ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Gone all haywire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
he4rty

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Gone all haywire

Thought I'd have a go at making a video, but as soon as I turn the camera on, all the moves are useless, anyone else have this problem first time you tried videoing yourself.
cant_think_of_a_name

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Yes

nuff said really!
ljcoombes

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Instead of making a video for us, try making one for yourself first. Basically, just film yourself in a practice session. This will have two benefits. First, it gives you a chance to analyze your CJ and see what you are doing well, and what needs work. Second, it gives you practice at performing in front of the camera.

After you have done that a few times, film a small performance. Again, remember it doesn't have to be for us. You can film for yourself. Do it a few times, work out the kinks. And by the time you are happy with it, guess what? You have a video to share with us and don't even have to feel nervous while making it! That's the glory of technology! Filming over and over doesn't cost anything, these days. You don't like it? Film over it! You don't even waste film!
silver

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject:

does this mean we get a new lance vid too?
ljcoombes

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject:

[quote="silver"]does this mean we get a new lance vid too?[/quote]

What? The 20 seconds on the CJ2 DVD and the crappy Lodi video weren't enough?! Haha.

As for a new performance video... I'm still waiting for one myself!

The good news, though, is that I have a video camera on order, which should be here any day! I'd like to get video of a good show, but I don't currently have anything scheduled until March. Bleh. Perhaps I'll just take my camera out and set it on a tripod and video myself a bit that way. I need to get some video of my umbrella juggling, too. I need to finish building a routine out of that stuff!
Saulie

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject:

All my vids are for myself. Its my music, it my movements. Its for me. I do take critisism from it fine (lift your arm here, try one of these, great transition, do something with your other arm, what is with the cats? ....Stuff like that).

One day I may put out a performance video. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon. :-p
I want to get the 2b opposing chestroll down first and the 2b skip-to-ma-lou.

Vid for yourself, not for anyone else. This is fun, keep it fun.

saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
aramis

Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2024 2:28 am    Post subject:

As a magician, I've been recording videos for years to get comments from my peers. It is very hard at first because a camera makes you self conscious. You also have to worry about staying in frame, which requires that you divert part of your attention to the monitor (unless you have a cameraman).

As everyone said, the best thing is to not record videos for other people. Don't try to impress anyone, just hit record, start a song, and follow the ball's lead. Soon enough you'll forget all about the camera, and your moves will be mint again. After having filmed myself for hours every day, I don't really care anymore that the camera is there.

I guess this next thing is sort of besides the point of this thread, but since I mentioned music, I think the responsible thing is to add the following. If you're going to use music in a video that you will broadcast on youtube or whatever media, remember to use creative commons music and to leave credits to the artist. You can find a vast selection of creative commons music at www.download.com.
su2po

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

i generaly only use video to watch myself as athird person so i can see what everyone else sees.i find making videos is perfect for seeing what your doing wrong, this is probably why you didnt like yours, you could see all your mistakes more clearly but it means you now know what needs polishing so when you do decide on your finished piece your skill level will have advanced and youll have a cool vid to show people, yay =D
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: