New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Previous Message  |  Next Message 
 Stuff I've learned
Author: Eric Schmiedl 
Date:   05-30-02 06:20

Well, this is my first post to this board, but since this isn't Slashdot, I figured I'd make my first post actually relevant :)

Places not to practice: (not all of these are from experience, thankfully!)
1. Anywhere near flat-panel LCD monitors.
2. In an aquarium
3. Near picture windows
4. In math class (professors don't like to be writing equations on the board only to suddenly wake up with a big bump on the back of their head and a circle of concerned students and one very embarassed one surrounding them)
5. In science class (acid in glass beakers. 'nuff said)
6. Anywhere where your brand-new laptop is open
7. *anywhere* in your house/apartment if you have to go somewhere (people moving about, plus sometimes you get the 'just one more minute' practice syndrome if you've almost perfected a trick)
8. *ANYWHERE* where *ANYONE* has feet whose toes are not covered, due to the CJ'ers corollary to Murphy's law: Anywhere where toes are vulnerable, they will get hit with acrylics.

Also, for people interested in CJing, run, don't walk, to your nearest library and check out _Contact Juggling_, the book mentioned on the front page. Work on the easy stuff for the loan period; if CJing seems like the right thing for you than BUY THE BOOK. AND the Michael Moschen video. And the Sphereplay video.

If you can't find/afford a 'real' CJ sphere, various stores sell clear rubber balls that have some electronics inside that flash or make a noise when they hit the floor- they make good learner's balls (even though the electronics may be off-center); plug up the hole with a rubber stopper of the correct size availible at any hardware store to make them less annoying. Also, the grippiness of the rubber makes for better control, something that's good for learning.

Lastly, even though it seems impossible to roll a ball from the back of your hand to the front over your fingertips, you'd be surprised what a month of practice will do.

Reply To This Message  |  Forum List  |  Flat View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Topics Author  Date
 Stuff I've learned  new
Eric Schmiedl 05-30-02 06:20 
 Re: Stuff I've learned  new
Shifty 05-30-02 06:44 
michael glenn 05-30-02 16:07 
Axl Rose 05-31-02 02:42 
eric schmiedl 05-31-02 02:50 
 New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In 
 Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    carry your balls wherever you go.