ContactJuggling.org Forum Index ContactJuggling.org
Half dance, half juggling, half mime, half magic....I'm a contact juggler, not a mathematician

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Finger movement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redster

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Finger movement

I'm playing around with 1b palm spinning, starting with my left hand, then having a play with my right hand, which is being a bit more awkward with this move than it has with the rolling transfers and the like. My first thought is that it may well be my pinky and ring finger on my right hand. See, those two fingers are a bit strange for me. I can't curl the pinky without the ring finger curling with it (though I can curl the ring finger all by itself), so I'm wondering if that may be effecting the smoothness, because even though the movement is subtle, those two fingers have never really been forced to work independently before (so I expect I'll be okay with the move, I'm just going to have to treat my right hand as my weaker hand)? Any thoughts? Could this be problematic for other moves? Any idea if there's any sensible way to train my fingers out of this, or are they just wired this way? Anyone else got any peculiar finger/hand quirks they have to work around with CJ?
Look!_This_Chånges!
Messing with Heads

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I think everybody has that with their pinky and ring finger. Just like when you stretch other parts of your body, you can decrease the tension there.

I have a broken ring finger on my left hand. It's about 7mm shorter than it should be. Doesn't cause me any problems though. in fact, my left is my stronger hand.
daisylou

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject:

my hands are about the only normal things i have. everything else is defective in some way or another.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 10:50 pm    Post subject:

i seem to remember that those fingers share the same tube for the tendons, hence the link between the fingers. it's just the way we're built.
ljcoombes

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Redster,

Is the tie between the pinky and ring finger different in your right hand than in your left?
Redster

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the same fingers on my left hand don't have that particular problem and work independently. I always thought it was a bit odd that I'm right-handed, yet my left hand fingers are definitely more flexible and mobile.
dpizarro159

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 12:59 am    Post subject:

i have a problem.. mi pinky is way to small and it messes me with isolations sometimes.. but practice makes the perfection
Redster

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject:

You know, I feel oddly reassured by the fact that everyone else seems to have some kind of little quirk, too. I was talking to some friends online, and a couple of them have the same problem that I do, so I suppose it goes to show that all humans are weird.
Cannonballjames

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject:

you shouldn't really be curling your fingers around the sphere for a palm spin anyway, so it shouldn't affect it that much. The movement is really more like how you would drum your fingers on a desk, mainly moving at the joint where the finger meets the hand, but instead of drumming on a desk, you drum the air palm up as the sphere rolls over each finger.
Redster

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I'm not curling them, just noting my right hand is awkward and wondering if part of that is because those two fingers don't move independently easily. The curling was the example of what they do at their extreme.
su2po

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject:

i have been working on gettin my baby finger and ring finger to move independantly, so far they're not quite there but i can bend my baby finger further without the other following and i can move my ring finger on its own but i think i as allways able to do that.it hasnt effected my palm spinning tho. i dont know if its possible to get complete indipendance but ill keep ya posted =D
       ContactJuggling.org Forum Index -> CJ Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: