ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Practicing with metal ball

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0dd

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Practicing with metal ball

A bit wobbly.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/T0dd/videos/64/
Cybele

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:

nice isolations!

how long have you been cjing for?
T0dd

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I started in about mid-September.

I find the "squeeze-up" isolation hard to do with the metal ball because it is so light it doesn't sit down onto the hand as readily. But I can work on that. Some interesting fingertip moves are possible that would be difficult with a large acrylic, so it's a trade-off.

I'm thinking a 6" metal would be a bit heavier and possibly pretty striking to look at. I'll probably get one and try it, especially seeing how cheap they are. All these balls around the house are getting...weird.
Saulie

Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject:

I realy like the look of that ball... Thanks for the vid... Your Iso's are hundreds of times better than what I can do.

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
T0dd

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject:

[quote="Saulie"]I realy like the look of that ball... Thanks for the vid... Your Iso's are hundreds of times better than what I can do.[/quote]

I seriously doubt that they're that good, but thanks. I wonder if the various metal gazing globes are all about the same. There are some things that are pretty much impossible with that ball, such as the thumb lift. It's too big and the surface is too slippery. I haven't tried doing any arm or body rolls yet, but I imagine that anyone who has made any progress with those would find this ball easy to work with, because it's so light.

Unfortunately, the surface of the ball isn't as pristine as a clear acrylic, so the rotation is occasionally obvious.
Loves Christmas Day
(LCD)

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Good video!

I've been playing with those "one hand flat, other hand using fingertips" moves lots lately. They can be moved around in a really nice way, but I find if I have any stickiness to my fingers they lose their beauty rapidly...

You are coming on in leaps and bounds, keep up the good work.

OCCJD has definitely struck. Excellent...
cant_think_of_a_name

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've been playing with those "one hand flat, other hand using fingertips" moves lots lately. They can be moved around in a really nice way, but I find if I have any stickiness to my fingers they lose their beauty rapidly...

I've never seen them before but I like!
T0dd

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Loves Christmas Day"]
I've been playing with those "one hand flat, other hand using fingertips" moves lots lately. They can be moved around in a really nice way, but I find if I have any stickiness to my fingers they lose their beauty rapidly...[/quote]

I hadn't seen this move before, but it seemed natural with the metal ball, which just has a slipperiness to it that helps with that sort of move. And there's another move that I've been trying--I'll get around to another video at some point--a one-hand iso, but not spinning. I just hold the ball in one hand and open and close my fingers, moving my hand beneath the ball to isolate it. The lightness and slickness of the ball makes this easy; I've tried it with an acrylic and it doesn't work so well.

Quote:

You are coming on in leaps and bounds, keep up the good work.

OCCJD has definitely struck. Excellent...

It has struck indeed. For whatever reason, I feel very comfortable with that ball, and consequently I do more stuff with it. The walking iso is poor, because the lightness of the ball makes bounces more obvious. Maybe I can smooth that out.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I hadn't seen that move either, I really like it! So much infact, that I think I'm going to steal it.... Pirate, what can I say? Yeah, some iso's can be hard with a metal one, that's what I use a lot. It tried to fly off my fingers alot at first, but you get used to it. One nice thing, if you get iso's smooth with that ball then try a 4" acrylic, they're not going to move at all... Oh, I found almost by accident that hand sanitizer cleans fingerprints and such off the metal ones very well, since there's alchohol in it, keeps them nice and shiny, and its cheap. Or you could grab a handful of the sanitized napkins from a restaurant... o.0 *note-stealing is bad, and Cannonball James does not condone such activities, and any choice by any party to engage in such activities is done solely by their own discretion, and Cannonball will accept no responsibility for the consequences.*
T0dd

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject:

[quote="Cannonballjames"]I hadn't seen that move either, I really like it! So much infact, that I think I'm going to steal it.... Pirate, what can I say? Yeah, some iso's can be hard with a metal one, that's what I use a lot. It tried to fly off my fingers alot at first, but you get used to it. One nice thing, if you get iso's smooth with that ball then try a 4" acrylic, they're not going to move at all... Oh, I found almost by accident that hand sanitizer cleans fingerprints and such off the metal ones very well, since there's alchohol in it, keeps them nice and shiny, and its cheap.[/quote]

A spritz of Windex and a wipe with a paper towel shines that baby up real good. And if you don't happen to get to a restaurant with the wipes, the sealed lens wipes for eyeglasses work very well.

Have you tried a 6" metal?
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject:

cant_think_of_a_name wrote:
Quote:

I've never seen them before but I like!

(why does he have to look angry?)
Illumilatte

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

I like it keep it up!

Also I have seen the isolation you are talking about before...squeezing the ball with one hand. Twisthem has that in one of his videos with an acrylic, but he's using gloves with it, so that lets it slide easier I believe. It looks good, so work on it
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I've got a 6" metal that I use sometimes for practicing new body rolls, but its thinner walled and dents really easily when I drop it on concrete. I've got some new metal ones that should be arriving any day now, some different colors including one of the rainbow/color changing ones, whatever they're called... I'm anxious to see how that one looks.
T0dd

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Cannonballjames"]I've got a 6" metal that I use sometimes for practicing new body rolls, but its thinner walled and dents really easily when I drop it on concrete. I've got some new metal ones that should be arriving any day now, some different colors including one of the rainbow/color changing ones, whatever they're called... I'm anxious to see how that one looks.[/quote]

I hope you give a full report when you get them! I was thinking that the non-uniform color property of the rainbow balls would make the rotation of the ball too obvious, but maybe not.

Now that I think about it, the thickness of the metal of the 6" ball may be the same as the 4" ball, but structurally it would be weaker. I also wonder if visually the 6" ball might present too much surface area to the eye, with more possibility of slight irregularities to act as "tell" marks.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:

In the case of mine, the 6" is just thinner. They're from 2 different companies, and my 6" and 4" are identical weight, if anything the 4" might even me a tad heavier. I've played with 6" ones that were the same construction as my 4", and they're quite a bit heavier than mine is (respective to their already light weight, of course...) Yeah, I'm uncertain about the rainbowness, but it's supposed to be the sort of thing that the color changes with light and angle, so I'm hoping it will just sort of look like a wierd swirling floating mystical ball sort of thing...

As far as tell marks on the 6", the one that I have in my showcase for sale you wouldn't be able to tell unless someone is practically on your toes. It's pretty smooth and uniform, just not durable against drops on hard surfaces. It has a great look for body rolls especially at a distance; I've seen videos of people using them outdoors shot from a ways off, and you can see the ball floating around really well, moreso than a smaller one would show up. But for closeup stuff, there's definitely better options in my opinion. Still, I like it for learning.

I'll definitely shoot some footage of the new spheres though when I get them. Hopefully they'll show up today!
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Videos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: