ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
[ KB ] 4b Snake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkbaker
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: [ KB ] 4b Snake

Category: 4 Ball
Type: 4 Ball

Article Name: 4b Snake
Author: rkbaker
Description: chico 2000-10-11

>>Read Full Article
Hangin' Chad

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I don't get it. Perhaps it is easy and I'm making some big thing of it in my mind so I'm confusing myself. The snake's movement...is it like half palmspins or just turning the hands a bit? When I've tried this my backhalf of the snake (right hand) is out of tune with the rest. Could anyone explain this a little to me? Thanks in advance. It looks very nice.
Drew

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

Phhhheeeoooww.

Nah, I wouldn't have had a chance of learning it from that video clip.
eergh.
Ok, I'm working on a lesson that will explain them, but it wont be ready for a couple of months
I am a bit busy at the moment
Snakes are THE best part of multiball contact, although you wouldn't get that impression from that clip!!

Smiles
Drew
Ryan
Ministry. Just like Colin
Site Admin

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject:

I'll second what Drew is saying.

Snakes are a major part of 4ball contact. Bigger than pyramids, in my opinion.

This video from chico doesn't do them justice. Chico is simply wiggling balls around to make them look like a snake.

Rather than simply sit here and suggest some vauge notion of what snakes can/should be, here is a description of what I aim for in snakes. This should give you some ideas to play with...

(a) defined paths. Imagine a flat plane in front of you. a snake can move forwards, sideways, etc... kind of like in that game... SNAKE! (or the light cycles from Tron) The big issue here is corners. As the snake moves around a corner, each ball should travel throught the same arch/curve as the next. Think 'liquid' (as in the hand movement). Chico isn't defining paths.. he is just wobbling a snake.

(b) tempo. Chico does this allright. read up on liquid - "flow"

(c) Dimensional -= flat snakes get boring after a while. Learn snakes of a Vertical plane, and suddenly they will become three dimensional, running on complex tracks.

(d) splits - distance between snake segments. Good snakes run along rails... This helps to intensify the illusion (again.. read up on Liquid... this is a key) Drew... i need to show you this.

(e) Helixes.Rather than run snakes flat, with some clever manipulation, they can be run in corkscrew spirals.

(f) Digital (right angles) digital snakes, rather than run at an even tempo, jump from position to position and lock at each step. The front ball leads, and with each jump, the balls behind hop up and take the exact position of the ball in front. Digital snakes are only fun when the snake makes complex movements... one step forwards, one step to the right, then a shift upwards, etc. Make a complex path. tick, tick, tick, tick,

(g) Isolation. You see, this is really the key to ALL of this. Isolation is the fundamental of all snake movment. Whether it is isolating the corners of rails, isolating snake segments during ripples and separations (this leads to worms, ropes, etc) Isolating along flat planes and vertical planes, its ALL derived from the same idea.
This is why, on reflective.net, the same feedback given to every new dancer is 'work on isolations more' BECASUE THEY ARE THE KEY TO ALL MOVEMENT. Otherwise it is just uncontrolled ball wobbling, which isn't very nice to watch.

<phew>
One of those... crawl out of bed... check email on the way to making a cup of tea... notice a new thread on .org, "launch into morning rant" posts.
And I still haven't covered all the snake stuff.
Point is.. please please please you newbies. Dont look at this vid and think that this is all that snakes can be. Snakes are the biggest area of 4ball at the moment.

Pyramids suffer in comparison to good snakes.
Illusion beats technical.

r.isolationist.

Last edited by Ryan on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject:

*stumbles out of bed..... makes cup of tea and reads* thanks for that dark and evil snake post Ryan
poupoutchka

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: vlad

I find what you wrote very interesting !!! some doors are open now for working my snake better...the snake is so pure !!! I love it !
you said it can transform in worms...that gave me lot of ideas...thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Ryan wrote:
Point is.. please please please you newbies. Dont look at this vid and think that this is all that snakes can be. Snakes the biggest area of 4ball at the moment.

r.isolationist.

With this in mind I really want to devote some time to snakes so I was wondering if there was any up to date info, maybe some clips to peruse? For the 'biggest area of 4ball' there seems to be a disappointing amount of info available.

Thanks for the tips anyway though, it will be a decent starting point it least.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

^ That was me by the way.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Loco Dantes

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject:

There is some snake action in which ryan described in a video of marco by mot

http://www.motsplace.com/storagex/marcovondel.wmv

It doesnt exactly inspire me, but it isnt a bad lil trick
Ryan
Site Admin

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:

no... thats not quite right,
imagine that, but with marco isolating all the corners and turns, so that the snake moved more like a rollercoaster along a defined path.
then, maybe
chuck in a helix or two and it would be nice,
Just wait for Drews snake routine, ok?
r
marco

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject:

yeah i was verry dissapointed when I saw myself back in that vid... I thought I was a lot better with snakes. I'm back to relearning the snake again after seeing that.

marco
Imaginary Miny Prodigy
thinks inside the box

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:

will drew release his snake routine in a video on the internet, or will be at "in isolation" or somewhere else? It sound's really nice.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Imperistan wrote:
will drew release his snake routine in a video on the internet, or will be at "in isolation" or somewhere else? It sound's really nice.

Yeah, how long do we have to hold out for this? Sounds like it's going to be awesome...and so the hopes start being raised

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Ryan
Site Admin

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Soon!

<runs across room into padded wall>
<Screams at the ceiling>
<passes out>
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Knowledge Base Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: