New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 palm spining with body rolling
Author: michael glenn 
Date:   05-29-02 18:12

Hi everybody,

I've noticed that their is a seeming seperation between palm spinning and body rolling.
I don't view them as so much seperate things but as building blocks for one other.
I have been looking at palm spinning and body rolling as things that can be combinded, not as doing one or the other.

Incorperating body rolls/ arm rolls with palm spinning seems to give more depth to the art.

What do you think?

Be Well,
Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Re: palm spining with body rolling
Author: Robin Spehar 
Date:   05-29-02 20:05

Agreed, Michael.
While they both do have a different asthetic they really still are the same thing I believe. Balls are, well, rolling on your body. Be it smaller circles on the palms or large broad rolls on the arms and so on. Shifty says you're doing a stack in one hand, rolling the top ball into a chest roll while switching the remaing three to the other hand and then recombining the now chest rolled ball to the top of the stack now in the opposite hand than the original. Riiiight could I have made than anymore confusing. Anyway this is something I've been _working_ on recently. I have been doing a move for a while now that incorporates a stack in say the left hand, rolling the top ball off to the right hand and up to an outside elbow stall, then to inside elbow, back to outside elbow, then down for couple of butterflies before replacing on the stack. While this is all going on the remaining three balls continue to spin and flip. Really quite a nice move. Eventually I want to get it from the outside elbow all the way around to the left hand as the three from the left trickle over to the right, much like my confusing description above. I agree-- rolls and spins are like chocolate and peanut butter. Two great tastes...
Cheers,
Robin

Reply To This Message

Palm and body
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   05-29-02 21:22

I have met Palm Spinners. They mostly do spinning. I have met Body Rollers they mostly do body rolling.

Then I have met those that do both.
I do both so I agree that they are the same or similar.

Robin. Are you doing a 4 ball pyramid. Then rolling the top ball of the pyramid to the other hand using a body roll, While transfering the 3 balls from one hand to the other.

Then when the body roll ball comes around it goes on top of the stack?

Any way I visualize it it looks coooool.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Re: Palm and body
Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-29-02 22:01

I'm a body roller myself, though I really enjoy someone who is a good palmspinner. I just don't like sitting still that long to get my fingers to do what i want them to. Also palmspinning is the expensive side of cj, if you are going to use acrylics which is what most use. I guess i'm just impatient :-)

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Author: Androo Wood 
Date:   05-29-02 23:56

it seems to me, that if one can say "i am a body roller, not a palm spinner" then one could focus harder and get more impressive moves than if one has to decide "am i in a palm spinning mood, or not" basically what im saying is that i think the less material you have, the less overwelmed you will be. consequently, the less material you have to study, the better you will be at what you do.
in addition, you will stop with your tendancy to steal other people's moves and come up with your own.
any one agree/disagree?
-Roo

Reply To This Message

Re: Palm and body
Date:   05-30-02 00:18

I wish. If anyone can do that I'd really like to see a vid. No I'm simply flipping the top ball off onto the cradle of the other hand then it rolls up to the outside elbow, then to the inside of the same arm, then back to the outside and back down to the cradle then back on top of the pyramid.

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-30-02 00:30

have to disagree there. The more the merrier. I used to like to think that sitting in my room all alone was the way to go that way if I ever saw someone doing the same move as me I would feel good knowing that I'd come up with it "all by my self"-- Well those days have passed. "Steal?" I think for the most part we've kind of let go of that idea here. We're here to share. Once someone can suck out my mojo and litterally "steal" my "style" with some arcane process then I'll feel differently about the issue. Though I do believe there are grey areas and lines can be crossed and people can be made upset. I always try to credit those who I've "borrowed" from.

Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-30-02 01:16

Here here!!
Cheers Robin bye the way jump on AIM if you are still about, we're having a nice chat going on. If anyone else is interested I'm MilkyD402 just hollar.

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-30-02 16:21

I agree with Robin that "stealing" is not really an issue. Moves are part of the whole collective, it's style that matters. For instance, I really don't like seeing someone mimicing another persons routine, it lacks originality. However, another player may do all the same moves in the routine but totally change it up and make it look completely different. Then they are creating and using their own brain, not just being a mimic.

Also Rich, yes I am spinning a 4 stack, rolling the top sphere down the same forearm, cut into a body roll with the opposite hand and as the sphere is at my chest, I trasfer the 3 stack into my opposite hand, complete the body roll and return the sphere to the top of the 4 stack. It's becoming one of my favorite multi-sphere moves.

Be Well,
Michael

Reply To This Message

Author: Chico 
Date:   05-30-02 17:37

Sounds hot michael. Can we expect a video anytime soon?

Chico The Showoff

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-30-02 18:31

I second that. Video, please please. That is just off the hook!

Reply To This Message

Date:   05-30-02 18:34

If you guys can walk me through how to post a video, I'll happily do so. I have a digital video camera and an editing program in my I-mac, but I don't know how to post something up on the site.

Be Well,
Michael

Reply To This Message

Author: Lance Coombes 
Date:   05-30-02 18:52

Michael, the posting on the site thing isn't working too well. Let me know when you have a video clip ready, and I'll be glad to host it for you for a while. Send me an e-mail at ookyspooky.com. You can send to any name you like at that domain and I will get it. Make up something. ^_^ I don't like to post any actual address because I am working REALLY hard to keep it spam free and stupid bots will pick up the weirdest things these days.

--
Imagine that there is some clever signature here.

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    The humble man presents himself with the most skill..