New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Site Suggestions
Author: Shifty 
Date:   02-08-02 18:16

Warning, Long post ahead.

I've been on here for quite awhile now, snooping around, looking at diffrent pages, and noticing the layout of certain things. I have here a list of suggested changes that "I" personally wouldn't mind seeing. Some of these may sound familier, and some of these you may have even said yourself. Feel free to add onto this post if you have an idea that isnt listed here, because after all. This site is what WE make it.

I will be doing this in the order that the pages are listed on the left column of my screen. And once again, these are just "Suggestions" Don't complain if you think an idea isn't up to par. By no means is this list complete, it's just all I could think of at the time.

Front Page:

1. The "Log In" box to be somwhere towards the top to center of the screen for easier viewing.

2. Comments column has no day breaks in it, I can see every comment ever made even though I have it set to 1 days worth of comments.

3. The side columns can't be resized sideways, this was a handy feature, and gave you more control to customize.

Profiles Page:

1. More information about people, such as, What type of CJ they like, their ball size preferance, the number of balls they use. These could be user optional fields. I know kae was hesitant about putting these on because he felt it might scare people away. But if you are really interesed in CJ, you won't have a problem with sharing what you do.... would you.....

2. This was the spot for the "How long have you been juggling" but Kae took care of adding that already.

3. A place for a user to upload a picture of himself, or a picture that he likes to represent himself with, that will show up in the corner when a person views a profile. This will keep people from just uploading pictures of themselves to the gallery, they could have their own little page with that on it.

4. A column to tell people weather or not you have AOL instant messanger, MSN messanger, or anyother chat client that would allow you to chat with people in real time.

Essays:

1. The comments do not appear when you add them. I don't know if it is an admin thing where they have to approve it or not. However I just thought it would point it out.

Moves:

1. Being able to group the tricks into bodyrolling/Toss-combos/Palmspinning categories.

2. (Mdamelio's idea) A way to group the moves in an "Isolation" group being if any ball is isolated in the move, that move will be listed.

3. Listing the diffrent ways to view the moves in a column type instead of being across the top in a line.

On the "View a move" page

1. A way to get in contact with the person who made the move in order to ask questions. Ex. have a link to the person's email in there somewhere.

2. A column that can show you what size ball is being used in the trick. (This also will be posted in the "Submit a move" page suggestions.

3. A way to only allow 1-2 votes per day per move.

4. A "Users recommended learning time" and "Users difficulty" These would be 2 settings that would be able to be filled in when submitting the move that would let the person say how long it took them to learn, and how difficult is was.

Subpage of "Submit a move"

1. A Description column for the person to describe the move when they submit it.

2. A Name column for the person to name the trick.

3. A ball size column (See above section)

4. Columns for learning time (in hours,days,weeks,months, years) and difficulty (Scale of 1-10) from the submitter's point of view as a base. (See above section)

5. A way for the person who made the video to fill in that same infomation at a later time, if they are unable to do it when submitting the move.

Videos:

1. I belive Kae is working on a way to sort the movies so I will wait for him to unveil it before I offer suggestions.

Maps:

1. A "I am here" spot on a map. for more of a visual aid when someone is looking up where someone lives.

Forum:

1. Line breaks between topics.

2. Not having to log in to post messages.

Events:

1. It says Kae is going to do more, so once again, I will wait till he changes it to offer suggestions.

Suggestions for New Pages.

I call it the "Meeting" page

This could be a page where people could come and add information about any get togethers they are having or would want to have, but isnt really official. A good example would be when Lance flew out here from California. He was in Virginia for a week, and asked if I could drive to meet him. (Which I did by the way, and was alot of fun, the man eats squid and raw fish, you know he's from California). Lance could have come to this page and say when he was going to be there, and where he was going to be. This isn't like the events page because it wouldn't be a "Event". It could be more of a page for working out personal meetings.

The "Gig" Page

This would be a page where contact jugglers could come on and lists the gigs they are having, where they are, and when they are having them. This would be especially useful when people who arei n the same area want to go and meet another CJ'r. It will also prove useful if you can't seem to get ahold of someone or don't know where they are. You could look on this page, and find out that they are preforming in Florida at a Circus.

Ok My fingers are now tired. I will come back and add more later..

Like I stated an hour ago, feel free to add your own insite and ideas to this post as well. And hopefully Kae will be compelled to work on some of this.

Have fun

Shifty

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Re: Site Suggestions
Author: thegoldenchicken 
Date:   02-08-02 19:21

So THAT's where my fine-toothed comb went. Great job Shifty, I think you pretty much covered it all.

-|Joe|-

Reply To This Message

Author: Jay 
Date:   02-08-02 19:52

I know I mentioned it in the past and Kae said we should use the Forums but I would still like to see a seperate section or Forum for Buying and Selling used equipment. Just my 2 cents.

Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   02-09-02 15:55

I'd like to see the chat log come back from the dead, I used to enjoy looking through there to see what the cjers in other timezones drastically different from mine were discussing.

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-09-02 16:33

Thats been done, look on the right side of your screen under Chat

S

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-11-02 19:50

Ok, no need to say if there is anything on your mind. But don't start complaining that nothing ever changes around here.

Reply To This Message

Author: Zoc 
Date:   02-11-02 22:31

Personally, I would like to know how to go about learning the format of the themes Kae is using. Just thought this would be an interesting chance try making a "skin" or the like. (all this rendering power and only Nothing to use it for)

Zoc

Reply To This Message

Author: Zoc 
Date:   02-11-02 22:31

I would like to know how to go about learning the format of the themes Kae is using. Just thought this would be an interesting chance try making a "skin" or the like. (all this rendering power and only Nothing to use it for)

Zoc

Reply To This Message

Author: Kae Verens 
Date:   02-12-02 10:31

>I would like to know how to go about learning the format of the themes Kae is using.

I'll write up a document on it - I'm actually considering changing it to a template method I designed for a project I'm doing here at work.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-12-02 19:35

Actually being able to control the colors of the pages would kick ass too. But since I made a nice long list, I'll let some other people add to it..:)

Shifty

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-13-02 12:00

okay - I just got a fresh download of the source of the site, and will work on this non-stop for the next few days.

Almost all of the suggestions made were ideas I had planned on doing myself - I will force myself to do them (no really!).

Expect a sudden enhancement early next week.

For a list of what I have done recently on the site, see http://contactjuggling.org/static/updates.html

When I have done the changes, that file will also be updated.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Author: Ferret 
Date:   02-13-02 13:56

Can you throw a pro-page in there.
I, and some others here are for hire.

The ability to list or promote yourself would be a plus. I have gotten gigs from being part of this group, but mainly through Kae saying here is ferret's e-mail, give him a buz, he can do this.

It would make it easier for you, and easier for them to see if they can hire someone in their area for small gigs and be able to contact those that are willing to be hired.

It would be up to the performer, to flesh out Their page. Contact info. dates available, promo pics, perhaps a short promo video. etc

If this goes up however, please don't everyone go putting up stuff that you cannot back up. If you can hang, Great! If you can't hang than don't give the site and the page a bad name.

I know that Ian, Lance, Matte, and Matt, could benefit as well as several others.

I am having a professional web page made up at cost (finally) but this is a great place for Entertainment Coors. to go and look.

When I get phone calls from them saying that they were given my number from another E.C. but don't know what to expect. I send them here.
Having it in a neat little package, will give them the info they want, and they can wade through the rest of the site there after.
E.C.'s are not jugglers. (usually)
they want info on possible hirees, they look for flash, comments from past E.C.'s, pictures and booking info. They are doing a job and want to do it quickly.

Having a Pro Page would facilitate that.

Your call

Ferret

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-20-02 06:49

Kae,

The Chatlog needs a fixin. It only shows up to the day when you made it. I tried reloading several times but to no avil.

Just another thing to fix.. Merry whatever..

Shifty

BTW.....Where is everyone else's Suggestions????

Reply To This Message

Author: seb 
Date:   02-20-02 10:50

umm, well just a minor one here... in the interest of not allowing australia to claim any of our outstanding sports results or other intelectual property (like pavlova) i feel it is my duty to point out that new zealand isnt actually part of australia. theres a big sea in between which manages to keep most of the aussies out of nz ;) ways to fix this could be: changing the word 'australia' to 'australasia' which incorporates much of the southern seas.. or by having new zealand as a seperate entity all together..
i hope you are all in good health
your colleague
seb

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-20-02 11:40

the chatlog as is is just a static archive of existing messages.

I have a dynamic version at home waiting for me to grab the CD writer from work and bring it in (I'm not online anymore at home).

Also, a lot of the changes requested are done.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Performers Pages
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   02-21-02 11:02

I agree with Ferret.

Performers Pages are necessary to allow people to get gigs.

Hey Ferret.
How much do you cost for a gig?
When are you booked?
Email me the info.

As a side note.
Is anyone doing a CJ tour?
Or are any CJers in a tour currently?
I know Viktor Kee is in Cirque D Soleil (how do you spell that again?)

The DVD is coming along well. Still in the pre stages. Email me for more info.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Author: KTesh 
Date:   02-25-02 10:04

Tips is getting really big.

According Apple Computers's website recommendations, they suggest limiting pages to not much longer than the height of the browser window.

Perhaps we should have a Tips page listing all the titles of the tips (as links), and then two or more pages of actual tips.

I'd also love to see a "top of page" button at the bottom of pages for fast access to the menus (or have the site go framed).

Reply To This Message

Author: Klas 
Date:   02-25-02 10:48

The keep pages short is in my opinion one of the stupidest rules in webdesign. I'm sure that whoever came up with it had good intentions and I've seen examples there it should be applied, but cutting down a page to several small pages just because it's long can often be a bad idea.

Regarding the tips page, I'm not sure, it's sure long but is it really a problem? Does it take long to load on a modem? If it gets longer it may be a good idea to link to a page containing only the specific tip from the top of the page and have one page with all of the collected. This should be fairly easy to fix since it's all database driven.

Klas, rambling

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-25-02 11:14

pretty difficult to limit the height of a page to the height of a browser window when you cannot be certain of the height - I am running on a 1400x1200 monitor at the moment, for example, yet sometimes also use 800x600, and other times view in Links at 80x25 characters.

Your ideas are good (except the frames idea). I'll add them into the updates when I get home.

I've been pretty busy over the last half week moving office, so haven't had much time to manage the website. There are other admins, though...

Kae

Reply To This Message

Date:   02-25-02 11:16

pretty difficult to limit the height of a page to the height of a browser window when you cannot be certain of the height - I am running on a 1400x1200 monitor at the moment, for example, yet sometimes also use 800x600, and other times view in Links at 80x25 characters.

Your ideas are good (except the frames idea). I'll add them into the updates when I get home.

I've been pretty busy over the last half week moving office, so haven't had much time to manage the website. There are other admins, though...

Kae

Reply To This Message

Author: ian pugh 
Date:   02-25-02 20:27

its a little thing, but i wish that the 'mark all read' link was at the top of the forum thread list as well as at the bottom. as i've said before, im a lazy bastard.

en

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-01-02 18:09

Some more suggestsions here Kae.

I was also wonderin which ones you have completed, if any.

1. A way to tell who is logged into the site at the same time you are, we had this feature in the last version of the site, dunno why it's gone.

2. A way to show who is currently in the chatroom without having to go in and check. (This one is for all you lazy people, *CoughIanCough*. :)

3. I'm sure I mentioned this but the chat log doesn't go past 2024-02-08 16:58:25

4. The number of Views a post has had. (Milkys suggestion)for example has nobody posted to a particular thread cause they haven't seen it or do they just not want to post.

5. An addition to the moves section for "Combos" which could be gifs, of more than 1 move linked together. Lance and I are having a hell of a time posting Erics moves because they are combos and we know not what to call them. A combos section would be good for this.

6. (Milkys Suggestion) some html tips on how to change the text or link to something in the text, or just have an easier way to do it. (Keyboard shortcuts, maybe)it's not fair that only the computer elite can make their text bold.

7. More Themes, Gothic is good and I like it, But a change of pace every few months would be great.

8. (Milkys Suggestion) a line at the forum for "last person to post was".

Alright thats enough for now. We'll keep on thinkin.

Shifty

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   03-01-02 23:06

Hey Shifty, Not that this is an actual help page or anything, but I DID post how to do a number of html tags in the forums in <A HREF="http://contactjuggling.org/forum/read.html?f=1&i;=125&t;=96">this</A> thread. Hope that helps.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-04-02 10:10

The chat log thing has been written - I originally planned on writing a script which would write static files containing a day's messages, but instead wrote a dynamic file which pulls out messages as requested (saves a small bit of drive-space).

I have also made some changes to the essays - once posted, you can view and edit your own essays until they are approved by an admin. No-one else (apart from an admin) will see the essay until then.

Also, I am almost finished an interesting section for the CJC - it will allow admins (designed with Ferret in mind) to add pages and edit them almost at will.

I had considered the idea of allowing people a host of profile things describing their favourites of stuff, their usernames in various messaging things, etc, but settled for a general text box where they can wax lyrical about anything at all.

There are a load of other little changes done as well - descriptions while uploading moves, comments panel is fixed, a new "todo" section for site improvement requests, etc, etc.

I'll see if I can get them uploaded by the end of the week.

On the Themes front, I will finish this lot of improvements, then take some time to rewrite the site in such a way as to allow for a templating system I designed for a project I'm working on here. Then, it will be simple for people to design their own contactjuggling.org sites. Hell - start designing right now - when this system is in place, it will be simple to convert your own samples into a working site.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Author: Mdamelio 
Date:   03-04-02 14:14

Hey Kae How do I get all those changes to reload onto my system. Cause I've not had any of them take effect. And I'm sure it's something I just need to do with the web page.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-04-02 14:33

They won't take effect until I upload them. I have all this on my computer at home, which is not online so I can't just upload them - I have to burn them on CD and bring that into work and upload from here.

I'll finish off this batch of improvements and hopefully have them up within the next four days.

Kae

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-04-02 15:43

Oh ok I thought I was doing something wrong, wouldn't be the first time :-).

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-06-02 21:47

Request on the maps pages, clickable image maps of the:

Continents
Countries
Canadian Provences
and US states.

I'd also like to request that the US states be broken up into two or more columns. It will shorten up the page, and make it easier for us on the tail end of the alphabet to find our state.

Reply To This Message

Author: ICU812 
Date:   03-06-02 21:52

I thought Canada was a provence of the US? Nead to check up on my geography.

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Reply To This Message

Author: silver 
Date:   03-18-02 20:42

A pro-page is a superb idea, I've been making a comfortable living from 1 ball contact for about 5 years now and already have an online-catalog page for the stuff i do.( I direct people to it from buisness cards rather than web searches) It also just happens to have a contact juggling info page alongside.(www.thesilverman.co.uk) I specifically designed it for speed and instant visual appeal, so non-jugglers can get an idea of what they're paying for.
I'm based in the midlands UK (and would dearly love to meet other CJers in the area.) and would apreciate any feedback on either side of my site.

Reply To This Message

A Page Site Suggestion
Date:   03-20-02 16:04

Alright. After discussing this idea with a few other Contact Jugglers around, I have come to the conclusion, that this is one page I think we should have.

I call it a "Newbie go here" Page. This page and what it contains would be everything that a newbie would want to know. Because lets face it. As much as we like to help out newcomers to this art, it gets dragged out everytime you hear the same basic questions..

"What type of ball should I use?"
"What size ball should I get?"
"What should I learn?"
"Is this ball too big for me?"
"Where do I get these clear plastic balls?"

This page would contain questions, answers, pictures, and everything else that a newbie would need to get started. I do know we have all these resources currently available. However if you come to this site with no navigational experiance, it can be quite confusing trying to find what your looking for. That way if we make a link Big enough and in a good place that everyone can see it, it would really benefit all these people who come here and then ask the same questions.

Any other Ideas for a Newbie page, feel free to add on. I'm sure I forgot to mention a few other Ideas for this page, but I figured this is a good place to start.

Shifty

Reply To This Message

Re: A Page Site Suggestion
Author: Aaron A. Gitzen 
Date:   03-20-02 16:54

Other things you might want to cover

1) recommended books/ videos for sources of information re: contact juggling

2) What is the first move to learn for palmspinning?

3) What is the first move to learn for bodyrolling?

4)the difference between palmspinning and bodyrolling tricks

5)how David Bowie became such a great contact juggler: (I must get asked about the labyrinth movie about 10 times a day).

6) Who is Michael Moschen?

7) Who is James Ernest?

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just dont' want to be there when it happens."

Reply To This Message

Author: Klas 
Date:   03-21-02 08:30

I don't think that the Moschen and Ernest stuff would be needed on that page. Put that in the FAQ instead and keep the page as short as possible.

The main function of the page as I understand it is to help newbies on the site to find stuff and to minimize the number of repeated questions in the forum.

Klas

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-26-02 20:29

On the moves page, a seperate column to "Name" the trick, and a Column to give it its "Technical name"

For example I am going to be submitting a move and calling it

"The Hammer"

However since that is not very descriptive.

It's Technical name is going to be

"1b Pinkyside arnroll to fist hold"

Or something like that..

But you get the idea.

Shifty

Reply To This Message

Date:   03-29-02 22:05

Here it is Rich.

Shifty wrote:
>
> Alright. After discussing this idea with a few other Contact
> Jugglers around, I have come to the conclusion, that this is
> one page I think we should have.
>
> I call it a "Newbie go here" Page. This page and what it
> contains would be everything that a newbie would want to
> know. Because lets face it. As much as we like to help out
> newcomers to this art, it gets dragged out everytime you hear
> the same basic questions..
>
> "What type of ball should I use?"
> "What size ball should I get?"
> "What should I learn?"
> "Is this ball too big for me?"
> "Where do I get these clear plastic balls?"
>
> This page would contain questions, answers, pictures, and
> everything else that a newbie would need to get started. I
> do know we have all these resources currently available.
> However if you come to this site with no navigational
> experiance, it can be quite confusing trying to find what
> your looking for. That way if we make a link Big enough and
> in a good place that everyone can see it, it would really
> benefit all these people who come here and then ask the same
> questions.
>
> Any other Ideas for a Newbie page, feel free to add on. I'm
> sure I forgot to mention a few other Ideas for this page, but
> I figured this is a good place to start.
>
> Shifty
>
> Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy
> to see you.

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-06-02 23:09

Don't know if this is in the list and I'll be damned if I'm gonna read through the whole thing :-) So I'll post it anyway. Under member info maybe a box that gives an Instant messenger screen name or some other way to contact cjers on the net, like ICQ or something.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Date:   04-07-02 10:54

I like this suggestion... as long as we cover our bases, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo and MSN.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-31-02 17:14

Ok so now that we know Kae is alive and well, and I have noticed some new faces on the forum. Do you see anything you would like to add? or have added? Changed perhaps? Just go ahead and list them here, Don't worry about repeating what someone else said, that just goes to show you that more than one person want the idea.

Shifty

Reply To This Message

Author: Androo Wood 
Date:   06-01-02 16:34

being new to the forums, i'm not sure about how this email thing works. in one area specifically: i'm having all the post go directly to my email address. but when i go on a vacation, i usually set my email up so that it autoresponds to every message. does this mean that this site will be getting hundreds of the same message from me whenever i go on vacation? if so, perhaps someone could tell me how to unsuscribe myself from the mailing list during my vacations...
thanks
Roo

Reply To This Message

Date:   06-04-02 10:36

to unsubscribe, send a mail to unsubscribe-cj_forum@contactjuggling.org (I think that's the address) - you should get a mail asking for confirmation, which you should reply to.

some people also get mails because they have "E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above." ticked in the forum. try unticking it.

can your autoresponder be configured _not_ to respond to a particular address?

Kae

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org