ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
palm circles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdHughes

Location: Where darts are thrown at baloons and nothing is what it seems... the carnival.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject:

my point exactly.

I wouldn't really classify the revolving door as a palmspin. It's closer to a palmspin than aything else, but I consider it to be just a multiball manipulation. It's actually kind of a claymotion-palmspin hybrid, but I'm here to split atoms, not split hairs.

Do mysteries actually exist? Some say "maybe".
Others aren't so sure.
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

what exactly is the revolving door?
Adaidh

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject:

This is a link to Silver's website. If I did it right, It should be a gif. of a revolving door.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk/contactsite/vert4.html
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I consider palm spinning to be just a kind of (multi) ball manipulation. But avoiding any semantics, I'm curious, What exacty is claymotion? If you will, just give us some points that define/outline it. Where did you come across the term? Anyone else heard of this before, or have some info?

I keep thinking of claymation. But can't really see how that term would fit from what I think I understand of it.
EdHughes

Location: Where darts are thrown at baloons and nothing is what it seems... the carnival.

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject:

Claymotion, like you said earlier, is connected to cigar box manipulation, and as near as I can tell, it is defined by the use of pressure from other objects to keep an object suspended/and/or/isolated. The term is usually restricted to balls.

Others aren't so sure.
simply_inexpugnable

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject:

Maybe I have some weird washingtonian brand of lacrosse balls, but mine are pretty low friction. Hell, I can even do an enigma with them. Doesn't look good because they're matte and so small, but it's do-able. When I palmspin two or three of them (I only have three) they're in contact. I was palmspinning a couple satsumas (mandarin-type oranges) today, their size/friction made for nome cool manipulation, I could spin them around my fingers, etc. It seemed easier to tiger-claw them not because of their tackiness, but simply their size.
EdHughes

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject:

for enigmas and the like friction actually helps.

Others aren't so sure.
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I did some research into claymotion. It comes from a guy called Richard Clay, I think I know a couple of the things people described as the basic patterns. its a multiplex style. Here's a link to a description of what it is. http://www.jugglingdb.com/news/article.html?id=<19970825220000.SAA06136@ladder01.news.aol.com>
EdHughes

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 1:01 am    Post subject:

whoops... I think I've been using the wrong term. Now I'm not sure what I've been talking about.

Others aren't so sure.
simply_inexpugnable

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject:

Sigh. Happy memories. My aunt worked for Will Vinton's Calymation studio. My grandfather and grandmother have claymation-style models of their heads.
Drew not logged in

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

Revolving door. The technique is all palm spinning.
But ed I understand your differentiation as there is also an element of pressure balancing.

Its off topic I know, but I've got a feindish revolving door video clip, I'll post when i get home
Morhandir

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject:

Ed, I think what you're talking about is something I've heard called Kinetic Contact: multi-ball stuff (usually three) where you're not actually holding onto all the balls with your hands, but using the friction of the balls themselves to manipulate and hold them.

And a little bit more on claymotion: as I've seen it generally done (so far, and not having seen Clay himself) the balls tend to stay in a general line, similar to the way cigar boxes do, even when they're in the air. This means that if you're doing claymotion with spinnnable balls, at almost any point you can go into a whole slew of palm spinning tricks, and then equally smoothly go back to calymotion.
EdHughes

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject:

That sounds right. I was introduced to both styles at last summer's ija fest and I guess I got them mixed up.

Others aren't so sure.
Ryan
Ministry. Just like Colin
Site Admin

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject:

DREW! This thread begs for your revolving door clip!!!
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject:

yeah actually it does, drew!
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> The Isolation Chamber All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: