ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
giving meaning to a routine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: giving meaning to a routine

Hey guys,

Since CJC this year i'm working on a cube routine. I have an acrylic cube that is actually two half cubes, i can manipulate them apart and together.
It's a lot of fun and i have invented a bunch of moves. But i'm struggling to create a routine of it.
I mean, i can just go and link moves together. But i want more than that. Maybe tell a story or something, without saying a word.

Now people are like "Oh, nice tricks with a cube".
But i want more, i want to show my manipulation with a REASON, not just to show them. I want to tell a story, i want the routine to have meaning.
I hope you guys see what i mean.

Do you have any idea what i can do? Some tips or experiences?
Thanks,

IMP
P.s. the reason i didn't post here as much was because i was very busy with school. Of course i didn't quit juggling you silly
Thorn

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject:

Well...I'm not very experienced, and have never used cubes at all, but have you considered illustrating something like the Mandelbrot Set? Or some other mathematical construction that is lovely? Or maybe the building of something? I dunno.These may be lame ideas.

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
nagini

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject:

i think it's interesting,

but, being honest, i really didn't understood exactly what you're talking about...

why don't you make a video?
Royal

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject:

It's amazing how interesting people will find just a normal story if you use your skills to enhance. Try seeing if you can match any of your cubular skillage to just a normal story about something that happened to you.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject:

find a good boxy or defined techno song that has a musical "battle going" like one phrase thats repeated, and then another phrases that ansawers luoder, and make a routine to it have the cubes diffeerent colors, like black and white, have each cube assiagned to the differnt sections of music, have them battle and them fnialy come together as one!!
Royal

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Arnar wrote:
find a good boxy or defined techno song that has a musical "battle going" like one phrase thats repeated, and then another phrases that ansawers luoder, and make a routine to it have the cubes diffeerent colors, like black and white, have each cube assiagned to the differnt sections of music, have them battle and them fnialy come together as one!!

How epic!
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Arnar, sounds awesome. It's exactly what i mean. Too bad i can't use it, since the two half boxes are clear, and i don't want to color 'em. It would ruin some of the isolation parts

I have a vague idea in mind now, but i don't want to post it up yet. I want to expand it a little.... Please keep the ideas and tips coming guys!
So far i really like this topic!

IMP
Saulie

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Soduku!

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
mcp

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject:

just my opinionsssssss:

Who are you? Are you just the person standing behind the cube manipulation, or are you part of the story?

Who are the cubes? Are they people (battling) are they concepts, parts of your personality, a way to discuss the impact of a consumerist lifestyle on the environment? Do they like each other, hate each other, fight each other, combine forces to defeat world peace, or go on a journey together?

Whats the story? Beginning, middle and end etc. Do the characters / concepts develop? Does it have a resolution?

In the end, if the theme / story / characters don't mean anything to you, neither will the routine, except as a finely crafted piece of technical juggling. The more of yourself you put into it, the more rewarding it will be.

That's my opinions... anyway, pretentious and stupid sounding, pick one, but I thinks they be true.
Aimee

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject:

Do you have a video somewhere of this kind of thing - cube manipulation and all? I can't even begin to imagine what it might look like.
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

MCP, you get where i come from. I don't want it to be a finely crafted piece of technical juggling but more.... Man, you got me thinking. Some great points you made there.

Aimee, just wait for the christmas tree There migth be something under it this year that shows it...
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

Meg, Good post

Nothing to add here.

Other than maybe think about the way that certain moves make you feel. That way, you can select the moves you do by tying in them in with your overall theme, and everything makes sense.

Aimee: Ryan has appeared in a video or two doing some Cube Manipulations. Of the top of my head I remember the 'New objectives' series having some Cube, along with a video of Ryan at Bristol, playing with a cube and a ball. Ryan also does a lot of Box & Ball stuff. Granted, that's only about three minutes of footage, if that, but should give you some idea of what it's all about, and maybe light a spark of inspiration in you

Should be some

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
Zoc

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject:

dueling banjos?
</silly-attempt-to-inject-humor>
daydream
MoM Mobsta

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 12:09 am    Post subject:

Ryan's 'Instinct' video has some small amounts of cube stuff, and he has considered this factor deeply. I would make a video and show it to him to trade ideas if I were you.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: