take days or weeks to heal. Trust me, I know. ^_^;;

Also, Jowze is totally right. Practice over grass or carpet until you get a reasonable proficiency. The first week I got my first acrylic, it got away from me and smacked into the pavement. >.< That is a truly awful noise and it cracked. I still use it as my 'stunt' ball, but it still hurt.

Jowze

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:

And you can hurt other stuff than the ball as well...
I hurt real bad my little sister once on her foot (not really my fault, she came right under my 4 ball clumsy pyramid ), smashed a lot of plates or cups and my big favourite : the sink of my bathroom...
Be careful
jessi2

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

Yes and its not like I dropped it in my boss's office and had to go under his desk to get it. ::shifty eyes::

Definite note taken. Grass good, anything else...baaad.

Well off to the pet shop to get some practice balls. Once again thankyou both.

cya later
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Knowledge Base Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: