ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
3 ball loops help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suicas

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: 3 ball loops help

I'm having huge trouble with 3 ball loops at the moment (the one where 3 balls spin separated in the same direction across both hands).

I can do 1 and 2 ball loops pretty smoothly, but holding/spinning 3 balls changes the shape of my hands enough that they end up bumpier in places.

Any tips?

Should both hands be pushed tight together where they meet, or should they be looser or even separated a bit?

Would having a gap between the little fingers help, or is it best to keep them touching?

Also, I'm having trouble with the bump in the middle at the base of my palms where my hands meet. The ball often either gets stuck here, or slows down as it goes up the bump, then speeds up as it goes down (plus it looks unsmooth with a bump).

Should I be moving my hands to compensate for this, or is there some other way to smooth this out?
lawrens

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject:

Hey Suicas!

Well I think the general statement and credo in cj applies to your problem:
SlooÖw everything down!!

You could take only one ball and do the 2-hand palm circle really slow...
Lets say 1 minute for a complete circle...
This sounds weird and boring, but you'll spot the weak points on your hands...and eventually get them smooth!

This one:
Quote:
Also, I'm having trouble with the bump in the middle at the base of my palms where my hands meet. The ball often either gets stuck here, or slows down as it goes up the bump, then speeds up as it goes down (plus it looks unsmooth with a bump).

...And this one too:
Quote:
I can do 1 and 2 ball loops pretty smoothly, but holding/spinning 3 balls changes the shape of my hands enough that they end up bumpier in places.

Quote:
Should both hands be pushed tight together where they meet, or should they be looser or even separated a bit? Would having a gap between the little fingers help, or is it best to keep them touching?

I think this is a case of personal choice, once you can do the move properly...
I like to let a space between my hands, as this gives some additional distance for the balls to travel...a larger circle.

Some others (shifty ?) lock their pinkies together, to gain better support I believe.

Quote:
Should I be moving my hands to compensate for this, or is there some other way to smooth this out?

Mmmh, moving your hands will end up isolating one of the sphere...in a hasardous, no-control manner...
Better aim toward a slow, ininterupted path of the balls...

Hope this help,

Best,

to all the coins I dropped...
sou

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject:

This trick and the 4 ball version came together for me at pretty much the same time. I started with pretty much the same problems as you're having, this is one time where I have to say that you need to feel out the solution. Just keep trying and, as Lawrens said, concentrate on going slow. This makes it easier to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Good luck, this is definitely a satisfying trick!

--Brine Child
suicas

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Thanks both of you, that's given me a few things to think about while I work on this
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Try thinking of it like this:

one ball in the middle, one ball at either side. Two balls at the back, one at the front/ one at the back, two at the front. Keep alternating which is at the front.

Practice shifting once, and holding it for a while. shift along one position and hold for a while.

Learn both ways, and learn FLAT. take your time slow and just holding in each position before you think about trying to smoothly rotate.

Hold your hands in a position like they are mirroring each other exactly. no crossing the fingers. don't hold one hand in front of the other, or higher.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: