New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 HELP ME!!!
Author: Weado 
Date:   05-14-02 23:13

I'm a beginner in contact juggling please help me! I don't what to do!

Reply To This Message

Re: HELP ME!!!
Author: Shifty 
Date:   05-14-02 23:16

Grab a ball sit down and read all the essays in the essay section on beginning. Watch the movies we have posted here, check out the moves that rate on the easy scale, use that big soft piece of tissue in your skull known as a brain to piece things all together. And if your still having problems after that, ask us some more specific questions and we'll try to help you out in what problem you may be having.

S

Why, yes, these are balls in my pocket. And I'm also happy to see you.

Reply To This Message

Author: mdamelio 
Date:   05-14-02 23:57

I second what Shifty said, but in a softer more encouraging tone of voice. First off welcome to the community. Secondly like Shifty said, the essays are quite good, as well as the tips. There's a newbie guide in there as well. Another thing that may help you is combing through the Forum arcives, alot of the questions you may be thinking of asking have probably been asked numerous times already, and answered too :-). And on top of that sit in the chat room, if you have the time. Alot of people will be willing to help you with specific problems, but asking something as vague, as I'm new to cj help me, will just have people getting frustrated. How new are you? Can you do nothing but hold a ball in the palm of your hand, or do you already have a little skill? There is also two great videos and a book, that you can check out if you want to spend the money. As far as which to buy kind of depends on what you are better at. If you are more of a visual learner then I'd go with the videos, if you can learn from a book go with the text. I myself would use the text with the videos to supplement, but that's just me. So anyhow good luck and we all look forward to your more direct and to the point questions :-)

~Mickey

Reply To This Message

Author: Arron 
Date:   05-15-02 01:04

Weado,

I would recommend a book by James Ernest titled Contact Juggling. The book is listed on amazon.com. It is a really good start and will help you build up some solid basics. If you get a chance you might want to check out some of the larger juggling conventions in your area. Chances are that there will be someone at the convention who has a little contact juggling experience.

Good luck in your quest.

Reply To This Message

Author: ICU812 
Date:   05-15-02 02:16

Also, you might wanna pick up Michael Glenn's video, or the "Contact Juggling Part I" video for reference, or maybe both. That, and practice everywhere you go (find yourself a ball you don't mind hurting). And when at home, practice over your bed.

p.s. never leave your ball in the sun, EVER.

Jacques

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Reply To This Message

Author: MattMaan 
Date:   05-15-02 02:23

Go to www.contactjuggling.com, and download Rich Shumaker's video listed under "First Lesson." That's the most visual instruction I've found on the internet. Once you've practiced the stuff in the video enough to stumble through the moves, read through Ferret's "First Five" and "Next Five Steps" on this website. These essays can be difficult to read through if you don't understand the visual and tactual aspects of the moves, but they give you a deeper understanding of the art and lead you into the wide world of Contact Juggling,

Or at least, that was the easiest path for myself to learn the basics. If something else seems better for yourself, it probably is.

-Matt

Reply To This Message

I have always needed some help myself!!
Author: Rich Shumaker 
Date:   05-15-02 02:48

Jacques I left my lacrosse ball in the sun and it burned the house down.

Damn I put a shameless plug in and I got beaten to the punch damn!. Thanks Matt.
The video is old but hopefully when the DVD comes out I will update it.
Also I am getting other people to help out as well. Cuz I am lazy and I suck?(I pick on myself so Shifty doesn't get the chance)
Oh yeah and then we should point out the essays area. Good Job Shifty telling him where to go.

As Shifty stated "Ask a question?"(but be specific). And if it has been said before read it. Then if you have a question about it ask.

A question I would ask would be,(It helps that I ask myself the question because that way I know the answer)
Why does Rich Shumaker always recomend Lacrosse balls to people when most people like acrylics?

So how about starting with a 6" Metal sphere is the question I ask back?
Couldn't hurt too much.

When you start. Hurting yourself and others is a primary concern. So I could recommend a stage ball. Or why not a dollar store toy. Or maybe even a rubber dog toy.
2 Reasons.
1. Lacrosse balls are always the same size and weight.
2. They are ugly.

Huh????
Make an ugly ball look good and imagine what you can do with a good ball.

Anyway I digress.
I wanted to say good luck CJing. We kid new people and your new. So Kid Kid Kid. and Welcome!!

So have you answered the questions yet? and why didn't you post them.

Rich Shumaker
The Other Contact Juggler
Rich@ContactJuggling.com
www.ContactJuggling.com

Reply To This Message

Re: I have always needed some help myself!!
Author: Michael Glenn 
Date:   05-15-02 15:08

Welcome to the wonderfully wierd world of contact juggling/sphereplaying. It's an exciting time to be involved in this emerging art form since there is now a whole community to help you along as well as some really good instructionals.
If you learn well from books and text, then check out CJ by James Earnest as well as the essay section. A ton of info is available.

If you are more like me and learn visually, then watch all the videos on this site and you might want to consider purchasing Contact Juggling part 1 or Sphereplay or both. Between the two videos you will be have enough things to practice for the next few years. However the most important thing you can do is just to play. The sphere is an excellent teacher, if you drop it you did something wrong, if you didn't drop it you did something right. New things will happen by "mistakes", just try to remember what you did.

Good luck,

Michael

balls of lightning rolled along...

Reply To This Message

Forum List  |  Threaded View  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Reply To This Message
 Your Name:
 Your E-mail:
 Subject:
E-mail replies to this thread, to the address above.

message board by phorum.org

Contact Juggling

• el
  • pt
  • dot org

sponsored by
    Infinite Illusions
    Sleep on it.