ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
I bought my first acrylic!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TutteSka

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: I bought my first acrylic!!

Yay!

Im having a lil problems with the weight, i've been doing cj with a light stage ball and the change is hard..

Well, beside making you know these huge and marvelous news i have to ask a little ques' ..

I was trying some new tricks with my new ball and it fell and hit the wall (only a little hit) and it scratched a bit. I do not have a polishing machine or an acrylic polisher (the product) and tonight i have to show the ball to some ... important person .. well:

is there a cheap and easy way to clear that scratch quickly?

thank you, people!
tska.
xdavidx

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject:

I stopped playing with my acrylics for this very reason. I tried several ways to get rid of the scratches and never found a good way to get rid of them without some kind of polish.
(Forged Youth)

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Well.. what color is your acrylic?
Caver

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reality check!

The fact is, that if you use your acrylics for anything other than palm spinning, or pure decoration, your acrylics will get scratched.

There is no quick and easy way of dealing with day to day scratches.

I recommend that anyone other than a professional performer who can afford fresh balls for each performance, the first thing to do with a new acrylic, is to go outside, on concrete, and drop the ball from shoulder height.

This simple act, will get the issue out of the way.

It will happen, deal with it. Enjoy.

Pickup, drop, repeat.

Effin Meta-crawlers have found me
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, protect the acrylic. My first 100m took 6 months before it got any kind of scratch and even now it's not too noticeable. I've heard LCD has had the same props for years now and they're still shiny and nice. Practice on grass (insert lazy street performer joke about acid here) or make a little padded zone, we need to lose this notion that purposefully breaking your props is good.

If I buy a new club I don't scrub it on concrete until the shine goes...nor should you with acrylics.

Respect your props, they'll be your friends that way.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
FireMage

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject:

concur, i have often tried to break in my animals by tossing them against the wall. and often after a while they seem to just shy away. or at the very least people dont find my mangled cats very appealing. As is the same with your acrylics. People like brand new, baby fresh stuff. Not used, broken kitties. so be nice to your spheres.
Spherical Russell

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject:

Yep, ive got to side with the 'keep your acrylics shiny' party

At the moment for me its stage balls for learning new tricks, acrylics for polishing the old...mostly

Apparently Novus scratch remover is good for acrylics but haven't used it myself

The problem seems to arise in that it is not much fun to have a play and be constantly worried about dropping and scratching, but playing with acrylics just looks so special

Tough one...
Kingsid3

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject:

Thooth paste is the way forward, you can use it to clean and polish most things, do it on my ball, just get some on your finger and rub away and then wash with water afterwards
StreetMage

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't use acrylics yet because I don't own one, but I always practice on carpet just to get in the habit. All the floors in my house are hardwood except for the living room, which is carpeted. Hardwood doesn't really seem like it would do much damage to an acrylic ball, but I'm going to practice on the carpet just to make sure.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: