ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Frosty hands
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Step

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Frosty hands

CJ with cold hands sucks. You can't feel the ball, you can't move your hands properly, and it hurts like hell when you bump your knuckles. I tried and failed (miserably) to use these puffy gloves I have. Any suggestions for a good set of gloves for CJ? its so sad to have to move indoors. Winter's a comin... for those in the northern hemisphere. Hey, do we have anyone from the southern hemisphere here?

GO RED SOX!!

Tim
Hathor

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 2:33 am    Post subject:

I feel your pain. I haven't gone through a winter since i started cjing....but i'm gonna have to start dealing wit it soon as well....

I'm guessing fairly thin fingerless gloves of some sort would probably be as good as it gets. that or really really thin gloves with full fingers.

::shivers::

oh, and GO FUCKING RED SOX
Fuero

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject:

I used to gig outdoors with my band and a little trick to keep my fingers flex and warm before playing was to put my hands in my pockets and tap with my fingers. It really works.
gaffelkanel

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject:

i suggest that u all have a vacation in norway during winter time. then ull understand that u havent got anything to say...lol..just kiddin...but i really dont understand how u can cj with gloves. if ur not really good, at least.
Cameron

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject:

I need to actualy test this but I think silk glove liners might work although you might want 2 pair on at a time so that you have a little more warm air traped but there thin enough they shouldnt really get in the way even with 2 pair on and there semi warm might help a bit at least I had some around here somewhere but havent tried them in the cold they are fine in the warm though i can do everything just the same only cant feel the ball as well.. but its not to bad...
Matte

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject:

Wimps. It only hurts for the first half hour or so, then your balls and your fingers warm up. Then don't stop moving because as soon as you do, all the blood will realise that it should really be somewhere other than your extremities and your fingers will drop off.

No really, I read it in a book somewhere...

-=Matte=-
marco

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject:

Actually thats true,..
I'm a land surveyor and it once was minus 15 degrees here (the instrument told me) and after that damn cold first 30 min, lasted 45 for me though , i finally got warmish. Then ofcourse dont go inside for lunch or you'll have to get through it all again. There is one side effect though,.. although it feels warm enough,.. i stil could hardly move my fingers. I guess the trick wont work well enough for CJ.

marco
newman

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I hate trying to CJ with cold fingers!!! After reading all this talk about gloves, I just had to try it. At first it was very wierd, but after a while, (like 5 min) it got easier. Now I'm considering working gloves in to CJ more often. Somehow it just seemed to look cooler. Admittedly, you don't feel the ball as much, but on the positive side, the fuzzy-ness of my gloves gave me a bit more traction and cushion in my movements. Like honestly my back to back passes are pretty sketchy at times, but with the gloves on it actually got easier. So i say go for the gloves and just practice till its comfy. Plus after you take the gloves off and go bare handed again, it feels so wierd/cool!

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Cameron wrote:
I need to actualy test this but I think silk glove liners might work although you might want 2 pair on at a time so that you have a little more warm air traped but there thin enough they shouldnt really get in the way even with 2 pair on and there semi warm might help a bit at least I had some around here somewhere but havent tried them in the cold they are fine in the warm though i can do everything just the same only cant feel the ball as well.. but its not to bad...

sorry to nitpick cameron, but any chance you could try to use some punctuation? the endless sentence of your whole post drives me nuts. adding a period of twwo would make your posts far more readable.
Hathor

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject:

6damn my not logging in....that was me...

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject:

Hathor wrote:
6damn my not logging in....that was me...

those who live in glass houses.....
Cameron

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject:

Im sorry Hathor I will try harder to puncuate. I just get thinking and start typeing, and the puctuation disapears....
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject:

was wondering the same thing about gloves... I'm doing street performing usually in blocks of like 4 hours. I can single ball cj with cold hands, but not multisphere. Fingers wont spin. Right now I'm using a pair of stretch knit gloves with little rubberish bumps on the outside. Knit is REALLY slippery though, and really, not all that much warmer than none. I was thinking something like driving gloves, since the leather isn't so slippery, so it can grip the wheel, but they're still thin enough that I would think there should still be decent ball feel, and might even be ok for multisphere work. Any input/suggestions/ideas greatly appreciated. My fingers thank you.
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject:

My sister's riding gloves work well... equestrian gloves. Nice and thin, smooth, flexible, and have a nice grip. Methinks they use Thinsulate...
Aimee

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject:

How about those fingerless pickpocket gloves all the cool kidz are wearing? They might not help your contact juggling but they will make you look like a Dickensian street urchin, so maybe people will take pity and give you money anyway.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: