ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Circle....exposed!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T0dd

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 4:02 am    Post subject: Circle....exposed!!!

I've had all kinds of difficulty with this move, which seems like a "staple" CJ move that I ought to be able to do by now. But I seem to fumble it all over the place.

Now I'm ready to place the blame....on briney! It's that tutorial video! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MWHJr1vKRoE) When you do the move slowly, the hand position for the palm-to-palm transfer is with the palm heels together, fingers pointed out to either side. And that's how I've been practicing it. But what I didn't notice until tonight is that once you start doing the move continuously, your hand position changes....sneaky! Your fingers are pointed more forward, so that the angle between them is 90 degrees or less--the more you do it, the smaller that angle gets. I've been struggling to keep them as close to 180 degrees as possible, and it just doesn't work for me. Letting the hands make a smaller angle makes this move much more doable. And if I still can't learn it I'll find someone else to blame...
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Circle....exposed!!!

T0dd wrote:
And if I still can't learn it I'll find someone else to blame...

Lol. Hmm... I do it the way you first described. I just tried it the second way and it's hella awkward to me.
Illumilatte

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject:

Heheh oooh, the tables have turned now Briney!
Somnilocus

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject:

It must be... SABOTAGE.
dpizarro159

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

i think this move has to be adapted how you like to do it... in my case i also try the closest to 180ยบ and i still can get this move perfect how i want it... although i dont blame briney is a good way to do the circle, just another variation but with the same purpose

viva la revolucion!
Cannonballjames

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject:

First, you're not alone on troubles with that move... I saw people doing it smoothly, and wanted it. I didn't have as much trouble on the back to back part as palm to palm, oddly. palm to palm circles eluded me, I could NOT get that stupid ball to roll smoothly! It kept bouncing around. But I got it eventually. I never really paid attention to my hand angle until you mentioned it, I think mine usually falls somewhere between 180 and 90, probably in the 130ish range if someone measured... I checked in a mirror trying a wide angle and narrow angle, and I think the closer to 180 definitely has a better look, especially with a smaller 3". A 4" probably isn't quite as big of a deal, but the 3" got kinda hid by my fingers if the angle got too small. Plus, I think the circle itself just had a better appearance with hand positioning and all with it wider. I'm going to try to work on mine I know, and get closer to that 180. Thanks for pointing that out, I don't think I ever would have noticed otherwise.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject:

Whoops my mistake, I tend to have a fast technique and a sloooow technique. Example? Fast butterfly uses two finger cradle and slow butterfly uses three finger cradle.

I think the one I do slowly is the desirable one.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
T0dd

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Cannonballjames"]I checked in a mirror trying a wide angle and narrow angle, and I think the closer to 180 definitely has a better look, especially with a smaller 3". A 4" probably isn't quite as big of a deal, but the 3" got kinda hid by my fingers if the angle got too small. Plus, I think the circle itself just had a better appearance with hand positioning and all with it wider. I'm going to try to work on mine I know, and get closer to that 180. Thanks for pointing that out, I don't think I ever would have noticed otherwise.[/quote]

For me, to get the 180 I have to have my hands at about the level of my mouth. That same height feels awkward for the b2b transfer, so the result is a need to move my hands up and down during the move. This not only increases the likelihood that I'll fumble the ball, but it also spoils the visual circular effect. If I let the angle get smaller, I can keep my hands at about the level of the top of my sternum throughout the move. This works better for me. The fingers don't eclipse the ball much if I just keep them OPEN, fighting a natural tendency I have, especially with my right hand, to let the fingers curl.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I do mine about chin level. I just checked in the mirror, and if I stopped in the middle of either back to back or palm to palm, if I moved my head straight forward a few inches, I can rest my chin on my hands. I tried doing one down lower like you were describing and I can see how trying to get your hands 180 would be hard if not nearly impossible. Something that might help with the b2b transfer in other locations is doing it as a staircase up and down. James Ernest's book describes that if you have access to it. I know that helped me. I got the book from a local magic shop for like $20
su2po

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2024 12:01 am    Post subject:

[quote="Somnilocus"]It must be... SABOTAGE. [/quote]

not.................SABOTAGE!!!
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Tricks and Moves All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: