ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Help with palm spin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xdavidx

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Help with palm spin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSYrMbLnSQ

this is clearly a bad bad palm spin. My main concern is, if you notice my hand not only goes in a circle but moves up and down. Any ideas on how to keep myself from doing this?
Illumilatte

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm having similar problems. I think the solution everyone is going to tell you is: Slow down. ;-P

Oh, also work on your unisolated palm circle. The smoother I get that I begin getting a little bit closer to a better isolated one. Basically I work on making the ball go around in a circle on my hand without having to move my hand to keep it from flying off. It helps when I try isolating it.
xdavidx

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I have the same problem with the unisolated palm spin. It seems that when the ball gets to my fingers and moves through them is when the hand rises up. Not sure why, maybe it's an unconscious thing, move it up to keep it from flying off the ends of the finger, move it down when it comes around the palm to keep it from rolling down my arm.
su2po

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

maybe try a heavier ball, you'll be able to feel it more and it will be easier to slow down.
xdavidx

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject:

[quote="su2po"]maybe try a heavier ball, you'll be able to feel it more and it will be easier to slow down. [/quote]

That's what I was thinking. I'd love to get a 4" acrylic for Christmas. Right now I have two 3" acrylics and a 4" stageball.
Somnilocus

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject:

I actually found this really easy to learn... I started with a 4" acrylic, the size and weight makes it easier. You should be able to do a regular palm spin (only using your fingers to move the ball, really.. your hand stays in place; rest your arm on your lap and let your hand fall off so that you don't move) first. When I first started trying to isolate it, I did it in front of a mirror, I held it in front of me, picked a point that I would try to keep the ball level with (anything.. like a lamp, a poster...), and closed one eye... closing one eye really helped, as you no longer have two contrasting "points of view."

And you're going rather fast... slow down. ;P

Edit -- at about 3:30 on this vid: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-382OlVgs Briney shows palm spinning.. the dif between regular and isos. You're doing more of an iso, need to stop moving your hands so much
Cannonballjames

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

try not to make such big hand movements at first. I learned to roll the sphere just in the palm of my hands in the beginning and got that isolated, then gradually got it farther and farther out on my fingers. If you aren't already, practice infront of a mirror. Also, try not looking AT the sphere, look past it at the floor or something, or even better, try to look through it at a patterned surface so you can see if the image you see changes. Focus on that instead of watching the sphere itself. And yes... slow down I actually learned with a 2.5" acrylic first. Yes, a 4" is a lot easier, but I personally don't recommend using that to learn, because you may end up with a great iso with a 4", but if you do some smaller multisphere work and want to toss in a single ball palmspin, it will be all over the place. Get a solid iso on a small ball, and then when you move to a bigger one it will feel like you're cheating, it will be so easy. If you can keep a 2.5" or 3" really good, stick a 4" on your hand and it will be frozen in space. That's my advise at least.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject:

My advice...buy 'multiball contact' and read the chapter dedicated to teaching this move.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> The Isolation Chamber All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: