ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
The Christmas Explosion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spazzle

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: The Christmas Explosion

Holey frickin moley, im feeling thankful to be alive this Christmas!

Thought u might wanna hear how messed up this is...

I live in a block of 4 flats, me and my partner rent the top 2 and he had a new kitchen fitted by the council last week. When the builders left it was time to go and turn on the gas on the outside meter and light the blow heating system in the flat to warm up the place. Just before going down to do it my partner suggested trying to get british gas to give him quarterly billing again (they didnt agree last time). He rang - they flukishly agreed this time and said a guy would come out to switch him over on the 21st. Well, we thought no sense putting money in the meter and used electric fires until the guy came. He arrived yesterday and when he was down there noticed that strangely when he turned it on the gas was flowing fast even though nothing was on upstairs. He concluded a gas leak and rang Transco right away. That guy discovered that the kitchen builders had left a completely open gas pipe under the kitchen floor!! He flat out refused to sign an incident report because he said it was too serious and someone is in a massive amount of trouble and he didnt want to be involved. Anyway - the council came out right away and revealed to us and our neighbours from downstairs that the open pipe was flowing into the cavity space under the floor, which in turn links to EVERY SINGLE wall in the block of flats. He said had my partner of lit the gas heater (something we would of done straight away) the entire building would have blown up from the inside out and the explosion would have been HUGE, so big it would have been a main headline on the national news. Of course we'd all be dead as well. The only reason im not dead right now in a huge fireball is a strange set of flukes that led to the discovery of the open pipe by a professional....

Im outraged - I want somebody to get an ass kicking about this! What should we do? Where should we phone? Any ideas?

Im pleased to be alive though!
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject:

woah...that's truly truly insane! Although the laws of universal comedy/tragedy suggest that the explosion would happen when you set the brandy butter alight.

Nice work on not dying...this is always good. Someone must be held responsible make 'em pay Spazzle. Make 'em all pay.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
dirtyballs

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject:

i second that, congrats on not dying.

good luck finding the culprit
Thorn

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

Oh my god...I'm so glad you and your partner (and everyone in the building) are still with us. Wow...the magnitude of the possible tragedy just boggles the mind. O.O;;

I hope you both have a safe christmas.

http://thornnuminous.livejournal.com/
silver

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject:

oops.
citizens advice bureau will probably be a good place to start.
corgi will have something to say on the matter as well.
of course, the company that fitted the kitchen have somebody(ies) to fire as well. Still, rather them than you.
nearly dieing is always a great way of feeling alive.
Silver (who had far too many close shaves in the car today)
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject:

*high five*
you beat murpheys law!!!
Spazzle

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Ill give CAB a ring after christmas for sure. Apparently just turning a switch could have blown us all up - im betting it would have been turning on the fairy lights

Makes me think about chaos theory really because technically the credit check pass to go to quarterly billing was a mistake - hes never before passed one and truely shouldn't of this time, it was bizarre and shocked us. Somebody making a mistake with a credit check saved at least 5 lives (well 10 including my furry babbies!) - imagine what massive life changing things you influence throughout the day without ever realising....
daisylou

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Bloody hell!! I am very happy for the series of flukey coincidences that kept you with us girl!

I had a similar situation with flukey things making a situation ok. Though mine wasn't life threatening. In the summer I broke down (well my car tyre blew up) on a journey from Pembrokeshire to N.Wales. I didnt have my RAC membership card with me but bizarrely that morning my mum had text me the number. We also werent on the road we thought we were on, but 5 mins after breaking down a car stopped to admire the view (as we had done) and told us where we actually were. No other cars stopped in the entire 2 and a half hours we were stranded after that. Despite being in the middle of a National Park we all had mobile signal. And it was only because of this that we could get vehicle support to find us. Otherwise we wouldnt have had a clue what to do, on some minor B road in middle of Wales.

Dude, I am sooooo glad you went quarterly!!! HUGS xxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Thats pretty crazy as well Daisy - its strange when it happens isnt it, like a guardian angel is at work.

Thanks for that Corgi mention Silver - just filed a complaint to them and they're going to send someone out to inspect the flat after christmas.

Even though I know the gas is turned off on my partners meter i still feel really nervous in the flats, i keep thinking but what if the seals come loose and right now the walls and floors are filled with gas. As i sit here right now I keep looking at the walls really uneasily

Just imagine going to switch off your light and ....BOOM.... game over.
daisylou

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject:

ring transco and speak to an advisor for reassurance? If it's not safe find a friend's place to stay over! best safe than sorry spazzle my fairy princess love ya xxxx

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Scary stuff. Thank god you're all still ok.
magicleeroy

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure this saga will make you enjoy christmas even more. So now the question of fate arises, many people are belivers in being in control of their own destiny, but stories like this really make you wonder.

Congrats on the not getting blown up and have a fantastic Xmas!!
paradox
The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2024 8:55 pm    Post subject:

good thing neither of you smoke. so much as a spark and there would have been one less yellow smiley in this sea of blue frownies
Fraxture

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject:

Eeps, a gas leak is one of my greatest fear for me and my family.

It is wonderful all is well.
Spazzle

Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject:

I do feel like leaving actually, until its fixed anyway. Every single time I turn something on in the flat I faintly expect a searing painful death! Its silliness I know but all our trust right now is in a little mustached man from the council who promised he shut down the meter - they did nothing to seal the pipe under the floor. My partner wont leave though and if he and my cats are all going to the big party in the sky im sure as hell going with them!

Wow, how somber for Christmas eve! Thanks for the help and nice comments guys and gals xxx
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Waste products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: