ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Contact balls - and stain removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollingphysics

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 2:21 am    Post subject: Contact balls - and stain removal

So on the recommendation of the MoM, I imported a couple of contact balls (I got them from Firetoys) and was properly impressed. These are damned nice for one-ball body-rolling, with a real weight but not as tiring as a 4" acrylic. Stalls got about 10.4 times easier (rough figure). The contact balls pretty much immediately replaced my stage balls - BUT - there are a few problems that should really be mentioned.

1) the seams are a little bit more noticeable than on a stage ball - there was some greenish discoloration along the seam on the yellow ball

2) the really tacky surface means the balls pick up everything. dirt, hair, and sadly - ink. I left the yellow one on top of something overnight, and it picked up a perfect mirror-image ink stain, like Silly Putty. Soap and water and scrubbing have not helped much, and so now there's a pretty horrible tell mark.

Has anyone else had this experience, or had more luck getting ugly marks off of contact balls?

-Brian
Saulie

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject:

Better than a Stage Ball? even A Dube Stage Ball?

I am VERY curious then...

Saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
Illumilatte

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject:

Try WD40? That stuff works pretty good. Also I found these suggestions. Let us know how they work

------
Some cleaner made for removing ink: http://www.berings.com/ProductDetail.cfm/go/Product=648884
------
Remove Ink Stains From:
Acrylic Plastic, Ceramic, Glass/Tile, Cork, Glass,
Plexiglas, Polyurethane, Porcelain Dishes,
Porcelain Fixtures, Vinyl Clothing, Vinyl Wallcovering

Apply an all-purpose spray cleaner, following label directions. If any trace of stain remains, cover area with a compress sprinkled with ammonia. Rinse well and wash with a cloth dipped in warm sudsy water. Rinse again and allow to dry.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-remove-stamp-pad-ballpoint-pen-ink-stains.htm
------

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

------

Peanut Butter

------

Hairspray or Hand Sanitizer: Hairspray and Hand Sanitizer work because of the alcohol they contain. If you have it, just use rubbing alcohol.

-------

What worked was putting an acne medication containing benzoyl peroxide on it and putting it under a desk lamp for several hours. I had to repeat it a few times, but after 4 or 5 'treatments' the ink stains have faded to almost non-existent.

------

Like I said...no idea if any of those work. But hey, at least you have some entertainment for awhile.
Arnar
i am a......

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 4:46 am    Post subject:

ive tried and tried and tired to get stains out of stage balls and im convinced that its damn near impossiable
Drew

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

Brian: Glad you like them. sorry, got nothing for getting stains off them. I think its the same problem with all stage balls. If it helps to know, the material is (probably) PVC.
Latte: thanks for doing the research, I'd love to hear if anyone try any of these cleaning methods.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Yep, Stage balls require a little bit of care. not as much as acrylics, but still some care.

Keep stage balls separated by colour. the colour will transfer.

Don't leave them in the sun for prolonged periods. the heat will warp the PVC, and also give the ball a suntan.

The green on the seam... not sure why that is. I bought a yellow one from Oddballs two weeks ago. it was perfect, which is a good thing, as it was a present for somebody.

The guys from Beard told me that Acetone (Nail polish remover) was the best way to wear in new devilstick handsticks, as it removed the outer shiny surface of the silicon, leaving them grippy. Maybe it will work in the same way with the ball? Can't guarantee it won't destroy your ball, though, as I've never tried this theory.

They are amazing to use though.
Dizz
Not so Normal

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I have always heard that stage balls were vinyl.
jstntlvr

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject:

PVC = Poly Vinyl chloride
Kakihara: Listen, when you're giving pain to someone, don't think about the pain that person is feeling. Just concentrate on how good it feels to be causing someone pain. That's the best thing you can do for a true masochist!
Royal

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Spaghetti sauce. No, I'm serious! I had this dirty rubber ball (really dirty, it was black) and none of it would come out no matter how much soap or water or anything I used. So my friend (who is an ass) said "Oh well, too dirty to use then!" and through it in my spaghetti (<--- see? ass) When I washed the sauce off the ball I noticed that wherever the sauce had been, it was as clean as if it was brand new. So I covered the ball in sauce and washed it off and it was clean!

I don't have a contact ball, so I don't know if it'll work. Who knows? May as well try!
dirtyballs

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2024 12:23 am    Post subject:

i really want the spagetti sauce to work
Pourtant

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Sorry if this seems off topic..

I've been playing with my acrylic ball, and since I am fairly new, I have been thinking I should have gotten a stage ball instead because I've already put a noticeable crack in my ball.. Even when I'm attempting "fingertip to palm", I can feel the crack.. I have an odd OCD about things like this.. I'm already reconsidering buying a new ball..

Do you suggest a stage ball or a new acrylic? I was just thinking learning the basics with my current ball, and then when the time comes to get a new one, just buy a new acrylic and a stage ball..

Do stage balls break easy? I really need to read up on all the different types of CJ balls..
daisylou

Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject:

a stageball is made of rubbery stuff so doesnt break...its lighter weight than an acrylic and much more durable for learning with especially for body rolls. but yes they can stain so if you want to keep it looking all pretty its best to watch you dont drop it in anything and if you do clean it asap. acrylics are magical and amazing and great for learning isolations, but yes prone to scratching and chipping etc. oh and causing fires and various other things hehe. so they also need lots of care and love
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: