ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Is it cheating???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustDance

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Is it cheating???

So I've been trying to get accustomed to balancing a ball on my head and when I'm wearing a bandanna I can balance it for quite some time, but on just my hair not so good that is to say not really at all. I pretty much wear a bandanna all the time though... Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on wearing a bandanna as a balancing aid.

I do realize that in the long run I'm just robbing myself of skill...

What do u think?
su-nami

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject:

any practice is good practice in my oppinion, it could help you with your posture.
xdavidx

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject:

It depends. When you perform are you going to wear the bandana?
FireMage

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject:

yeah, all clothing is technically a prop anyway. So if you plan on performing with a bandana then it would be silly to practice without(kinda). unless you plan on doing it with out the bandana, then you would have to practice both probably. This goes for collared or long sleeve shirts as well. you have to be able to perform in your clothing or costume of choice.

dan
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I'd say almost certainly cheating yes, but then I feel as though I'm cheating if my hair grows more than a cm in length. Bit of a head stall purist it has to be said.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
Kerry

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2024 3:40 am    Post subject:

If you wanna practice outside and do head stalls...for God's sake: wear that bandana!
(I've managed to burn my hair before when practicing in the garden)
kerry(at)contactjuggling . org
http://www.myspace.com/puka_gruagach
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject:

If you have long hair, the bandana is a good idea.

What you are essentially doing, is flattening out your hair so it doesn't get in the way. Bandanas shouldn't have seams or creases there, that is cheating (or hindering, whatever way you look at it).

Shaving my head could also be considered cheating. it's easier to balance a ball there without hair in the way.

Briney gets a thumbs up from me.

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
StreetMage

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Why is making something easier on yourself automatically considered cheating? Why isn't it just considered smart?
PorcuBrine

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject:

easy in the short term, harder in the long term. It's much harder to relearn something later than it is to learn something properly from day one.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
xdavidx

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject:

couldn't have said it better Brine!

easier doesn't equal better, just equals more work when that krutch is taken away.
StreetMage

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 12:58 am    Post subject:

I believe in learning things in levels. Information learned while performing an easier version of a task will still apply to harder versions. If something is difficult, often learning can be sped up by making it easier, or giving yourself a "crutch." Once you're comfortable performing the task with the crutch, take the crutch away. Often you'll find you're miles closer to learning the task than you were before you let yourself hobble along on that crutch for a while.
PorcuBrine

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject:

There are efficient ways of doing this, I'm not saying start off with a hand to body roll and don't stop until you've got it (although that would be cool). Instead there are ways of practicing that instill good form; for the head stall hold the ball in place while you find the stall, then get used to moving your hand a cm away and keeping the balance then build up from there.

This was mentioned a while ago in reference to chestrolls and at the end of the day all we're doing is offering advice for efficient learning, you can choose to apply it or not as you see fit.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
xdavidx

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject:

[quote="StreetMage"]I believe in learning things in levels. Information learned while performing an easier version of a task will still apply to harder versions. If something is difficult, often learning can be sped up by making it easier, or giving yourself a "crutch." Once you're comfortable performing the task with the crutch, take the crutch away. Often you'll find you're miles closer to learning the task than you were before you let yourself hobble along on that crutch for a while.[/quote]

I see where you're coming from, but it's not always true. Look at the 1b palm spin iso. It's easiest with a 4" acrylic and you can learn it with a 4" acrylic, but when you go to do it with a smaller and lighter ball it's not going to be so easy. The 4" acrylic has different properties than a small and/or lighter ball and you'll basicly have to relearn how the smaller/lighter ball spins before you can get the iso. The same's true for this. Using a bandana or not is the same basic idea, but using a bandana has a different property than not. If you've learned with the bandana then you try with out it you're basicly going to have to relearn the stall all over again because you're going to have to learn the properties of your hair (or if you're bald, you head).
StreetMage

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Actually, you probably won't have to relearn the whole stall all over again. If you learn to stall with the bandanna, you'll already be comfortable with the motions and principles of headstalling, so when you remove it, you'll be making adjustments to a skill you already have. Sure, it will take some time to readjust, but not as much time as learning the stall in the first place. Sure, if you learn the harder way first you can always backtrack, and maybe that's the most "efficient" way to do it, but it can also be discouraging and frustrating. I'd rather take longer and learn using a slightly less efficient method if it means I'll enjoy myself more and will save myself some headaches. I'm doing this for fun. I'm not in a rush.

Also, when I said "learning things in levels," I was talking about individual moves. I don't think anyone is going to start with the hardest move in sphereplay thinking he'll just backtrack and everything will be easier from there on. I was talking about learning each move in levels, if that's what it takes.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: