ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
First day and left hand observations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redster

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2024 2:30 am    Post subject: First day and left hand observations

Observations from an ickle baby CJer...

I only started yesterday, and I went into this with the knowledge that my left hand was weaker and would need more work. After reading the forums on the subject, I figured that I'd use my left hand as my primary hand for starting things with to help give it an advantage. I've been working at the palm-cradle transfer using my left hand, and I started with a quick play with both hands to assess that they were both indeed equally appalling, and have been working with my left hand since. Since I'd been improving and dropping the ball a lot less this evening, I figured it was time to give my right hand a go. After an initial couple of fumbles, I was very startled to realise that my right hand had actually picked up the movement better than my left hand, despite not having been worked with. No idea if this will be the same for all the moves I try, but given this little experiment, I reckon that I'd be doing myself a favour by starting with my left hand whenever I try something new. It's a confidence boost, too. After all, if I can do it with my weaker hand, then doing it with my dominant hand shouldn't be any problem at all, right.

Also, I've been getting used to holding the ball in the cradle of my left hand while browsing the interwibble. Right hand is occupied with the mouse, brain is occupied with what I'm reading, left hand is getting a needed workout. Whether or not this will be very helpful in the long run, I know not, but given I like to fiddle with things while messing around on the internet/watching TV/etc, I figure that this is an entertaining way to keep my left hand occupied and get some practice in.

On the patience front, I've noticed that I'm grinning and even laughing when I drop the ball (okay, maybe there was a giant wince last night at 1am when it went flying, knocked my waste bin over loudly, and I had a horrid moment where I thought I'd woken my parents up... but apart from that), which is something I find strange. I taught myself to toss-juggle a good few years back (and I'm still pants at it), and found myself cursing a lot when I dropped balls. I thought the same would happen with CJ, and so far that's not happening. I'm just finding it amusing, and it's really odd. But then just playing with the ball feels something more like meditation than trying to pick up a skill, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: