ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
sizes for palm spinning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
envy

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: sizes for palm spinning

ok.. i have lost my 3" ball and started going crazy and i've started palm spinning with these 3 itty bitty balls.. ya know.. the little jingly ones that have ying yangs on them.. and its really fun! and im looking for a good size to seriously do..this. do i.. measure my hands? do hands have sizes? um. oh. once i find the right size balls i dont know what would be right to pay for them.. i have a really cheap budget.. i need a little help
EdHughes

Location: Where darts are thrown at baloons and nothing is what it seems... the carnival.

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I use 2.5 inch acrylics for palmspinning, and my hands are average-smallish for a grown man. 3" balls are my upper limit for palmspinning. I wouldn't recommend them unless your hands are freaky big. I would go with 2.5", not only because you can more comfortably manipulate a slightly smaller ball, but they are also MUCH cheaper that 3 inchers, especially if you want to invest in four or eight of them.

Do mysteries actually exist? Some say "maybe".
Others aren't so sure.
marco

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject:

the rules I use in selecting palmspin sizes;
'If you can hold them in your hand, then you can also spin them'.
and
'you'll eventually want the largest size that will fit in your hand, becouse that gives the audience a nicer view'.
and
'learn with what you'll be performing with', (or if you dont want to perform,. learn with what you want to show off with).

So it depends on what number of balls you want to spin. If you think that a 4 stack pyramide is your max of balls in one hand that you'l ever want to spin. Then pick the larges size of ball of wich you can still hold a 3 ball base in one hand.

marco

Ps. I started with a 2.75" for multi ball and it took me one season to figure out that I wanted bigger ones. I'm now comfortable with 3" (and sold the old 2.5-ers to other biginner cj-ers). 3" also somehow seems to be the most used size for palmspinning here in europe.
Colin
It's Fruit of the Loom

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

You can measure your hands. Measure the base of the palm at the wrist to the tip of the middle finger. And measure how wide your hand is at the base of the fingers.

Post up what they are. Then maybe we could give a actual size suggestion.
rich

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: I don't agree with Marco

So Marco and lots of people say if you can hold them you can spin them. Yep but they can also overwork your hands and hurt them if you are not careful.
I like to start small and work my way up.
I use everything from 1.5" to 3" but I prefer 73mm.
That is my favorite size 73mm.

Also you can not do very advanced things with really big ones to start in my opinion. So Marco or anyone that uses 3"ers can you do 2 upside down.
Back of the hand might be the exception cuz I find a slightly larger size 2.5" to 2.75" makes my learning go okay. By learning I mean a slow road leading to nowhere right now.
Also doing 4 flat means you need to be able to hold 4 in your hand.
Or 5 flat
Or 6 flat with some on top and some on top of that.

SO

yes larger is better for performing. BUT it really depends on what direction you want to go in.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Knowledge Base Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: