ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
fire sphere
Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePartyMarty

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 1:15 am    Post subject: fire sphere

I was wondering what the best fuel for fire cj would be. I tried using some gasoline and it seemed to work pretty good but it seems like there are better fuels available to me. I'm open to all sugestions, thanks
Twisthem488
Holder of the Titanium Spork

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject:

First things first, and that is, Gasoline is not a proper fuel for any fireprop. Home of Poi says, "GASOLINE, PAINT THINNER, AIRPLANE FUEL, and other highly volatile fuels are extremely explosive and extremely toxic. The fumes remaining in a one-gallon can that has been emptied of gasoline can explode with the force of a stick of dynamite. When it is very hot and humid, gasoline fumes will not readily disperse and may be ignited as much as a half hour after all the original products are capped and stored. The fumes from Coleman, lighter fluid, and barbecue starter will explode almost as readily, but not with quite the same force -- say, a half-stick of dynamite. Kerosene and lamp oil are fairly hard to blow up, which is why they are used in lamps and home heaters."

Perhaps you'd like to take a look at the Fire Safety Guide

But directly concerning your question, I know others have done it with white gas and a wooden ball, but I'll wait for those with experience to come on and recommend it before you should listen to me.
Zap101

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject:

First off... that was foolish to try gasoline. I honestly cant see how far you got with your sphere if you did anything at all. Listen to Twisthem... Firesafety first cool fire stuff second.

Now... tips... Colemans White Gas and Lamp Oil combination works well soaked into a wooden sphere. Now White Gas if you look it up is what causes the high flames and the reason why i suggest/use Lamp Oil along side is to give you atleast a little bit of control over the flame.

So ahhh the mix i use is what Micheal and others suggested about 75% White Gas and the rest Lamp Oil. Now this isn't always a sure fire combination your gonna have to play around with it. It is fire after all. So after you have your mix in a pan preferably put your Wooden sphere in there for like... 10-30 seconds rotating it to have it evenly soaked. The longer you let it soak i think the higher the flame might be and a longer burn but ive had short soaks last forever and a day and burn cool if that makes sense.

Also fire safety is uber important. First realize that it is fire it does burn so consider your clothing and kevlar gloves for protection. Twisthem's video will cover that along with what you should have nearby like a fire blanket, a safety (Guy who makes sure no one catches on fire) and so on and so forth.

Huh... i hope that all makes sense. Just remember Fire Safety first, Coleman's White gas/Lamp Oil, and NOOOOOOO GASOLINE!!!

These are videos of firesphere. The Youtube links are me where i use whitegas/lamp oil and Thatballguy did the other clip where im not positive on what he used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfM-9eEN5kk

http://thatballguy.com/videos/firecj.mpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXORx3h8tFw

Please... be safe fire isnt a toy.
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject:

Fire CJ...

Got Need?

I didn't think so.

My posts are written with a sense of humour. Please read them with one.
ThePartyMarty

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the suggestions everyone
he4rty

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject:

Apparently after having a go at fire breathing and juggling the main reason to use Kerosene is because the liquid burns not the vapour but all other types of fuel it is the vapour that burns not the liquid, just remember to shake off any excess lose droplets or they'll fly off and hit you.
nagini

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject:

to: look this changes! (who says that there's no need of fire CJ)

i don't agree.

have you ever tried to perform on the street?

people (and especially kids, that, in my opinion are the best kind of public) are more attracted by fire.

i've noticed that poi (especially with the chains on fire), even if it's easier to learn (at least to learn the basics, in my opinion) attracts much more people than CJ (so you can make more money).

fire it's more spectacular...
(but i prefere "classic" CJ.. it depends on what you want to do with it)

but that's just my opinion
daisylou

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject:

i have no need

i did fire devilstick once and burned myself on an arm roll

i never did it again

nuff said

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:23 pm    Post subject:

I would do fire staff, but I dont know about CJing.

I have fire CJed. With wooden spheres and the cage spheres. I have watched some of the best at CJ do it with fire. To get experience with that.

But fire CJ is no joke. it can be done. But it is of the most dangerous to work with.

I dont think that I will fire CJ again. Though it looks great. I like my cjing to be slow and methodical, you have to keep moving fast with fire aginst your skin.

So I have been working on a way to drill holes in CJing spheres to even the weight out and be able to insert glowsticks for a safe, glowing sphere for night time CJing.

saulie

Saulie@contactjuggling.org
Redster

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:53 pm    Post subject:

From my best friend:

"Hydrazine, because if you're going to auto-darwinate, you might as well do it in style."

Muah ha ha ha ha! *runs away fast*

Quote:
Saulie:
So I have been working on a way to drill holes in CJing spheres to even the weight out and be able to insert glowsticks for a safe, glowing sphere for night time CJing.

So are these glow-in-the-dark and LED CJ balls I've been seeing around on the interweb no good? Genuinely curious, because the glow-in-the-dark ones are pretty tempting for glowing-in-the-dark-shiny reasons. Mmmm, shiny.
PorcuBrine
Chitter-chattering, wee magical heather bear

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject:

UV is the future for shiny contact, but you're right fire CJ does seem like a crowd pleaser, Crystal Ball Paul used it as the finale to his street show and got a great reaction.

CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBE
su-nami

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Look!_This_Chånges!"]Fire CJ...

Got Need?

I didn't think so.[/quote]

what is this need i keep hearing about?

Dark night of the soul.
Caver

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject:

Does anyone need this? ...

No I do not have this card.

I may check with the local MTG shop to see if they have some.

Just to have around... With my luck, it is probably a highly desirable "rare".
daydream
MoM Mobsta

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:

i don't agree.

people (and especially kids, that, in my opinion are the best kind of public) are more attracted by fire.

i've noticed that poi (especially with the chains on fire), even if it's easier to learn (at least to learn the basics, in my opinion) attracts much more people than CJ (so you can make more money).

Depends on the performance you are trying to do.... CJ sans fire can do just great if you know what you're doing.

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject:

[quote="daydream"]
Quote:

i don't agree.

as a poier and a cjer i have to disagree totaly, for a long time i have been working mainly with isolations and i can pull a crowd with cj in a matter of seconds there are few passing that dont stop.with poi however, sure some stop but alot fewer and it takes longer to pull a crowd, the only fire prop iv seen pull a crowd like cj is a fire hoop. the crowd i pull with cj cant understand how its done they want to believe its magic and i make soooooo much more money out of my acrylic than out of any of my fire props. but then again maybe its different where you are there are not so many cjers in ireland

Dark night of the soul.
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> Knowledge Base Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: